Exhaust manifold bolt(s) broken on 2020 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick Markwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
The ole HEMI tic. Had it on my 2009 RAM. Holding my breath on my 2019. Seems mine started to tic after I tromped down on it. Could be the high torque during hard acceleration that snapped the studs. I decided to get Mopar extended warranty so to reduce the worries about many of the issues in this forum. Surprisingly, the cost was not that bad. Now I have 8 yr factory equivalent warranty.

kabadou

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, it seems the good old hemi exhaust manifold bolt issue continues in the 5th gen, or at least maybe just on my unlucky truck. I had a 2008 with a broken exhaust manifold bolt, so I am very familiar with the sound. I have 28k miles on my 2020 Ram, and just started hearing that same sound. It's still under warranty, so I'm not too worried about cost, but it is pretty disappointing on a new truck with not too many miles on it.

Wondering if anybody else has had their exhaust manifold bolts break on their 5th gens?
Same here on my 2016 Grand Cherokee, multiple bolts broken with only 30,000 miles. My wife drives that car, its a cream puff, never spent a night outside. As for my 2014 RAM I suspect that I've got at least one on each side broken with only 20,000 miles.

SDJMA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man that sucks all these years and its still a problem.. My 2014 it has happened twice on both sides.. Glad I got the life time warranty. The last time it happened they sent it out to get repaired and they did a better job they replaced all the heat shields and exhaust pipe clamps and anything they touched to do the job. The dealer repair sucked but then again I dont care I just took it back and told them you guys suck and to fix it again but this time try and do better than the half Ass job you did last time. Probably why they sent it out to someone who knows how to fix things.. Dealerships suck the good guys work other places

Watson120

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, it seems the good old hemi exhaust manifold bolt issue continues in the 5th gen, or at least maybe just on my unlucky truck. I had a 2008 with a broken exhaust manifold bolt, so I am very familiar with the sound. I have 28k miles on my 2020 Ram, and just started hearing that same sound. It's still under warranty, so I'm not too worried about cost, but it is pretty disappointing on a new truck with not too many miles on it.

Wondering if anybody else has had their exhaust manifold bolts break on their 5th gens?
Same issue with mine at aprox 40k. 2020 limited

Floyd1979

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2020 Lonestar crewcab Rambox hemi, mine cracked . Different sides , different times .
Was not the bolts , manifold was cracked.

ICHILLU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have heard with 5ths Ram supposedly have stronger bolts to address the past issues with the bolts breaking, but now the more common issue is the actual manifold itself cracks. Still not sure which, if either, are the case with mine.
It is NOT a "Rust" or Salt problem... Just poor engineering that has not been corrected... You cannot expect to not have issues when a cast iron manifold in this shape is bolted to an Aluminum head with "tiny bolts" and not deal with a variable expansion and ultimately a failure issue.

I have had 3 Ram 1500's - 2006, 2011, and currently a 2017 - all three have had at least one complete set of bolts replaced (Driver & Passenger sides) and i am currently doing the 2017 again @ 196,000 Km (117,600 miles) on both sides... The bolts are not very hard (probably Grade 5) but should be minimum Grade 8 bolts or hardened stainless steel. Good luck!

Ram1500214

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2021 QC/4x4 /6 foot bed had the head replaced at23k and they had to cut the same bolts off ..was not happy when service advisor told me they are cutting parts off the truck at 24 k ..Texas truck

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if the studs break why would you put the same thing back in. makes zero sense what so ever. may as well punch yourself in the face :pp:

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
if the studs break why would you put the same thing back in. makes zero sense what so ever. may as well punch yourself in the face :pp:
I'm not sure if you were referring to aftermarket, but likely in most dealership cases they were not the same parts. Just off of memory the factory exhaust manifold gasket was changed twice, and the studs three times, at least.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 064094 miles.

OP
OP
Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well the jury is out. It was indeed a cracked manifold (not bolts), which is in line with the fact that they supposedly used stronger bolts on the 5th gens, and what I've been hearing is more cracked manifolds than manifold bolts. My manifold was cracked all the way around cylinders 4 and 6. Replaced under warranty. Happened around 28k miles.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I would like to see a pic of the cracked mainifold just out of curiousity.

IMO, it seems to be a manufacturing issue with the manifolds. As if they are not stress-relieved (or stress-relieved enough) before the mating surface is machined.

So many of us have had warped manifolds, nothing would surprise me.

Mdminnie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I have a 2019 ram 1500, 5.7 hemi, 60000 miles. The tic just started. Passenger side rear bolt is broke, maybe more. This problem is “exhausting”

curtman1122

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
Drivers side got loud around 36000 miles on my 2020. Dealer replaced both manifolds under warranty. They claim the manifolds warp and then break the bolts. At least my 2014 Ram lasted until 70,000 miles to have the exact same issue.