engine upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamOnTheRock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hey guys new to the forum. i have a 2012 5.7 with muffler delete s&b intake and a bully dog tuner. im looking to get more out of the truck. looking into cams lifters etc... whats your thoughts. also should i ditch the bully dog and go another route or is it good enough? thanks

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
hey guys new to the forum. i have a 2012 5.7 with muffler delete s&b intake and a bully dog tuner. im looking to get more out of the truck. looking into cams lifters etc... whats your thoughts. also should i ditch the bully dog and go another route or is it good enough? thanks

A cam and a set of headers are going to rock your boat in Canada.You might want to start pricings things out,then decide if you want to spend that kind of money.Hit up Chris Zelinsky of Player 3 Performance Tuning on Facebook,he's Texas Speed and Performance's cam dealer in Canada,and right now is selling the TSP cams for his cost.You'll have to track Chris down on facebook as he's not any of the forums.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you custom tuned? If not I'd start there. The v6 efan is also a great mod for freeing up the Hemi...

Goose_1327

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you custom tuned? If not I'd start there. The v6 efan is also a great mod for freeing up the Hemi...

Hey I’ve been researching and was wondering if a fan like this would work?

76bfb7fc1d823eab00be8aa799bee573.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey I’ve been researching and was wondering if a fan like this would work?

76bfb7fc1d823eab00be8aa799bee573.jpg

Try it first with just the stock e-fan,if it runs hot then spend the money on upgrading to the V-6 fan,or the fan you have pictured.Lots of guys are running just the OEM e-fan with no issues,even down into the hotter states. I've ran my truck hard on 95F days with just the OEM fan and it's never got over 195F with a 180 T-stat.I'd see how the stock fan does,before spending money on a different electric fan,why spend money if you don't have to,lol

Goose_1327

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Try it first with just the stock e-fan,if it runs hot then spend the money on upgrading to the V-6 fan,or the fan you have pictured.Lots of guys are running just the OEM e-fan with no issues,even down into the hotter states. I've ran my truck hard on 95F days with just the OEM fan and it's never got over 195F with a 180 T-stat.I'd see how the stock fan does,before spending money on a different electric fan,why spend money if you don't have to,lol

I have a 2013 so stock fan is pretty inefficient. I wish they’d spec the flow rate of the V6 OEM fan to say what I have dug up.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a 2013 so stock fan is pretty inefficient. I wish they’d spec the flow rate of the V6 OEM fan to say what I have dug up.

Mines a 14.Try the stock fan first,it's easy to go with a different fan if you decide you need more cooling.The OEM electric fan was upgraded in 13,so you have the good one with the heavy duty fan motor already.

Goose_1327

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mines a 14.Try the stock fan first,it's easy to go with a different fan if you decide you need more cooling.The OEM electric fan was upgraded in 13,so you have the good one with the heavy duty fan motor already.

Thanks for the info! I was misinformed thinking 2014 was the year they upgraded.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks for the info! I was misinformed thinking 2014 was the year they upgraded.

When they introduced the Thermal Management System in 2013 the e-fan also got upgraded

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
4.10s will be a great upgrade, 4.56s even better. Keep the transmission in the back of your mind though, the more power you put out, the higher the risk of the overdrive clutches failing. But a custom tune by either Jay Greene or Hemifever and gears would be my vote. If you want to get spicy, throw in a higher stall converter for that off the line dominance.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
4.10s will be a great upgrade, 4.56s even better. Keep the transmission in the back of your mind though, the more power you put out, the higher the risk of the overdrive clutches failing. But a custom tune by either Jay Greene or Hemifever and gears would be my vote. If you want to get spicy, throw in a higher stall converter for that off the line dominance.

The don't make a 4.10 ZF front diff,the best he can do is buy a complete 3.92 front ZF diff,or convert back to the older AAM front diff if he wants to go deeper then 3.92's.You can't swap gears in the front ZF diffs so he has to buy a complete front diff with 3.92's,not sure it's really justifiable if he already has 3.55's,unless he can find a cheap low milege 3.92 front diff.

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The don't make a 4.10 ZF front diff,the best he can do is buy a complete 3.92 front ZF diff,or convert back to the older AAM front diff if he wants to go deeper then 3.92's.You can't swap gears in the front ZF diffs so he has to buy a complete front diff with 3.92's,not sure it's really justifiable if he already has 3.55's,unless he can find a cheap low milege 3.92 front diff.
I know this, I have 4.10s in my 2012 currently, front and rear diffs. In the end, is anything we do justifiable? The trucks runs just fine without mods. He didn't put a price cap on the suggestions and the only thing I regret about the gear swap is not going 4.56.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock