Excessive fuel consumption while towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My ‘21 2500 Hemi w/4.10’s pulling my 5W got 9-ish overall on a cross country trip this summer. Long climbs on I90 with head or cross winds reduced it to 7. I pull about 10-10.5k lbs loaded and rarely exceed 65mph.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
So seems like across the board those quoting MPG towing a 5th wheel are about 2 MPG better than towing a bumper pull? As noted by the last posted he says 9 MPG towing a 10,000lb 5th wheel. My son has towed his 8100lb TT all over the country (9000 miles) and never got better than about 8.5. I tow my 9000lb boat and get about 8.5. I towed my step-sons 9300lb bumper pull TT and got 8 MPG. Not just the posted above but I have read numerous responses saying they get 10 MPG towing their 5th wheel that is heavier than anything I have towed and can't get near their MPG and that is with 2 different 2500 6.4's?

EDIT: these numbers are all hand calculated

Last edited:

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
I just fill the tank. As long as there is not a significant drop consistently, mpg is just a minor thing, in the grand scheme. Lie o meter, hand calc, I don’t bother. Lie o meter is fine to me.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just fill the tank. As long as there is not a significant drop consistently, mpg is just a minor thing, in the grand scheme. Lie o meter, hand calc, I don’t bother. Lie o meter is fine to me.
mine are all hand calculated. just wondering if you get better MPG towing a 5th wheel as opposed to a TT? no idea how but seems consistent that the 5th wheel posters show better numbers than bumper pulls do

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
How many more MPGs did your cummins powered trucks get?

Considering other costs associated with owning a diesel, such as higher cost per gallon for fuel, are you really loosing money with the new 6.4L hemi?
Assume you mean Cummins. I never have been able to make the $$$ worth the Cummins for my uses.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Gas vs diesel has been debated in terms of dollars and cents ad nauseum so I won’t go there. My experience has been the quality of the tow was better in the diesel. Acceleration both on ramp and passing was quicker and the engine / transmission seemed to be taking it in stride. Listening to a gasser scream all day just got on my nerves. Accelerating felt like I was pushing it to its limits. Just a very annoying experience for me. I like my spark plugless ride for towing.

The diesel is like the big brawny guy in the bar who just chills because he knows he has nothing to prove. The gasser is like the little guy with the Napoleon complex running around like a 5 year old on too much sugar trying to prove himself.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Gas vs diesel has been debated in terms of dollars and cents ad nauseum so I won’t go there. My experience has been the quality of the tow was better in the diesel. Acceleration both on ramp and passing was quicker and the engine / transmission seemed to be taking it in stride. Listening to a gasser scream all day just got on my nerves. Accelerating felt like I was pushing it to its limits. Just a very annoying experience for me. I like my spark plugless ride for towing.

The diesel is like the big brawny guy in the bar who just chills because he knows he has nothing to prove. The gasser is like the little guy with the Napoleon complex running around like a 5 year old on too much sugar trying to prove himself.
The diesel is like the big brawny guy in the bar who just chills because he knows he has nothing to prove.

Diesel owner = Small *****?

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
The diesel is like the big brawny guy in the bar who just chills because he knows he has nothing to prove.

My checkbook, my choice. Towing is much more enjoyable with a diesel and exhaust brake. Passing, merging, climbing passes is much better as well.......and quieter. I’ll throw you a tow line as I pass you at 10,000 feet. Keep turning up the radio to drown out your screaming hemi.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel

Gasser owner = Sit to urinate?

Bearcatrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Since upgrading from a 2017 3/4 with a six speed to a 21 1 ton with an 8 speed, my rpm’s have been allot lower pulling my 35 foot 10,000 lb 5th wheel. Been up a incline that would drop my 2017 to 4th gear and just under 4500 rpm’s to dropping my 8 speed to 6th gear and a little over 3000 rpm’s on same hill. Getting around 9 miles per gallon pulling. Seems diesels are getting around same miles per gallon pulling similar weight trailers. I have no regrets going gas instead of diesel.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I towed my 8900lb boat up a 6% hill that is about 3/4 mile long from almost a dead stop at the bottom. Only went about 1/2 throttle to maintain the 45 MPH speed limit and only turned about 3000-3500 RPM's. I was actually surprised it was that easy with the 6.4. Actually had to slow a little for a tight turn 1/2 way up and had no trouble getting back to 45. May have been different if it was 12,000lbs but for 9000 it was easy

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
My checkbook, my choice. Towing is much more enjoyable with a diesel and exhaust brake. Passing, merging, climbing passes is much better as well.......and quieter. I’ll throw you a tow line as I pass you at 10,000 feet. Keep turning up the radio to drown out your screaming hemi.
My 6.4 with 4.10's tow the Colorado passes very well. Not saying as well as the $10,000 diesel but very well all the same. 50 gallon factory tank gives me about 500 mile range while moving about 16000 gross. 800 mile range empty.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
My 6.4 with 4.10's tow the Colorado passes very well. Not saying as well as the $10,000 diesel but very well all the same. 50 gallon factory tank gives me about 500 mile range while moving about 16000 gross. 800 mile range empty.
Each has its pros and cons. As long as you’re ok with your choice, that’s what matters. I like that blue, by the way.

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So seems like across the board those quoting MPG towing a 5th wheel are about 2 MPG better than towing a bumper pull? As noted by the last posted he says 9 MPG towing a 10,000lb 5th wheel. My son has towed his 8100lb TT all over the country (9000 miles) and never got better than about 8.5. I tow my 9000lb boat and get about 8.5. I towed my step-sons 9300lb bumper pull TT and got 8 MPG. Not just the posted above but I have read numerous responses saying they get 10 MPG towing their 5th wheel that is heavier than anything I have towed and can't get near their MPG and that is with 2 different 2500 6.4's?
My feeling is that a 5W is a bit more stable to pull and that may affect mileage. I found there was a huge difference between towing at 62-65 mph rather than 70. On flat terrain I could drop to 2000 rpm at the lower speeds but higher speed was generally 2200-2500 rpm.
EDIT: these numbers are all hand calculated

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 1400 miles on the truck. Everything is stock.
There is your "problem" my 6.4 had garb MPG until about 8k miles, then i started seeing major improvements. I see 17 MPG hwy 75 mph on 35's. When towing, ill max out around 13-14k# and ill get between 8-10 mpg, hills n all. California has a lot of hills and mountains.

All on 87 octane

Billacuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
There is your "problem" my 6.4 had garb MPG until about 8k miles, then i started seeing major improvements. I see 17 MPG hwy 75 mph on 35's. When towing, ill max out around 13-14k# and ill get between 8-10 mpg, hills n all. California has a lot of hills and mountains.

All on 87 octane
Did you recalibrate your speedometer for the 35s?

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With 35's if you have 4.10's it will be more like 3.90's (give or take). Also, your miles will be off, which will throw your mileage off. Not sure if tire size throws off the EVIC though but will throw off your hand calculated unless you re-calibrate

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

It's important to remember that this is just your perspective based on an otherwise unimportant RPM number/sound. My gasser may sit at 2300 rpms for hours and rev to 4000 a few times climbing some hills; whereas your diesel might sit at 1800 or whatever and rev up to 2500 rpms on a hill; but both engines are reaching 85% "max rpm"; the diesel is working just as hard near the top of its rpm range, but since that range is so small/low you think it's working more effortleslly because the "absolute rpm" is lower. Once I clued into that the gas revving didn't bother me at all, it has a much higher peak RPM so naturally it will swing up and through it's much larger range more than a diesel will.

In otherwords; you only "feel" the diesel is working more effortlessly, but it's still creeping up to its peak RPMs.