Exhaust Ground Strap Rusted

RhumHam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I actually just fixed it up. I fabricobbled the new one by cutting the old clasps from the braids. I then used a dremel with a cutting wheel to cut the solder and bend the clamps put. I heated it to remove the solder and remain copper braids. I then stripped two 7 inch lengths of copper speaker wire. I placed the ends of those wires in the clamps and clamped them down. Good enough for government work.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you have that much corrosion anywhere on your Ram
You better keep an eye on your Fuel Tank Straps

Ram put out a recall on some years straps

RhumHam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have that much corrosion anywhere on your Ram
You better keep an eye on your Fuel Tank Straps

Ram put out a recall on some years straps
Thanks for the heads up. I spent quite a bit of time under it the past few weeks. I visually and physically inspected most everything I could get my hands on.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
More than likely a "rf bond strap"
Dispells static but mostly to make rf travel equally through the un mated part of the truck..
Same idea helps static for high end audio and cb tx/rec..

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A lot of manufacturers provide some sort of exhaust system grounding, the primary reason is to ensure proper O2 sensor current return. I've seen radio static produced from defective ground straps on the exhaust. I'm guessing there are other reasons as well. On third generation Rams there was a TSB issued to address broken or missing ground straps on the transmission to address erratic shifting issues.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 058168 miles.