Exhaust manifold bolts.. the struggle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
One member in another thread is going with the Napa replacement manifolds. His mechanic told him they have a different design / materials that solve the bolt problem and have a 2 year warranty. I am only passing this along and have no first hand knowledge. The kits are ~$120 per side. Perhaps an independent shop in your area that uses Napa parts can get / install them for you and then you would have a 2 year warranty on the materials and whatever the shop offers for labor.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
One member in another thread is going with the Napa replacement manifolds. His mechanic told him they have a different design / materials that solve the bolt problem and have a 2 year warranty. I am only passing this along and have no first hand knowledge. The kits are ~$120 per side. Perhaps an independent shop in your area that uses Napa parts can get / install them for you and then you would have a 2 year warranty on the materials and whatever the shop offers for labor.

The last time we tried aftermarket manifolds the bolt holes didn’t even line up. We have only tried them once but that was enough to continue using our OE ones. I don’t know if they are all like that, just my experience with them.

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have taken your truck in for over a dozen bolts to be repaired out of warranty, you’re probably going to end up saving money buying racing hart long tubes and a custom tuner.
Plus you get a way more awesome performing truck out of it!

Daddyhas2boys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly the first time for me was 5 broken bolts total but I opted for the cheap route on ebay with long headers, mid pipe with y pipe...total cost for parts was around 400 i also changed the muffler to a flowmaster super 10 extremely mean and loud when coupled with long headers, keep in mind long headers require a tuner and tune so total i have around 1150 in it but no more broken bolts...ever

Daddyhas2boys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At this point the shorties should be done warping for good so another option is to have the original shorties machined at a machine shop and that should eliminate your broken bolts as well

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bolts are only part of the equation though. You have to fix what's causing the stress. Keep in mind shorties are cheaper, and not a lot of gain. Long tubes are better but only when paired with a tuner. Both the ling tubes and the tune are more expensive than the shorties. You could be close to $2k for long tubes and a tune, where the shorties are closer to $600

In agreement with above. My experience below:

I think I was around 1,400ish with LT Headers, tune, and installed muffler. (I did the header swap myself).

You can piece together something good to save some money if you are willing to do the labor, research, and sourcing yourself.

If you do the work yourself you are potentially better served with LTs. Get more real world satisfaction/results with a PIA job.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All I know is I had the dealer look two times now and both times they say that none are broke. Maybe I think my engine sound louder than it really is but I also have a 2015 with 16k miles.

OP
OP
Lifted2wd

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
All I know is I had the dealer look two times now and both times they say that none are broke. Maybe I think my engine sound louder than it really is but I also have a 2015 with 16k miles.

My 15 is throaty w exhaust and intake. You can tell a broken bolt when you start it up. The noise will go away when the engine heats up

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 15 is throaty w exhaust and intake. You can tell a broken bolt when you start it up. The noise will go away when the engine heats up
True just saying who’s to say they actually looked. I had a random whistle for awhile too and came across a post on here about it being the good or something.

OP
OP
Lifted2wd

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
True just saying who’s to say they actually looked. I had a random whistle for awhile too and came across a post on here about it being the good or something.

Yup. Kinda like the dealer continuously telling me the tick was normal. New lifters. Its gone

jester139

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 16 did this. I went with American Racing headers (long tube with midpipe) and I loved them. I used their hardware and had no issues. I had them for about 40k miles and abused that truck and they held up with zero issues. I did have to get an unlocked PCM and tuner, so it is a chunk of change, but worth it IMO.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye