ESC fully off, or only partially.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kart20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Vehicle: 2021 Ram 1500 Classic, Tradesman, 4WD. Transfer case offers 4LOCK, 2WD, and 4LOW.

I have an ESC button and when I press it momentarily, the "ESC OFF" indicator light appears on the dashboard. But if I hold the button for five seconds, there is NO CHIME and the "ESC OFF" indicator light does not appear on the dashboard until I release the button. It doesn't matter if the engine is running or not, nor if I am in park, drive, or neutral. (I haven't tried going into ESC full off while 4LOCK is engaged however.)

When describing ESC partial off and full off in the owners manual, there is a note saying (if equipped) on description of both partial and full off. It appears to me that my truck is not so equipped. But if I'm not able to choose between full of and partial off.... which one am I getting when hitting the ESC button?

Can anyone shed any light on whether I'm getting full off or partial off when I hit the ESC button?

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you press the button it turns off the throttle restriction portion of traction control (the part aimed at preventing burnouts, drifting and fishtailing) but does not turn off brake-based stability control (the try to keep the truck from flipping over feature) and does not turn off BLD. In 4L stability control turns off but BLD remains active. As far as I know there is no way to turn off BLD without pulling a fuse or unplugging a sensor

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you want to disable the ESC while going off road, pull fuse F26.
You'll want to put the fuse back in while on public roads as it disables the ABS

marc cormier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
i never found that info for my ram but for my previous 2015 wrangler and even a few years back on my 2006 charger there was a wire in the center console that if cut (even only for 1 second) will fully desactivate all protection, abs/esp... just cut it with a switch and flip it when needed. it all reset when you turn off and restart the truck. it would be nice and a lot more convenient to do then pulling a fuse if it can be done

Armkb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i never found that info for my ram but for my previous 2015 wrangler and even a few years back on my 2006 charger there was a wire in the center console that if cut (even only for 1 second) will fully desactivate all protection, abs/esp... just cut it with a switch and flip it when needed. it all reset when you turn off and restart the truck. it would be nice and a lot more convenient to do then pulling a fuse if it can be done
Had done the same mod on a 2009 Tacoma. Simple cut and wire in a switch to deactivate ABS/VSC. Worked great. Anyone have any ideas what wire in a Ram would do the same thing?

OP
OP
K

Kart20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would seriously consider putting a switch in that wire, if I could find it. But, if my truck already goes into ESC full off mode when I push the ESC OFF button, there would be much less need to do that.

What I really want to know, is if my truck goes into partial-off or full-off mode when I press the ESC OFF button. The manual isn't clear about that. It describes how to choose between full or partial off (if equipped). But it doesn't tell you how it works when it is not so equipped.

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I cant do burnouts unless I pull a fuse? Not that I really want to, tires are expensive lol

OP
OP
K

Kart20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I figured it out on my own. ESC FULL OFF is only available when the transfer case is in 4LOCK mode (or maybe 4AUTO if your truck has that).

When in 2WD mode, only partial off is available.

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I figured it out on my own. ESC FULL OFF is only available when the transfer case is in 4LOCK mode (or maybe 4AUTO if your truck has that).

Yep you are right. It took me a while to find that out. Was trying to get it going on 2WD and then saw on YT one dude explain it. I don't think the owners manual says it either.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4

This is how my truck works as well. Seems strange to not let you turn it completely off in 2wd.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
This may help. It's taken from the owner's manual plus my notes. In 2-wheel drive if you want if off just pull the F26 fuse or modify F26 fuse through a switch.

Attachments

• 21a-ESC & TCS Description - JFJ.pdf
    63.6 KB · Views: 10