Engine performance moving forward

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
I was curious on everyone’s input and opinions on Diesel engines and their abilities and performance moving forward after being Knee-Capped by the EPA? Has that made you consider not going Diesel again on your next truck?

ruraldodge607

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
The EPA requirements along with FCA killed the EcoD truck. I got mine used knowing the issues and failures (put on 60k miles since), GDE tuned a little bit after I got and haven't looked back since. Best thing I did was GDE tune and having a stock ECM to swap out when the AEM came up and the EGR recall came about. Next truck, probably a diesel assuming not to many known issues and ability to remove any known problematic engine "stuff".

OP
OP
Shawn226

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
The EPA requirements along with FCA killed the EcoD truck. I got mine used knowing the issues and failures (put on 60k miles since), GDE tuned a little bit after I got and haven't looked back since. Best thing I did was GDE tune and having a stock ECM to swap out when the AEM came up and the EGR recall came about. Next truck, probably a diesel assuming not to many known issues and ability to remove any known problematic engine "stuff".

But That’s what I am getting at, what if “missing parts” Isn’t an option anymore? What if we are stuck with all that extra equipment and only able to have an emissions compliant tune? Then what

ruraldodge607

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
True. Reliability of those parts and warranty on them I think will be the name of the game. I had a chance before I got my EcoD to get a 2500 Cummins pre emissions, didn't thinking that's a lot of truck for what do, having second thoughts now.

If the EPA/CARB require a vehicle to have these emissions things then they need to be covered for life of the vehicle. Especially when it's not cheap to fix them properly (per them)

OP
OP
Shawn226

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
True. Reliability of those parts and warranty on them I think will be the name of the game. I had a chance before I got my EcoD to get a 2500 Cummins pre emissions, didn't thinking that's a lot of truck for what do, having second thoughts now.

If the EPA/CARB require a vehicle to have these emissions things then they need to be covered for life of the vehicle. Especially when it's not cheap to fix them properly (per them)
I don’t disagree with that, but the government usually isn’t in the business of giving back money very easily

ruraldodge607

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Ideally it'd be a manufacturer warranty that's mandated by the EPA/CARB. Realistically when a different administration is in the EPA might not have the time to crack down on "off-road" tuners is our best hope for not having to jump through hoops. (one can dream...)

OP
OP
Shawn226

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Ideally it'd be a manufacturer warranty that's mandated by the EPA/CARB. Realistically when a different administration is in the EPA might not have the time to crack down on "off-road" tuners is our best hope for not having to jump through hoops. (one can dream...)
Would’ve thought this current administration would’ve been that way but doesn’t seem to matter. The worlds moving to the mesmerizing feel good “green”. I have my opinions on that, but I digress

ruraldodge607

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Always thought it'd be interesting to see a study on longevity and environmental impact of a vehicle by removal of any problematic emissions systems versus the environmental impact of having to buy a new vehicle