EVIC Says “Service Electronic Throttle Soon...”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rangemaster728

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I bought a 2020 ram 1500 Classic Tradesman Quad Cab 4WD w/the gas V6 Pentastar engine/8-spd & 3.21 rear end about seven weeks ago.

Finally got around to putting some miles on it in the last three days; 1500 mile round-trip from NW Oregon to Reno, Nevada.

Leaving Reno heading west on I-80 towards Sacramento I suddenly found myself behind (of all things) a CHP cruiser weaving back-and-forth to slow the traffic down in all three westbound lanes.

This “rolling roadblock “continued for quite some time; it appears there was some slide clearing being done by the highway department and they were blasting so rather than stop all the traffic they did a 12 mile an hour rolling roadblock.

The interesting part was three times going up the steep incline and climbing in altitude to almost 7500 feet I got the notice on my EVIC “service electronic throttle soon”.

I also could have sworn I also felt a momentary power reduction each time it happened.

Well the roadblock finally finished and we continued on to Sacramento without incident.

The next day, heading north back towards Oregon on I-5 in the Siskiyous I experienced the same thing one time, again at high altitude.

Spent the night in that area and decided to try a little experiment. I continued from the Siskiyous on through southern Oregon which has quite a few hills and a lot of elevation changes but put the transmission in “tow/haul”.

Did not experience the problem in that setting, and have not since.

Just curious, has anyone experienced this message on your display at high altitudes? By the way, I did check the fault logs with my OBD reader and no error codes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
Any mods such as pedal commander?
Why do you ask about the pedal commander, that was my first thought and I have had this several times with my truck and I do have the commander. Is there tendency for this with the commander.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rangemaster728

rangemaster728

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
No CEL indication or other mods that would affect the engine or transmission like a Pedal Commander...all my mods so far deal with adding mics, compass, dual rearview cam display, swapping the EVIC to a 7”, tail lights to LED, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Why do you ask about the pedal commander, that was my first thought and I have had this several times with my truck and I do have the commander. Is there tendency for this with the commander.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Because your problem is throttle position. Basically the couple times the truck freaked I'm speculating that the truck saw more than 100% wide open throttle for a millisecond causing the truck to warn you. Elevation may have only played a part as in you were trying to haul ass in the moment and we have the end result.

OP
OP
rangemaster728

rangemaster728

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Because your problem is throttle position. Basically the couple times the truck freaked I'm speculating that the truck saw more than 100% wide open throttle for a millisecond causing the truck to warn you. Elevation may have only played a part as in you were trying to haul ass in the moment and we have the end result.

I thought about that...I wonder if ODBLink or AlfaOBD will allow me to look at throttle position in real time...when this happened during the slow crawl I was only going between 12 and 15 mph, no big throttle movements.

Later in the mountains I was going downhill in cruise control, not using throttle manually...and braking - which had already canceled cruise.

Last edited:

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I thought about that...I wonder if ODBLink or AlfaOBD will allow me to look at throttle position in real time...when this happened during the slow crawl I was only going between 12 and 15 mph, no big throttle movements.

Later in the mountains I was going downhill in cruise control, not using throttle manually...and braking - which had already canceled cruise.

OBDlink will allow you to see TPS voltage in as close to real time as possible.

The Pedal Commander manipulates your voltage to throttle position. If the truck sees a value outside of the given range, rpms etc it sends the message.

OP
OP
rangemaster728

rangemaster728

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
SOLVED...

Same symptoms happened today at nearly sea level while on a 45-minute drive.

There was a long string of traffic in front of me on the state highway and the person in front of me (once traffic cleared up) decided to vary their speed erratically between 42 and 53 miles an hour. The occupants of the car were obviously having an animated conversation and checking their cell phones.

I was trying to keep from hitting them and figuring out what they were doing with their erratic braking when I got the message on the EVIC “service electronic throttle” and the truck went into limp mode, not allowing me to go above 35 miles an hour for 10 or 15 seconds before normal operation resumed.

Once I return from my trip, I connected AlfaOBD and drilled down into the ECU...Sure enough it had code P2299 which indicates the brake and accelerator positions are incompatible.

In reading the logs I was indeed applying the brake and gas for more than the allowable window and the failsafe in the ECU took over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Ya, if you drive with 2 feet it can happen since you may be inadvertently pressing both pedals at the same time.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ya, if you drive with 2 feet it can happen since you may be inadvertently pressing both pedals at the same time.

Damn i do some smoky assed brake stands/burn-outs at the track,using both feet,lol

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Damn i do some smoky assed brake stands/burn-outs at the track,using both feet,lol

Sounds like you need a line lock Rick lol. Buddy put one in his truck for a gender reveal. Worked pretty good, got a nice 6th gear burnout going.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Sounds like you need a line lock Rick lol. Buddy put one in his truck for a gender reveal. Worked pretty good, got a nice 6th gear burnout going.

LOL now that's breaking a set of tires in right Dan.Is that the other whipple blown truck in your town. Actually i've never had any issues doing a burn-out with mine,got the brake pedal modulation figured out pretty good,lol.The wifes 1320 with the factory line lock does some pretty decent burn-outs to,i'm kind of glad she hasn't figured it out all that well yet though,lol

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Ya, that’s my buddies truck with the same setup. Tires were about 60% when he started. Cords were showing after. He said the speedo was showing about 160.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ya, that’s my buddies truck with the same setup. Tires were about 60% when he started. Cords were showing after. He said the speedo was showing about 160.

I think i'll believe him,that's one hell'va show he put on,lol.