Engine temp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

billsfaninfl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 SRT 10
Engine
8.3L V10
I'm a new owner of a 2006 Quad Cab SRT-10 with 25K miles. I have a couple of questions.

1 - I live in Florida and it's summertime. When I drove this truck 2400 miles from Utah back to Florida it drove like a dream. The engine temp always stays between 195-205ish which is perfect but after any trip 15+ miles when I shut the engine off, go into the store to buy something then come out and turn the ignition on the engine temp is near the 3/4 mark? Then when I start it, within a minute it goes back down to the 200-210 range. Is this normal? The truck is totally stock for now.

2 - Living in a hot climate do you guys think I should get a 170 thermostat? Will it cause a check engine light?

Thanks for any help with this!

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Your engine is going thru heat soak, this is perfectly normal . Your water pump stops with the engine ,so it stops pumping coolant, things continue to heat from the exhaust and block . When restarted coolant flows again and cooling resumes. Stay with factory t stat, not necessary to change.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
EVERY engine gets hotter when first shut off. Shutting the engine down stops the cooling process, it doesn't immediately start to cool down just because combustion has stopped. If your engine is stock and those are the temps you are running, leave the stat alone. You're good. If you start putting more serious modifications to it, then you can revisit that one if/when the temps start creeping up higher.

OP
OP
billsfaninfl

billsfaninfl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 SRT 10
Engine
8.3L V10
Thanks for the reply. Mods will be coming but I'm so confused where to start? I'm open to suggestions? Please feel free to let me know.