Everything You Want to Know about Negotiating a Lease

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pikeville904

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ignition Orange Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info, brings some new light to the lease prospect, and will come in handy when my wife's vehicle comes off lease next spring.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
My 21 yr old son leased a 19 Challenger R/T w/6spd manual last month (no extras beyond base features of an RT) and the dealer was able to get another $3k off by financing through Allied vs Chrysler Capital. $3k down, $230/mo for 36 with 10k miles/yr. Just another thing to consider.
Purchased price was in the $480/mo range with same down payment.

I didn't want him to have a new car commitment that young but he walked to work a few miles away for months until he could buy the $1600 beater he had and finally got to spot where he could make regular payments on something reliable. They gotta have goals.

M² Mods.

My 21 year old son, a recent college grad, got a good paying job in Arizona in February. He would be driving to Oregon and working there June through September, then going back to Arizona. He needed a car. He had some money saved up, but only enough to buy a $5,000 to $6,000 car. That doesn't buy much--maybe an 8 to 10 year old small or mid-sized sedan with 150,000-175,000 miles on it. I couldn't stand the thought of him driving to Arizona in a 10 year old car of dubious reliability, never mind going to Oregon and back to Arizona. So the leasing option jumped front and center. He has less than $1,500 in monthly living expenses, so a $280 lease payment is not bad at all. The peace of mind it gives me as a parent to know he's in a new, safe vehicle with no repair expense worries is incalculable.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
The peace of mind it gives me as a parent to know he's in a new, safe vehicle with no repair expense worries is incalculable.

^^^^ This exactly. I have had to drive 4+ hours away ... Twice ... when 2 different $3k cars broke down on my son while at college. (Broken timing chain, blown head gasket)

Same reason we leased a $130/mos Dart for the wife while I was away for work in Indiana for 11mos.

M² Mods.

dbr7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
This is phenomenal! I did a lot of this when I got my Warlock.

fmichelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
great and thorough writeup, I just posted "9Mo Lease Up" that this answers, I'm not looking for buy out, only for lower monthly payments by going from a 8-cyl to a 6-cyl, it's a 2021 bighorn hemi quad that will have about 23K mileage and I think the amount remaining on vehicle is $26,000