Etorque problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MightyBee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everybody,

I have a big problem with an 5.7 etorque system.
My customer had a bad bearing on the 48v alternator, the bad bearing make a lot of noise but he decided to drive the truck 6 months like this... after that, the alternator were not able to charge the 48v and so the 12v... We had changed the 2 bearings, the interior of the alternator seems to be good with no damage but ??? we had replaced the alternator but the 12v battery won't charge.
We live in Belgium, there's no Ram garage able to fix that, no real aftersale service and no technician. A new alternator is about 4000$ here with 4 month of delay... no one can test 48v alternator to say if the alternator is ok (even if a lot of brand has the same system of 48v mild hybrid but these days, they only replace part...not repair)
So I would like to know, if the 48v batteries are completely empty, is the alternator able to charge them ? because if the 48v are empty, the 12v never charge...
I really would like to test the alternator to eliminate this factor but I'm not able to do this ?? is this possible to see if the alternator charge the 48v battery with a scan tools (I have Alfa obd, Witech but only for -18 Ram) ?
Does anybody already had the same problem...

Thank you for your help

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What year etorque do you have they came out in 2019 model year, there is an 8yr warrantee on the system, that 48-volt battery has been a problem.

OP
OP
M

MightyBee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited. But in Europe as soon as the Ram brands is not officialy represented, Dealer offered only a two years warranty with no recall campaign and nothing else. It's for that reason that I try to find a solution for my customer because the only solution it's to try a new MGU for 4000€ in Belgium and a 6 month ETA... And if it's not that... the battery cost more than 10000$ here in Europe.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are a bunch of RAM dealers in Germany, did U think of maybe trying to contact them for assistance/parts? Just a thought, though I understand parts and availability on American Vehicles in Europe.

OP
OP
M

MightyBee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes they are in Belgium too but there are not officialy affiliate to Dodge/Ram, they are affiliate to a importer who work with Ram so If you not buyed your Ram from one of these importer it's like you've buyed your Ram to a mafia godfather. We are specialized in Ram parts and service in Belgium but no Dodge/Ram, no importer would like to say anything about this problem as soon as the car does not come from them, even it's a new truck.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@WildOne: Only thing I can think of to help the OP is some type of affiliation with like BENNY for MoparParts if he cannot get a "dealership" in Europe to help him.

Any thoughts? Maybe OP needs to communicate directly with Benny. But with the supply chain and shipping, OMG... I cannot even imagine trying to get a 48V battery pack or the entire Generator system for a truck to Europe?

Another reason I stay with straight VVT, but that is just my opinion.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes they are in Belgium too but there are not officialy affiliate to Dodge/Ram, they are affiliate to a importer who work with Ram so If you not buyed your Ram from one of these importer it's like you've buyed your Ram to a mafia godfather. We are specialized in Ram parts and service in Belgium but no Dodge/Ram, no importer would like to say anything about this problem as soon as the car does not come from them, even it's a new truck.
None of the RAM dealerships in Europe are affiliated with RAM/STELLANTIS? geez, what a conundrum.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Looks like you have to program the MGU (Motor Generator Unit) once you've rebuilt it. All this new stuff is a pain in the ass to find answers for. But I guess we need to learn since electric seems to be part of our future.

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like you have to program the MGU (Motor Generator Unit) once you've rebuilt it. All this new stuff is a pain in the ass to find answers for. But I guess we need to learn since electric seems to be part of our future.

i figured with that kinda technology that there would be something extra, but dang, thats kinda cool. very cool video that guy made, i'm gonna check out more of his stuff

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
i figured with that kinda technology that there would be something extra, but dang, thats kinda cool. very cool video that guy made, i'm gonna check out more of his stuff
The software he's using is witech2 and it's $1600 a year. They do offer a free trial. Almost tempted to get the free trial just to flash update ALL the modules to the most current software. The dealership doesn't even like to acknowledge TSB's let alone update them just to make sure your vehicle is current.

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The software he's using is witech2 and it's $1600 a year. They do offer a free trial. Almost tempted to get the free trial just to flash update ALL the modules to the most current software. The dealership doesn't even like to acknowledge TSB's let alone update them just to make sure your vehicle is current.
to me thats crappy, but at the same time the techs arent really getting much money from the tsb's. but it would be nice to have all it all updated.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
@WildOne: Only thing I can think of to help the OP is some type of affiliation with like BENNY for MoparParts if he cannot get a "dealership" in Europe to help him.

Any thoughts? Maybe OP needs to communicate directly with Benny. But with the supply chain and shipping, OMG... I cannot even imagine trying to get a 48V battery pack or the entire Generator system for a truck to Europe?

Another reason I stay with straight VVT, but that is just my opinion.
I wanted the 5th gen, but when I went to order they were only taking 2023’s and that’s the year E torque was mandatory on the V6 and V8, hence why I ended up ordering a 2022 classic. Could still get the normal V8

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wanted the 5th gen, but when I went to order they were only taking 2023’s and that’s the year E torque was mandatory on the V6 and V8, hence why I ended up ordering a 2022 classic. Could still get the normal V8
IMHO, good choice. I got no idea how to help the OP in Belgium, boy wat a bucket of worms that be, We have enuf problems getting stuff taken care of here, I could not even imagine in the middle of Europe, especially on something so new and really kinda just a US/Canada thing more, argh...

Nicholas Cove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wonder if the 48v battery has BMS like a lithium battery. Might be worth a shot to research if it's possible to hook up 4 12v batteries in series to hit the 48v battery with 48v. Might allow BMS to accept a charge. Research it though. 48v is more than enough to tickle you.

Lazer01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
I had a bearing go on my alternator (etorque)
I have been waiting almost 7 weeks.
They tell me no stock.
Fortunately I have been in a rental.
Not happy it’s taking so long.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a bearing go on my alternator (etorque)
I have been waiting almost 7 weeks.
They tell me no stock.
Fortunately I have been in a rental.
Not happy it’s taking so long.
I have been waiting a year for a new E Fan, so good luck