ETorque ? Anyone happy with it? Reliability ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdrianVall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7L ETorque
Hey guys,

I need some quick answers here! I'm currently in the process of potentially trading in my 20' Gladiator for a 20' Ram Rebel. It has the 5.7L ETorque with 12" UConnect and Panoramic roof. It looks BEAUTIFUL. I need it for the towing capacity.

However, I'm very hesitant of committing to it because of the MANY problems I've read about the ETorque. I know when you log onto these forums, you hear more complaints about stuff like this, so I wanted to see if anyone is happy with there ETorque system or if there are too many reliability concerns. I LOVE my Jeep Gladiator and I don't want to get into something that will break down any time soon.

So, what are your thoughts?

Thanks guys!

Adrian

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It seems you already have concerns about the ETorque from things you've read. I'm not very knowledgeable with 5th gen trucks but I vote for factory ordering or dealer searching inventory for a regular old fashioned 5.7 Rebel exactly how you want it. You'll spend a little more at the pump for gas but sleep easy at night not worrying about ETorque issues.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Gotta agree with the above. I'm always hesitant about new technologies stuffed into these things until a few years down the road when they finally work the kinks out.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It's simple really...etorque will only help with fuel economy if you stop a lot, like in city traffic. If you do a lot of highway driving you won't see any benefit from it. Base your decision on what type of driving you will be doing.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMO etorque is just another thing to break thats expensive. Even if you're not going to keep the truck for the longterm it could still break on you and yes warranty could cover it but the trucks still down. I agree with the above posts, keep looking for a truck thats equipped the way you like it.

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins
The truck I found on a dealer lot had it, bought it. I'm not unhappy with it, but wouldn't miss it if it weren't there. My dad has the almost same setup I do, except without eTorque and with different tires (AT on mine, RT on his). I have had to have a software update to address an issue with the 12V charging off the motor/generator, but nothing else has been an issue. And even that issue wasn't a breakdown as shutting off and restarting cleared the issue to return to normal operation. I get slightly better mileage, but there is the tire difference.

BrazenHaven

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 with eTorque
The truck I found on a dealer lot had it, bought it. I'm not unhappy with it, but wouldn't miss it if it weren't there. My dad has the almost same setup I do, except without eTorque and with different tires (AT on mine, RT on his). I have had to have a software update to address an issue with the 12V charging off the motor/generator, but nothing else has been an issue. And even that issue wasn't a breakdown as shutting off and restarting cleared the issue to return to normal operation. I get slightly better mileage, but there is the tire difference.

I agree. I have a 19 Rebel with Etorque and I haven’t had any issues with mine. ::knockonwood:: I have just over 15k so far. As far as mileage I get around 12.5 in the city as most of mine is city driving. The dealer had it and it wasn’t something I was specifically looking for. The start stop of the engine is more of a gimmick to me and if I am driving around town I usually turn it off as it’s super hot in Vegas and when the engine cuts so does the AC.

The battery for it is behind the rear seats and it essentially replaces the alternator with a generator.

But if you specifically don’t want an ETorque then build what you want or have them dealer trade. Don’t settle. It’s a buyers market right now. Just look at the rates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
It is hard to tell about long term reliability since the system is new. If you are a "trade it in every 2 years" kind of guy, it seems like a wash since any issue would be covered under warranty. If you are in the "long term keeper" camp, I would pass on eTorque until there is better data on reliability.

gzig5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So far so good with mine after 5k miles. Truck got 19 mpg for a 3700 mile round trip to Texas averaging 75-80 mph and has been getting close to 17 in stop and go thru the village here. I know it is another complication, but they have a few years on the technology and it was in the only truck I could find with specific features I wanted. I'm more worried about the panoramic sunroof I had to live with.

rotts4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 e torque
8500 miles on my E Torque and I am glad I have it. Its not huge but I like the technology and so far no problems at all. I would not go out of the way to buy it but if I found a truck with it and the other options are what I wanted I would get it

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The etorque provides at best a half mpg improvement and that is trivial for the owner but very important for Ram to meet the federal standards and for bragging rights to prospective buyers.

Check with the dealer as to the total cost to replace a failed etorque unit. To me I would want to pay for an extended warranty for any truck with this device.

As one has no choice with the V-6 engine, I would be inclined to get a V-8 that does not have this dubious feature.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
At best, you’re picking up a couple hundred pounds more in payload and 1500 - 2000 pounds of towing capacity. What are you towing that makes the Rebel a superior tow rig?

As for the eTorque system, I doubt you’ll encounter any issues in the first 100,000 miles. I’d start to question the battery behind the rear seat around the 120,001+ miles when the extended warranty expires.

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have the etorque with 37000 miles no issues. If you do a lot of city driving it will help but highway it doesn't matter. If I were to buy another Ram someday and it had etorque I would still buy it, but if it didn't have it I would not miss it.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
I have the etorque with 37000 miles no issues. If you do a lot of city driving it will help but highway it doesn't matter. If I were to buy another Ram someday and it had etorque I would still buy it, but if it didn't have it I would not miss it.
Same for me. No issues. Like the stop/start but it's not a must have for me.

danshill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also have the etorque on my 2020 Limited. I was a little concerned about it at first. I’m a little past 10k miles and so far it hasn’t been a problem.

tom martley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Hey guys,

I need some quick answers here! I'm currently in the process of potentially trading in my 20' Gladiator for a 20' Ram Rebel. It has the 5.7L ETorque with 12" UConnect and Panoramic roof. It looks BEAUTIFUL. I need it for the towing capacity.

However, I'm very hesitant of committing to it because of the MANY problems I've read about the ETorque. I know when you log onto these forums, you hear more complaints about stuff like this, so I wanted to see if anyone is happy with there ETorque system or if there are too many reliability concerns. I LOVE my Jeep Gladiator and I don't want to get into something that will break down any time soon.

So, what are your thoughts?

Thanks guys!

Adrian

tom martley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have 8000 miles on my 2019 1500 Limited 5.7 E torque with no problems, yet. I get around 16 mpg in town and 18 hwy. I live in a hilly, mountainous area. I have got better on highway, around 19 to twenty not going over 70, no wind. It is very snappy off the line, starts engine in a second, seems to work as intended. Yes, with the experience I have had so far, would buy again. Keep in mind, Ram says to use 89 octane to get best performance. I get about 1.5 miles more with 89

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
LOVE IT! Get it! Especially for towing, as it smooths out shifts too. Plus, provides more low-end torque to get that trailer moving easier.

There are no real-world problems. Just guesses by people who have no idea what they are talking about.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
It is hard to tell about long term reliability since the system is new. If you are a "trade it in every 2 years" kind of guy, it seems like a wash since any issue would be covered under warranty. If you are in the "long term keeper" camp, I would pass on eTorque until there is better data on reliability.

This type of setup is anything but new. Auto makers have been doing things like this for over 100 years. Google it.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
IMO etorque is just another thing to break thats expensive. Even if you're not going to keep the truck for the longterm it could still break on you and yes warranty could cover it but the trucks still down. I agree with the above posts, keep looking for a truck thats equipped the way you like it.

1. Owning a vehicle is not a money making venture.
2. If eTorque does fail, it won't stop the engine from working normally.