engine oil switch to synthetic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Curious, are you aware Fram just redesigned their top of the line Ultra XG Oil Filters by cheapening them from wire screen backed all synthetic filter media to mid-grade synthetic blend media without wire screen? Just like their Tough Guard Series.

See the Oil Filter Thread if you want to get depressed. Fram was bought out by Trico, who apparently needed mo' money for their executive bonuses.
I wasn’t aware. That makes me sad. Back to no Fram then!

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I never use conventional as even regular changes leave behind goo. I got a car from my grandparents my grandpa always changed her around 3000 miles as far as I know. When I took it over of course I used synthetic and you should see some of the crap cleaned out. Looked like blood clots in the filter. I am almost to my third pile change and things have cleaned up some but still a process. Once that sludgey junk is in there it is hard to clear out. It is a 3.1L with around 112,000 and hopefully with regular changes I can get it nice during a regular interval. Group 3 synthetic even is far superior to conventional.

SpyderNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM 3500 LARAMIE CREW CAB 4X4 DUALLY 8' BOX
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
I buy the cheapest synthetic oil/filter from oriellys when I’m due for a change, 300k and no engine issues.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Cheapest at oreillys (at least here) is expensive. I find Walmart had the best prices in oil almost always. I hear you on using whatever works.