Exhaust bolts on 2017s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhows31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Were the 2017 models still experiencing this problem? I know my 2012 had the issue and it was fixed free of charge. I haven’t really been keeping up with the truck stuff anymore so if anybody knows any info I’d love to hear it. Also my ‘17 is starting to do the bad ticking right at startup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jho93

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
Idk about specific years but as far as I'm aware they havent done anything to fix that issue. as far as the lifters goes, you can definately put some seafoam in the oil and some Lucas oil stabilizer if you are low on oil as well but the seafoam would be priority. its tapping from a stuck lifter, once the lifter is stuck it starts to damage the camshaft. if the seafoam frees up the lifter you might not have to replace the cam and lifters if there isnt noticable damage to them. what's your mileage. it is an issue that should be covered by powertrain warranty

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dhows31

dhows31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just passed 63000 I believe. Just over the warranty. I don’t believe it’s anything that serious. It just sounds like what my other truck did when the bolts broke. I was just curious if they ever did fix it. I’ll take it to the shop when I get my oil change and see what they say.

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just had them done under warranty on my 16 with 30,000 miles. Now that you’re out of warranty it might be time for headers and fix the problem for good plus a little added kick!

Triumphx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m dropping my 17’ off to the dealer tomorrow to have mine fixed. Going to put headers on so i don’t have to deal with this **** once out of warranty.

Ram904

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m dropping my 17’ off to the dealer tomorrow to have mine fixed. Going to put headers on so i don’t have to deal with this **** once out of warranty.

How many miles do you have on the 17? I have a 17 with 40k miles. I haven’t noticed any issues yet.

Cshaffer126

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Idk if this helps but I have an 18 that has at least one broken bolt at 10k miles

Sled Freak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Buddy had his exhaust bolts fixed twice on his 17 in a short period of time. (Not sure if it was the same one or 2 different ones). Also had battery crap out and needed front end parts with only 70000kms on truck (no warranty of course)

He now has a Denali...

My 16 has been flawless so far (knock on wood)

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Triumphx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many miles do you have on the 17? I have a 17 with 40k miles. I haven’t noticed any issues yet.
52k miles, took it in for manifold bolts and passenger valve cover leak

Ram904

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I listened to a few videos. It sounds like my truck might have a few broken bolts. I really noticed it this morning leaving work at cold startup. Oh well, when ever something breaks that gives me an opportunity to upgrade.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buddy had his exhaust bolts fixed twice on his 17 in a short period of time. (Not sure if it was the same one or 2 different ones). Also had battery crap out and needed front end parts with only 70000kms on truck (no warranty of course)

He now has a Denali...

My 16 has been flawless so far (knock on wood)

Does he have the new body style Denali? If so I bet it cost twice as much as a RAM. GM doesn't make reasonably priced trucks anymore and neither does Ford.

Sled Freak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does he have the new body style Denali? If so I bet it cost twice as much as a RAM. GM doesn't make reasonably priced trucks anymore and neither does Ford.
Its a 19 so ya new body. The 6.2 goes like stink but that's where it ends for me. I wasn't impressed for a 80k vehicle. A new limited is way nicer truck.

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Which ones are more prone to breaking. I'm going to be checking mine this afternoon. I got a set of LT headers that I want to install. However I don't want to fight with a broken bolt/bolts during the install since this is my daily driver.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 17 has had both sides fixed at dealer. 1st on drivers side at 18k and about 1k miles ago(52k) passenger side. Really a stupid problem!!

Last edited:

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve had broken manifold bolts fixed once on my 2014 and I’ve got some more now that need to be fixed.

GhostGregg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My truck went into the shop for broken driver side bolts and JBA header installation two days ago. Turns out I had 3 broken bolts that broke well below flush with the block so they had to drill and tap the holes to get the new bolts in. They are having a hell of a time with the drivers side installation but now that its done the passenger side should be easier because there were no broken bolts on that said. I will know more today about how the install ends up.

This wont happen again with the JBA Headers and the Stage 8 Locking Bolts!

Ram904

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck went into the shop for broken driver side bolts and JBA header installation two days ago. Turns out I had 3 broken bolts that broke well below flush with the block so they had to drill and tap the holes to get the new bolts in. They are having a hell of a time with the drivers side installation but now that its done the passenger side should be easier because there were no broken bolts on that said. I will know more today about how the install ends up.

This wont happen again with the JBA Headers and the Stage 8 Locking Bolts!

i’ve heard that using a welder makes it essential to get the bolts out.

GhostGregg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I got my truck back last night! 4 broken drivers side bolts. All drill and tap replacements. JBA Shorty Headers installed. The sound is a little deeper out of the exhaust and the low end power seems to have picked up a little.

Overall I am happy to be done with the broken bolts and am glad the engine can breathe easier along with the CAI. Nice bolt on upgrade. The shop was very very fair with me and charged me for only what what originally quoted to me NOT the 12 hours of labor they actually put into it.

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Must be using some cheap a** bolts... :banghead::Boo:

OP
OP
dhows31

dhows31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m worried they will try to charge me a ton if I were to bring it in.