Engine tick question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
A follow up question, do any model years fare better or worse than others? Thanks again.
in 2016 the needle bearings got an upgrade, but that only helps the damage from needle bearing fails, only one of the issues with hemi tick. It does seem like the 5 gens do not suffer as much as 4th gens, even now that they get into that 70k mile mark which seems to be the time when many cams fail.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I can say there is no way to win this argument, we will likely never know the truth. If it happens to you, luckily ram forum has some options other places don't.
Agree. No one knows the data set that may have been used to share any %. Percentages can be misleading if one does not understand the population or the subset sampled.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Don't put words in my mouth. You know from your background a 5 to 10% failure rate would be unacceptable at many levels for an engine with several million in service.

Here are your words:
"These 5 to 10% failure rate numbers are ludicrous. They would of pulled the engines with anything near 1%. Basic SPC and their World Class Manufacturing Quality Pillar would of highlighted any widespread issue."

You are calling the tech a liar.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
5 to 10% of what? Without data and stratification it is all hearsay. I'm not calling anyone a liar. Those are your words. I'm calling a failure rate of an engine (or virtually any high volume automotive part major assembly ) at the 5 to 10% level unreasonable (ludicrous). These failure rates would be unsustainable and the program based on NPV (which includes warranty) would not be approved nor renewed at those levels. The Life Cycle Cost analysis would not stand up to scrutiny at those levels. Do these engines have issues? Sure they do. Misfires, ticking sounds, MDS, exhaust manifold bolts, all seem to show up regularly. To state the obvious, I don't know the "Tech", we don't know the data set nor source, etc., etc. Have a nice day.

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
5 to 10% of what? Without data and stratification it is all hearsay. I'm not calling anyone a liar. Those are your words. I'm calling a failure rate of an engine (or virtually any high volume automotive part major assembly ) at the 5 to 10% level unreasonable (ludicrous). These failure rates would be unsustainable and the program based on NPV (which includes warranty) would not be approved nor renewed at those levels. The Life Cycle Cost analysis would not stand up to scrutiny at those levels. Do these engines have issues? Sure they do. Misfires, ticking sounds, MDS, exhaust manifold bolts, all seem to show up regularly. To state the obvious, I don't know the "Tech", we don't know the data set nor source, etc., etc. Have a nice day.

If you read my complete statement you'd know. I've decided l don't have enough time left in life to deal with gaslighting people. Bye.

OP
OP
D

dkelly3103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any update how your hemi performs, the tick is still there?
Yep it’s still there. Aside from a rear ended issue I just had its still running and driving great. No issues aside from the annoying tick.

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep that’s my thought at this point lol. At least will be easier to diagnose if something finally lets go.
I know how it feels, in my case the conventional oil was the last hope ,is quiet now,but no one knows for how long and when some problems come up,so in our case ,just keep driving,change the oil&filter in the right time and time will tell,good luck.

OP
OP
D

dkelly3103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Something that I just noticed today that I haven’t mentioned yet, with the truck at idle it has the very noticeable tick however if I bring the rpm’s up to even just 1500rpm the tick just about disappears. It’s not just the engine sound drowning it out, but you can hear the tick fade away the higher the engine speed. Not trying to bring a dead thread back alive just figured I’d post it since it’s somthing I just noticed.