Excessive brake dust is apparently "normal"???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

603photog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I took my new-to-me 2012 1500 Big Horn into the dealer today for an oil change. While there, I also asked them to have a look at the front brakes because, after only two months of ownership of this "Certified Used" truck, my beautiful 20" chrome wheels have to be washed every two days due to excessive brake dust buildup. Not exaggerating, here - it's bad. Gets all over the tires and a thick layer on the rims.

After about an hour, they came back and told me that the brakes check out mechanically and that, because the pads on them are semi-metallic, the brake dust is normal. I pushed back and asked if they were telling me that every other Ram truck on the road had the same issue and if they were saying their official stance is that this is normal. They said no but that somehow, in my case, they were comfortable saying it was normal and they wouldn't be able to help me out. But they'd be happy to sell me new brakes and rotors at their cost if I wanted to change everything out.

So here are my questions: How much brake dust do y'all actually truthfully deal with on a weekly basis? And, if you're not getting any at all, what kind of pads and rotors - specifically - are y'all using?

Thanks!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My SRT8 had terrible brake dust issues until I changed out the pads for some PowerStop units. Then the problem was solved.

In your case it probably is normal but a pad change should take care of it. Of course, don't rely on the dealer to tell you which pads or to do it for free.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
EBC Greenstuff pads and Sport rotors for mine, almost zero brake dust with the 7000 series up front and slightly better braking over stock pads/rotors.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My F150-s were the same way

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the stock set-up on my 2014... hardly any brake dust on it. And, I've only washed my truck a handful of times this year.

I'm guessing you have a different pad, compared to OEM. Or, you just have a set of pads that are one of the random that make a lot of dust.

Last edited:

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get some ceramic pads and you'll have very little dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: U&A

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
2015 R/T and I get just about nothing in terms of brake dust, mind you I am a mini hyper miler or whatever they are called. I can say none of my previous 20+ vehicles have had this issue. To finish I have always had stock pads/rotors.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Semi-metallics do dust especially if you're hard on the pedal like i am.
I went from whatever the shop put on to semi-metallics and I have seen a marked increase in dust.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
"Certified Used" just means they supposedly checked it for serviceability and condition. Does not mean the checked pads to see if they are OEM. With a 2012, more than likely someone has already replace them with some house brand cheapies from AutoZone or such.

Bit unrealistic to expect them to address brake dust issue when it a subjective thing.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To the dealership where I got my truck......everything is normal.

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Excessive brake dust is normal....if you do most of your driving in stop and go traffic. The brakes get hotter than they would during highway use, and subsequently shed quite a bit of dust. As aforementioned in prior posts, change to a better quality pad, (and rotor) of you choose to...and the problem will disappear. Yes i speak from experience :)

sent from galaxy S7 edge using tapatalk

OP
OP
603photog

603photog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Excessive brake dust is normal....if you do most of your driving in stop and go traffic. The brakes get hotter than they would during highway use, and subsequently shed quite a bit of dust. As aforementioned in prior posts, change to a better quality pad, (and rotor) of you choose to...and the problem will disappear. Yes i speak from experience :)

sent from galaxy S7 edge using tapatalk

Most of my miles are highway. I live in rural New Hampshire and commute everywhere. I'll look into better options for the front brakes, so thanks to those who mentioned specific brands as requested.

After 20+ years of owning and wrenching on every type of vehicle under the sun, I absolutely disagree that excessive brake dust is either normal or, as someone stated, subjective. I've never had a vehicle this bad that wasn't a clunker with high miles and worn pads. Never. When you purchase an expensive vehicle from a dealer, you expect proper performance from the installed components. Squealing, massively dusting brake pads are not a properly performing component so soon after purchase. Private sale vehicle, sure, fine. Low mile vehicle from the dealer that you just purchased? No.

Thanks again for the replies!

donttreadonme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Help!!! anyone know where i can get front brake dust shields for my 2012 ram 1500 sport i can not find them anywhere....i need them to put this light kit on i bought....

CDNUSER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took my new-to-me 2012 1500 Big Horn into the dealer today for an oil change. While there, I also asked them to have a look at the front brakes because, after only two months of ownership of this "Certified Used" truck, my beautiful 20" chrome wheels have to be washed every two days due to excessive brake dust buildup. Not exaggerating, here - it's bad. Gets all over the tires and a thick layer on the rims.

After about an hour, they came back and told me that the brakes check out mechanically and that, because the pads on them are semi-metallic, the brake dust is normal. I pushed back and asked if they were telling me that every other Ram truck on the road had the same issue and if they were saying their official stance is that this is normal. They said no but that somehow, in my case, they were comfortable saying it was normal and they wouldn't be able to help me out. But they'd be happy to sell me new brakes and rotors at their cost if I wanted to change everything out.

So here are my questions: How much brake dust do y'all actually truthfully deal with on a weekly basis? And, if you're not getting any at all, what kind of pads and rotors - specifically - are y'all using?

Thanks!

I have the same issue on my Ram, upgrading to higher quality pads will fix that issue. The dealer that I bought my truck from did the brake job with the cheapest pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My front right wheel makes more dust than the front left. Dealer said its normal. Temp of that hub ( using infrared thermometer ) is approx 10-15F higher than the other wheel.

When I raise the front of the ground, the same wheel doesnt spin as freely as the other. Dealer says its normal.

I guess after my warranty runs out they will note that I need a new caliper LOL in one of their inspection sheets.

https://vimeo.com/177791630

other front wheel.

https://vimeo.com/177791604

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ive had pads that dusted more than others. after getting a GOLD set of pads from the parts shop, that were absolutely Dreadfully dusty, I switched to the best I can buy ceramic pad. no dust after that. I have done all of the brake jobs on my vehicles since I was 16. in the 24 years I have absolutely seen pads that dusted bad. I took a set off and retuned them to autozone just because of this.

as for a Certified vehicle, I doubt they pulled any pads to see the brand or material. they inspected them to ensure they had plenty of pad left and that rotors were in good shape.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My Challenger of the SRT variant did not shed much dust, just my experience.

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wash my wheels once a month. The brake dust showed up more obviously when I had the Big Horn chrome-clad wheels. I switched to Sport wheels and it isn't as noticeable as quickly. I guess because the Sport wheels aren't mirrors, lol.