Etorque v6 vs normal v6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cnh69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi i'm in the market right now to buy a brand new ram v6(i dont want or need to v8). And i found one that i really like and have the spec i'm looking for, only thing is it a 5th gen with the etorque system like all the 5th gen. I been woried than the hybrid system would bring me more problem than if i woukd Just buy à classic with à normal 3.6. Does anyone have any Good or bad expérience with the etorque. For and cons. Thank you for your time

mb33458

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 etorque
I dont have a lot to share, but I have 7800 miles on mine with no issues. I have a 2021 1500 CC Bighorn. I dont work it too hard towing under 5500 lbs, carry sod 1/2 pallet at a time, mulch and normal household hauling. I am not bothered by the stop start, it generally works very smoothly. Not much more to add.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Hi i'm in the market right now to buy a brand new ram v6(i dont want or need to v8). And i found one that i really like and have the spec i'm looking for, only thing is it a 5th gen with the etorque system like all the 5th gen. I been woried than the hybrid system would bring me more problem than if i woukd Just buy à classic with à normal 3.6. Does anyone have any Good or bad expérience with the etorque. For and cons. Thank you for your time
I traded my 7mos old 22 rebel (custom order) back in after 2x of the eTorque charge system causing the truck to stall and go into park with ebrake while making left turns across on coming traffic at 5k and 15k miles and no solutions from dealer/Stellantis. Picked up one of the last 22 limited v8's you could find without it.

Doesn't seem to be an issue for everyone, but there are plenty of people with 21-22 eTorque trucks stalling.

I had a 13ram1500 V6 4x4 CC (classic w8spd) with 68k miles about 3 trucks ago and thought it was a great truck. Classic 1500 V6 8spd like a Warlock while be a great truck IMO.

Google Ram eTorque stalling issues

** Also had a 19ram1500 Laramie V8 eTorque that had zero issues, which is why I ordered the 22 rebel with it, exciting the same results.

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I dont have a lot to share, but I have 7800 miles on mine with no issues. I have a 2021 1500 CC Bighorn. I dont work it too hard towing under 5500 lbs, carry sod 1/2 pallet at a time, mulch and normal household hauling. I am not bothered by the stop start, it generally works very smoothly. Not much more to add.

Wife's is a 23, basically the same truck. Again, not worked very hard (moving boats around in the yard is the most work it really sees, maybe pulling our flatbed with 3 quads and a dirt bike on it, otherwise it's a grocery getter).

She DOES turn the stop-start off every time she starts the truck, so the gas engine never shuts off and the batteries never have to 'restart' it.

What I'm noticing is that it seems to be the higher trim levels that are having issues...maybe the electrical system doesn't have enough capability to maintain all the extras? Can't charge the hybrid system AND power the truck?

I am by no means a RAM engineer, but I AM an engineer by trade - generally speaking if things are turning off without warning and they're electrically controlled, chances are there's a problem with power, usually not enough of it.

Last edited:

dsherman26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
26,000 miles so far, no problems at all with the eTorque. The ones who can't stand the start/stop will tell you it's really annoying; it was new to me and I only notice it when the climate control starts to drop off while waiting for a traffic light, but it usually kicks in at that time to keep the climate control going (says so in the status). I've towed my travel trailer several times with no trouble, but in tow/haul mode it doesn't do the start/stop. Not looking forward to the day when the 48 volt battery needs a replacement, those are around $2000 from what I gather, but hopefully there will be less expensive ones when the time comes. The way the motor/generator is mounted it looks like it makes a serpentine belt replacement much more difficult, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
26,000 miles so far, no problems at all with the eTorque. The ones who can't stand the start/stop will tell you it's really annoying; it was new to me and I only notice it when the climate control starts to drop off while waiting for a traffic light, but it usually kicks in at that time to keep the climate control going (says so in the status). I've towed my travel trailer several times with no trouble, but in tow/haul mode it doesn't do the start/stop. Not looking forward to the day when the 48 volt battery needs a replacement, those are around $2000 from what I gather, but hopefully there will be less expensive ones when the time comes. The way the motor/generator is mounted it looks like it makes a serpentine belt replacement much more difficult, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
I too was concerned about that, but it looks like the serpentine belt should come right off - it's not 'captured' by the motor/generator from what I can tell.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
76,000 trouble free miles so far. THE ONLY THING OUT OF NORM, is something I changed as preventative. The Etorque charges the engine battery oddly. The Motor Generator Unit charges the hybrid lithium battery BEHIND the back seat and that charges the lead acid OLD SCHOOL engine battery under the hood.

I've seen people mention odd electrical problems and a new engine battery fixes it. My truck was running fine but I did notice this summer, the music would pause for 1/10th of a second with engine stop / start and it never did that before. The original 4 year old lead acid battery was starting the truck perfectly fine but failed under a load test, so I decided to replace it with a much better AGM engine battery for $178 and the battery tray can take the larger H8 battery with a couple hundred more cold cranking amps if you pop out a small plastic bumper in the tray.

New battery fixed the music glitch. It also has so much juice, without the a/c running, the engine stop / start will keep the engine off forever at stop lights. It also seems to run and shift better. This makes me think a lot of issues people talk about are just the cheap old school lead acid batteries just slowly dying.

If there's one suggestion I can make... I love the V6 and it's my second one. This one with the 3.55 gears drives, pulls and hauls much much better than the 4th Gen I had with 3.21 gears and theres no difference in fuel economy. Just get the 3.55 or 3.92 gears.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
76,000 trouble free miles so far. THE ONLY THING OUT OF NORM, is something I changed as preventative. The Etorque charges the engine battery oddly. The Motor Generator Unit charges the hybrid lithium battery BEHIND the back seat and that charges the lead acid OLD SCHOOL engine battery under the hood.

I've seen people mention odd electrical problems and a new engine battery fixes it. My truck was running fine but I did notice this summer, the music would pause for 1/10th of a second with engine stop / start and it never did that before. The original 4 year old lead acid battery was starting the truck perfectly fine but failed under a load test, so I decided to replace it with a much better AGM engine battery for $178 and the battery tray can take the larger H8 battery with a couple hundred more cold cranking amps if you pop out a small plastic bumper in the tray.

New battery fixed the music glitch. It also has so much juice, without the a/c running, the engine stop / start will keep the engine off forever at stop lights. It also seems to run and shift better. This makes me think a lot of issues people talk about are just the cheap old school lead acid batteries just slowly dying.

If there's one suggestion I can make... I love the V6 and it's my second one. This one with the 3.55 gears drives, pulls and hauls much much better than the 4th Gen I had with 3.21 gears and theres no difference in fuel economy. Just get the 3.55 or 3.92 gears.

I know I'm replying to an older thread, but...

Good to know that a bigger battery seems to take care of a lot of issues - I usually replace batteries with higher CCA batteries anyway so when hers starts to have issues I'll get her a bigger one.

I agree with the 3.55 gears though - If she had 3.21s I think it would struggle a bit with our flatbed. She didn't have any issues hauling it last summer, I think she was just nervous because she didn't have the brake controller installed yet (flatbed has brakes, I'd rather they were active, we were waiting on it to come in and it got delayed, so we made the trip without it). Everything went fine, no emergency stops, she didn't get GREAT mileage but it was still a respectable 12 or so.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If it were only about getting a truck with the Pentastar w/etorque or without etorque I'd say avoid getting the etorque version and get the 1500 Classic. But you're basically talking about a 4th gen versus a 5th gen 1500. And there are lots of differences between the two. I would suggest driving both before making that decision. I've owned several 4th gens and several 5th gens. In my opinion the 5th gens are much more refined. So if the purpose for the truck is to use it as a daily driver I'd rather drive a 5th gen. If it's going to be more of a tow/haul or work vehicle I'd seriously consider the 1500 classic. Another thing to consider is the trim levels for the Classic are at the lower side (Tradesman or Warlock). And the price difference isn't what it used to be, and optioning a Warlock up can make it as expensive as a 5th gen Laramie.