Engine tick intermittently????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StickyLifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Probably a leaky manifold that seals up with a bit of driving. Mine has been ticking hard and loud for years on cold start and even hot start when it's balls cold and the manifolds have even a minute to cool. Also ticks when sitting at a light after pulling my trailer down the interstate. Whenever the passenger side manifold has a chance to cool off, it will tick.

No metal in the oil, 48psi at hot idle, and constant oil changes. No lights and no issues FOR YEARS.

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Modern Hemi’s are known for their tick, if it doesn’t tick I would worry.
My 2019 classic developed a tick with only 25 000 km on it,dealer do the diagnosis&road test and finde nothing wrong with the engine,this tick is normal for hemi,just keep driving.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 has been the best for lifter bleed in my experience, even better than Red Line 5W-30. There are other Euro oils in the ACEA A3/B4 class that work, like Castrol EDGE 0W-40, Pennzoil Euro 0W-40, Quaker State FS 5W-40, and so on, but I found Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 to be the best.
Do you think that Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is really the best oil for the 3rd Gen HEMIs?

Rod Knock

Reaction score
Do you think that Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is really the best oil for the 3rd Gen HEMIs?
Sorry for the late response, missed this one somehow.

If you have a RAM 1500 DS then running your engine cooler is the best thing you can do. Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is the best off-the-shelf motor oil you can buy, yes, it is by leaps and bounds better than PUP 0W-40.

What you also have to understand is that boutique oil blenders like Red Line start out with pre-made cookie-cutter additive packages that they purchase from additive manufacturers like Lubrizol. They get to choose the base oils, and then they get the recipe how to tweak and enhance certain aspects of the additive package. That's why you see 600+ ppm Moly instead of 80ppm, because Roy Howel at Red Line is convinced that Moly is a superior friction modifier to organic friction reducers, as in "it lasts longer."

When you leave the world of API licensed oils, with a few exception like Royal Purple, you can buy a superior oil like Red Line, HPL, Driven, Motul, and others. No, I'm not mentioning AMSOIL, because they make their motor oils to be in line with API licensed oils. They are meant to last longer, not provide additional performance.

Once again, I'm sorry for the late reply, and I hope this bit of info helps.

Out there in the desert, I would definitively run a 180F thermostat. The best thing you can do for your HEMI!