Exhaust manifold Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
101% true. But what needs to be decided before the repair (what-ever-ya-do) is done. WHAT DO YOU WANT TO ACCOMPLISH??? I have the 6 Spd. auto. behind my 5.7. And at 65MPH I am around 2,000 RPM (and that is even with the 3.55's) I just mine as a "truck". I will take it to the strip once or twice, but just for "kicks & giggles". with Shorty's or long tubes, I will gain- period. Truck almost never will even see 3,000 RPM. If it will not pass others in a short time and distance, then I should not have passed in the first place! The problem occurs from "heat cycles". If the material is NOT the same, so the parts will heat (grow) and cool (shrink) different distances AND at different rates. That is the purpose of "multi-layer" gaskets. They will slide around on each other and still seal and last. I will look for the thickest flanges and contact both Cometic gaskets for gaskets and ARP Fastners for bolt set. These companies are both EXTREMELY well known for solving this type of problem on cylinder heads. I have aluminum heads on a iron block in the 66 -NEVER ANY PROBLEM. Do not know what is available but if I want a chance of "One & Done" these are the people to contact. No sense of spending money to get the same results!

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This issue is usually covered under the PT warranty. Fun story- I had the bolts break on my driver side manifold @57k miles. Dealer replaced under warranty. 13k and 1.5 years later, same bolts broken. Dealer told me to bugger off as it's out of warranty now... Shorties are getting installed in spring.
What is the warranty?

OP
OP
Jim BB

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
update sorry for the such a long delay !
dealer replace manifold and bolts and gasket on RT side (pass side) n/c left side ( driver side) was fine !
since the repair been like a normal 5.7 hemi !

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
5yr/60k miles Powertrain, 3yr/36k bumper to bumper
I love that they told met they couldn’t hear anything two years ago before my oil change. You know like when it would have had warranty still.

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just did the replacement on mine last weekend. I only had one broken bolt and there was enough sticking out of the head to put vice grips on it. Time consuming to do both sides, but not super hard. I used a belt sander, which took a while to get enough material off the manifolds....lol.

northvibe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got the tick just a few weeks ago ish. Maybe after the shop replaced the starter.... hahah. Leaving the repair for a warmer season up here. That lisle kit almost seems like a must for the diy just in case. 56k miles on the truck.

EDIT: Is there recommended replacements for bolts, gasket, header? I'm not looking for performance literally keeping everything stock just want reliability.

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I got the tick just a few weeks ago ish. Maybe after the shop replaced the starter.... hahah. Leaving the repair for a warmer season up here. That lisle kit almost seems like a must for the diy just in case. 56k miles on the truck.

EDIT: Is there recommended replacements for bolts, gasket, header? I'm not looking for performance literally keeping everything stock just want reliability.

Lots of these, scroll back. ARP bolts, Remflex Gasket, machine original manifold flat, or sand at home, if you like.