exhaust bolt question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
looks like i'll be putting the kooks shorties on next weekend.

my truck has 37k miles, no exhaust gasket leaks (that i know of or can tell).

has anyone had any issue with the bolt/studs breaking while removing the manifolds? if so, how difficult was it to remove the broken bolt?

my dad has a little welder so we can superglue a nut onto the bolt and weld it to remove it if it breaks, but he was wondering if anyone has had any issues before we dive into this.

thanks

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
looks like i'll be putting the kooks shorties on next weekend.

my truck has 37k miles, no exhaust gasket leaks (that i know of or can tell).

has anyone had any issue with the bolt/studs breaking while removing the manifolds? if so, how difficult was it to remove the broken bolt?

my dad has a little welder so we can superglue a nut onto the bolt and weld it to remove it if it breaks, but he was wondering if anyone has had any issues before we dive into this.

thanks
I have had issues over the years but nothing I cannot handle. There are two techs in the shops that use the method you are talking about with a welder and it works just fine for them. I have used the weld-a-nut method plenty of times but I have perfected my bolt extraction method so that it works every time. I have drilled every single broken HEMI exhaust bolt for the last 5 years and I have never had one I could not extract. I drill each one with an angle drill and I use several different special broken bolt extractors depending on the situation. I have a drawer in my bolt bin of extracted bolts.

OP
OP
cityredneck

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had issues over the years but nothing I cannot handle. There are two techs in the shops that use the method you are talking about with a welder and it works just fine for them. I have used the weld-a-nut method plenty of times but I have perfected my bolt extraction method so that it works every time. I have drilled every single broken HEMI exhaust bolt for the last 5 years and I have never had one I could not extract. I drill each one with an angle drill and I use several different special broken bolt extractors depending on the situation. I have a drawer in my bolt bin of extracted bolts.
And that with the motor staying in the truck right?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
cityredneck

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since your going to be replacing the manifolds with Headers, it would be wise to replace all of the bolts and nuts as well. Why take chances down the road.
Yes, ive got new bolts we will be using (arp), mainly just worried about having any possible issues removing the oem bolts

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
And that with the motor staying in the truck right?

Yes, you are correct. I do not remove the cylinder heads or pull the engine. I can do everything I need to extract a broken bolt with the motor still in between the frame rails.