Engine Vibration Through steering wheel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sman301

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have some vibration when coasting. It almost feel like tranny is stalling. Has anyone have luck fixing this issue?

william walker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi
I am having the vibration issue when my truck goes into ECO mode at slow speeds. I found turning on the haul/tow mode turns off the ECO and the vibration went away. I was not sure if it was just not me being used to the ECO mode on the truck.My truck only has 900 miles on it.

sman301

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I am having the vibration issue when my truck goes into ECO mode at slow speeds. I found turning on the haul/tow mode turns off the ECO and the vibration went away. I was not sure if it was just not me being used to the ECO mode on the truck.My truck only has 900 miles on it.

My vibration is more with eco mode. My wife was in the back seat and notice it. From my searches around this issue it can be the active tuned mass dampener, out of balance wheel, improperly inflated tires or tire issue. It can also be a combination of these things. If someone has fix vibration issues please post the fixes.

OP
OP
S

Shockedimpy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The vibration through the steering wheel and gas pedal is we’re its felt for me. What’s I’m feeling is 100% the engine revs not road conditions

sman301

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just had a balancing done and nothing was out of balance. Apparently what was found is all my tires had the different pressure and it was explained that it could cause the vibration I was experiencing and the cold can amplify the vibration because the tires are harder. Temps for the last week was averaging -20. I drove 30km after and it was smooth with minimal vibration on the pedal when accelerating or hills. No steering wheel vibration. On level road it was smooth. However when mds came on there was a some vibration with some booming sound. I turned mds off and it drove butter smooth no sound. Right now she rides better than my 17 v6 ram with mds off. I live in an area where there the road is are somewhat hilly and I think the truck is keep switching mds off and on to compensate for the hills and I can feel it and hear it or it's the active noise system trying to compensate for the cylinder shutdowns. Anyways with mds off my truck drives better than anything I have ever driven. Very impressed. Hope ram release some time of update to make the mds cylinder transition smoother.

sman301

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

I believe your issues are the same as mine. When eco lights come on it vibrates. I believe eco light come on when mds is activated.

Have you gotten it fixed? I

OP
OP
S

Shockedimpy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed the Pulsar tuner and took off the MDS as well. Much much happier with it now. I will check my tire pressure and see if that’s helps anything

sman301

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I installed the Pulsar tuner and took off the MDS as well. Much much happier with it now. I will check my tire pressure and see if that’s helps anything

Did you notice better or similar mpg using the puslar? I'm going to the dealer with the intention of him resetting the Active tunned mass module and checking the active noise control also to update, reset or replace. I read on another forum that a guy with similar issues got the Active tunned mass module replaces and his issues were fixed?

OP
OP
S

Shockedimpy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As of now my mpg are at 12ish of all city driving. But the truck also only has 670 miles on it.

And oddly, I’m not getting the engine rev vibration in the steering wheel anymore. U sure if it’ll come back raondomly or when it’s slightly colder again?

sman301

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So I added some higher octane gas to 3/4 tank of regular gas and it seems much smoother. The temperature is also above freezing today so that may also contribute to less vibrations when mds/eco mode is on.

OP
OP
S

Shockedimpy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes in addition I did start using 89 Octane as well...I wonder if it’s just that simple as far as fuel octane is concerned. But why would a slightly higher fuel octane make such a difference? Seems very odd

sman301

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yes in addition I did start using 89 Octane as well...I wonder if it’s just that simple as far as fuel octane is concerned. But why would a slightly higher fuel octane make such a difference? Seems very odd
Ram recommends 89 octane I believe but they also say 87 is ok.
Better gas results in better power and consumption efficiency generally.
I think the issue lies in the fact that mds brings down the V8 to a V4. A V4 on a truck should work harder resulting in more vibrations I would assume but better gas will improve a V4 power and performance. Maybe thats why 89 octane results in a smoother ride and better performance. Also its warmer now and every vehicle operates better when its normal and not extremely cold. So better weather conditions and better gas can be the reason why the HEMI is doing better

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
TBH I think there are lots of vibrations and lots of people are talking about different ones. And some people dont feel one whereas I might, etc.

To me, the MDS engage/disengage feels JUST like a chattering torque converter, which is pretty scary for those of us paranoid about automatic transmissions (like myself)

The "buzzy" vibration I get at around 2000 RPM (through the steering wheel, floor and gas pedal) is completely different. I havent looked back but I thought thats what this thread was initially started about, not the bogging-type vibration you'll get from MDS. Its a good discussion, regardless, but one persons "vibration" isnt necessarily the same as anothers.

OP
OP
S

Shockedimpy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
TBH I think there are lots of vibrations and lots of people are talking about different ones. And some people dont feel one whereas I might, etc.

To me, the MDS engage/disengage feels JUST like a chattering torque converter, which is pretty scary for those of us paranoid about automatic transmissions (like myself)

The "buzzy" vibration I get at around 2000 RPM (through the steering wheel, floor and gas pedal) is completely different. I havent looked back but I thought thats what this thread was initially started about, not the bogging-type vibration you'll get from MDS. Its a good discussion, regardless, but one persons "vibration" isnt necessarily the same as anothers.

Oh for sure. The MDS vibration is completely different then the buzzing sensation via the steering wheel and gas pedal. It did it slightly this morning but nothing now as it’s oddly 70 degrees in Massachusetts currently

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah someone on the Z forum has a similar issue....gets worse when its cold, thats a "simple" explanation (rubber stuff hardens up).

Mine, however, remains the same no matter what the weather. I would be thrilled if mine was just a "rubber hardening up" thing.

OP
OP
S

Shockedimpy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Random question...If you put your truck in RUN mode (without starting the engine) does the check engine light chime beep and the light blink several times before staying illuminated? (it goes away once you start the truck)

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I had 5 Hemi 4th gens, and none ever vibrated, but my new 2019 does. I thought I was crazy. I run 89 octane and it is 2wd, so not just a 4wd issue. It is worse in the morning, and worse when MDS kicks in. My 7th Hemi to date, and first one to do this.

G-rob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 5th Gen. 1500 hemi and the vibration is driving me crazy. new to this site and wondering if anybody has had any luck
returning the truck ? or filed a lemon law complaint ? if so let me know because I have had this new truck back to the dealer
four times with this problem and no fixes.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine