Evaporative System Fresh Air Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just brought my Warlock in for her first oil change, so proud (and no I didn't take pictures). Have a question, stemming from the instructions in the user manual. Anyone know what the Evaporative System Fresh Air Filter is, and where it is located? It says to check it, and replace as necessary. From "fresh air filter" I would have thought a cabin filter, but with the other part, it makes me think it is the system used to prevent gas and other fumes from escaping the vehicle and potentially causing pollution. There is less than 5k miles on the clock, so there is no need to replace it yet, but finding out before I need to change it down the road would be a good idea.

Thanks in advance for guidance on tracking down this item.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
That’s not the filter they are talking about.

The evap fresh air filter is in the driver rear wheel well, it’s just behind the fuel filler door.

Attachments

• A2DD6859-7FA2-438E-82B9-D567CD075910.png
    A2DD6859-7FA2-438E-82B9-D567CD075910.png
    322.2 KB · Views: 67

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Evaporative System Fresh Air Filter

The Evaporative System Integrity Module, also known as an Evaporative System Integrity Monitor or ESIM, is a key component of the EVAP System on many late model Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, RAM Trucks, and Fiat vehicles. Unlike previous Leak Detection System, the ESIM does not contain a solenoid. Instead, the ESIM uses two weights, a diaphragm, and a switch to detect pressure differences across a variety of conditions.

esim_group.jpg

At the rear of your gas tank, there is a charcoal cannister, usually close by the cannister is the ESIM

As long as you don't make a habit of over filling your fuel tank, Topping Off
Gas should never reach the inside of the charcoal canister to break down the charcoal, which would send a signal to the ESIM, which in turn sends a signal up to the Purge Valve that is located close to the Throttle Body

That is when your EVIC lights up like Xmas tree