Exhaust Leak or Valvetrain Noise??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ghost2013SCC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m new to headers so don’t bash me too much. I just installed shorty headers on my 2013 Sport Crew Cab 5.7L. On a cold start I get the tick noise. After it warms up the tick is gone. I get the tick during acceleration. It get faster as speed increases but goes away under cruising. Also, the tick isn’t noticeable at RMP range of 2500+. I attached a video but you can’t really hear the tick due to the exhaust.

What do you guys think, exhaust leak or valvetrain noise?

https://youtube.com/shorts/2UY98GsneZs?feature=share

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
100% sounds like a exhaust leak maybe you used wrong gaskets? or did not tighten them enough or possibly over tightened the 2 main bolts for the flange have seen it happen alot it ovals out the joint and wont seal.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m having a similar issue with my afe headers, entirely my own fault.

my issue was mainly a crack but I also have leaking at the collector sockets.

I ended up using Permatex muffler sealer.

Imo that does sound like a leak. The tick while louder with headers shouldn’t be that noticeable especially with an exhaust.

Shughez12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m new to headers so don’t bash me too much. I just installed shorty headers on my 2013 Sport Crew Cab 5.7L. On a cold start I get the tick noise. After it warms up the tick is gone. I get the tick during acceleration. It get faster as speed increases but goes away under cruising. Also, the tick isn’t noticeable at RMP range of 2500+. I attached a video but you can’t really hear the tick due to the exhaust.

What do you guys think, exhaust leak or valvetrain noise?

https://youtube.com/shorts/2UY98GsneZs?feature=share
Did you end up figuring out what it was? I'm having the same issues after I installed shorty headers