Exhaust manifold bolts 3rd time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well wife just called exuast is ticking again. This will be the 3rd time repairing broken studs.
My 5yr warranty expires this October. So next time is on my dime.

I’m considering going to JBA shorty’s with Remflex gaskets. Not interested in gaining horsepower, I just want reliability!

Anyone have experience with the jba shorty or Remflex gaskets?

Is there a better shorty header available?

Don’t want to deal with long tubes due to cost and moving the cats which will increase cost that much more.

Oh insult to injury truck on has 60k miles....

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why did you keep doing the same thing over and over, and expected different results?

Matt@Moe's will fix you up with top quality, reasonably priced components, and your problem is solved.

A lot of us here are running Shortys, and are very satisfied with them.

OP
OP
B

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why did you keep doing the same thing over and over, and expected different results?

Matt@Moe's will fix you up with top quality, reasonably priced components, and your problem is solved.

A lot of us here are running Shortys, and are very satisfied with them.

I keep doing it over and over because it’s free. That’s about to change though.

So no more problems after I put on headers? I tow 8,000lbs about 6 times a year.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
You may want to use the search engine on this forum to look up "maifold bolts" Some members have found aftermarket bolts that are much better than the OEM. I beleive they are ATR. But, as posted Moe's will probably dial you in all that is needed to resolve this.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't know of anyone having any problems with shortys. You may or may not have to check the manifold bolts a few weeks after install, for loosening bolts, but that'd be it.

Headers may sound a very little bit different, but that's really splitting hairs.

You may pick a little performance with Shortys. The stock iron manifold is such a piece of junk, I can't believe they use them.

OP
OP
B

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It keeps happening because your manifolds are probably warped. That’s what should be fixed not just replacing bolts
Yes I mentioned that to the service writer. His reply was they only cover the bolts.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could have them replace the bolts again for free... then swap to shorties yourself. (extracting the bolts yourself seems like a PITA.. and if they will do it for free I wouldn't even attempt it) Shortie header install is fairly straight forward...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
well wife just called exuast is ticking again. This will be the 3rd time repairing broken studs.
My 5yr warranty expires this October. So next time is on my dime.

I’m considering going to JBA shorty’s with Remflex gaskets. Not interested in gaining horsepower, I just want reliability!

Anyone have experience with the jba shorty or Remflex gaskets?

Is there a better shorty header available?

Don’t want to deal with long tubes due to cost and moving the cats which will increase cost that much more.

Oh insult to injury truck on has 60k miles....

I run Remflex gaskets. The fact they don't need retorquing is great,mine have never leaked.Personally I think they're superior to the OEM 6.1 gaskets that most guys use.I ran the OEM 6.1 gaskets for awhile,but then found the Remflex gaskets and I won't use the OEM gaskets anymore,lol

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Some use OEM bolts and 6.1 gaskets (beefier), I went Remflex (super beefy) and Stage 8 fasteners but I also went ARH LT headers.

IMG_5147.JPG

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why don't they just use a better bolt that can handle the warping while breaking in the engine or do something else. It's obviously been an outstanding issue for years upon years. Is the Hemi the only engine on this planet that warps manifolds? I have never had this issue with any other vehicle I have owned in my life, but both Rams I have owned have pulled it off!

I'm doing shorties when I get the chance. Tolerable for know since it goes away once warm, but still very annoying to listen to it ruin the sound of my bolt on mods cold startup, which would sound pretty great, except for that damn tick, tick, tick, tick....

Me starting up my truck: hell yeah

The guy standing there: hell yeah

The guy standing there: wait a minute, what's that noise? Something's wrong man or you got a big ass Cicada living under your hood!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Some use OEM bolts and 6.1 gaskets (beefier), I went Remflex (super beefy) and Stage 8 fasteners but I also went ARH LT headers.

View attachment 134579

If you put the locking clips on,you're gonna hate pulling the headers again,lol. Stage 8's aren't required and have actually been known to cause issues with the knock sensors on the Hemi's.Most tuners will tell you not to use Stage 8 bolts on a Hemi,or if you do,leave the locking tabs and clips off.Not only that,you can't really get all the lock tabs on all the bolts . The bolts that come with most headers are perfectly fine,and are already included with the headers.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
If you put the locking clips on,you're gonna hate pulling the headers again,lol. Stage 8's aren't required and have actually been known to cause issues with the knock sensors on the Hemi's.Most tuners will tell you not to use Stage 8 bolts on a Hemi,or if you do,leave the locking tabs and clips off.Not only that,you can't really get all the lock tabs on all the bolts . The bolts that come with most headers are perfectly fine,and are already included with the headers.

Amen brother, you speak truth to power. For that very reason, I didn't use the locking tabs and clips, just the Stage 8 fasteners.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Amen brother, you speak truth to power. For that very reason, I didn't use the locking tabs and clips, just the Stage 8 fasteners.
I used the bolts that came with my ARH headers. These knock sensors are very picky. My dipstick tube was touching my header and was causing a false knock that my tuner picked up on my data logs.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I used the bolts that came with my ARH headers. These knock sensors are very picky. My dipstick tube was touching my header and was causing a false knock that my tuner picked up on my data logs.
Where in Tidewater did you get yours installed, or did you do it yourself? Born and raised in Lynnhaven.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where in Tidewater did you get yours installed, or did you do it yourself? Born and raised in Lynnhaven.
I don’t have much free time so I had Brent at Dyno Tuned Performance in Chesapeake install them for me. I’ve lived in va beach/Chesapeake my entire life. Small world

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I don’t have much free time so I had Brent at Dyno Tuned Performance in Chesapeake install them for me. I’ve lived in va beach/Chesapeake my entire life. Small world
Maury (Norfolk) and First Colonial high schools. I lived on Baldwin St. Small world indeed!

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As stated he issue isn’t the bolts.. it’s the manifolds. You could ask the dealer if they wouldn’t mind bolting on the new shorties for you and be done with it. Or take ur factory manifolds and have them milled at a machine shop. They should not warp anymore.

OP
OP
B

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do the 2500's with the 6.4 have the same problem with the exaust manifolds and bolts? Just as bad? Maybe I will save my pennies and upgrade in a year.

Sorry wont have enough pennies for a cummins.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So that’s a mixed review... some have had the problem while others haven’t. I would say yes they do just not as bad as the 5.7