Exhaust Ground Strap Rusted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RhumHam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello,

Quick question. I was putting the factory exhaust back on for a long road trip and I noticed that the exhaust ground strap had rusted through. I plan on replacing, but is it okay to drive without it for a week or two?

Thanks in advance.

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i didn't see one when i replaced my manifolds with shorty headers. is it further down the line on the exhaust?

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
There is one on rear of stock muffler, does it really do anything?!?!

OP
OP
RhumHam

RhumHam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yup. Above the muffler clipped to the bracket of the muffler and then to the bracket on the frame.

OP
OP
RhumHam

RhumHam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is one on rear of stock muffler, does it really do anything?!?!
I wish I knew. I have read other forums where they say it dispels static that can disrupt sensors (TPMS) and mess with the radio reception. Who really knows?

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I wish I knew. I have read other forums where they say it dispels static that can disrupt sensors (TPMS) and mess with the radio reception. Who really knows?
Id drive without it and replace when i had time, make a better one.

OP
OP
RhumHam

RhumHam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i didn't see one when i replaced my manifolds with shorty headers. is it further down the line on the exhaust?
Yup. Above the muffler clipped to the bracket of the muffler and then to the bracket on the frame.
Id drive without it and replace when i had time, make a better one.
yeah, I figure I’ll use the clips that were attached to the copper ribbon that rusted and use some copper wire to replace the ribbon.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Running with missing or damaged grounds can cause all sorts of issues . With today’s electronics I would not want to risk damaging any of it .

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The little braided ground strap was starting to get green and crusty on my 2019 classic when I removed it along with the factory muffler to put my mufflex muffler delete pipe on. One end just clips to a muffler hanger, the other end clips to a hanger on the truck chassis. (single exhaust outlet 2019 SLT CC).

Zero issues in ~3-4K miles of use this way.

OP
OP
RhumHam

RhumHam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The little braided ground strap was starting to get green and crusty on my 2019 classic when I removed it along with the factory muffler to put my mufflex muffler delete pipe on. One end just clips to a muffler hanger, the other end clips to a hanger on the truck chassis. (single exhaust outlet 2019 SLT CC).

Zero issues in ~3-4K miles of use this way.
I will probably take my trip and see if there is any weirdness during it. After the trip I may just rig up some copper wire where the old braid was.

OP
OP
RhumHam

RhumHam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I actually just fixed it up. I fabricobbled the new one by cutting the old clasps from the braids. I then used a dremel with a cutting wheel to cut the solder and bend the clamps put. I heated it to remove the solder and remain copper braids. I then stripped two 7 inch lengths of copper speaker wire. I placed the ends of those wires in the clamps and clamped them down. Good enough for government work.

image.jpgimage.jpg

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you have that much corrosion anywhere on your Ram
You better keep an eye on your Fuel Tank Straps

Ram put out a recall on some years straps

OP
OP
RhumHam

RhumHam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have that much corrosion anywhere on your Ram
You better keep an eye on your Fuel Tank Straps

Ram put out a recall on some years straps
Thanks for the heads up. I spent quite a bit of time under it the past few weeks. I visually and physically inspected most everything I could get my hands on.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
More than likely a "rf bond strap"
Dispells static but mostly to make rf travel equally through the un mated part of the truck..
Same idea helps static for high end audio and cb tx/rec..

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A lot of manufacturers provide some sort of exhaust system grounding, the primary reason is to ensure proper O2 sensor current return. I've seen radio static produced from defective ground straps on the exhaust. I'm guessing there are other reasons as well. On third generation Rams there was a TSB issued to address broken or missing ground straps on the transmission to address erratic shifting issues.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 058168 miles.

Ghost1500

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Here is a cheap one made by Mopar.

Can't go wrong for less than 8 bucks! Mine broke when I put my new WWP mid and muffler on. I just ordered it.

Best regards,

-Mike