Exhaust Manifold swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GaedtkeC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I read in some of the other Dodge forums that you can swap the 5.7 exhaust manifolds with 6.4 exhaust manifolds. Sounded like this helped with the warping issue and broken studs and they supposedly flow better than the OEM 5.7 manifolds? Do any of you have experience with this? Would this be a worthwhile swap? Looking forward to your responses. Thanks I really appreciate it.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Pretty sure the flanges are larger.....would have to modify stock exhaust.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I read in some of the other Dodge forums that you can swap the 5.7 exhaust manifolds with 6.4 exhaust manifolds. Sounded like this helped with the warping issue and broken studs and they supposedly flow better than the OEM 5.7 manifolds? Do any of you have experience with this? Would this be a worthwhile swap? Looking forward to your responses. Thanks I really appreciate it.

I think they're swapping the 6.4 SRT Jeep headers onto the 5.7 trucks,i haven't heard of anybody swapping the stock 6.4 manifolds off the 2500's onto the 1500's,not sure if there'd be any gain doing that swap,but I could be wrong

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i took my old warped ones re surfaced with belt sander they will never re warp prob solved forever

OP
OP
GaedtkeC

GaedtkeC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I really appreciate everyone's input on this. I did some digging at some of the exhaust shops in Green Bay and found out that if I were to swap out the exhaust manifolds it would have to be the SRT manifold off of the Jeep or Challenger. But,, as stated in the post above the Y-pipe would have to be modified to accommodate the flange locations on the SRT manifolds. So more trouble than its worth. I ordered a set of Dorman manifolds, Fel-Pro Gaskets, and grade 8 ARP manifold bolts. Have a brother in law is a mechanic and is going to clean up and polish the new manifolds with a die grinder.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
i took my old warped ones re surfaced with belt sander they will never re warp prob solved forever

How are you sure they will never re-warp? Honest question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How are you sure they will never re-warp? Honest question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

normally once they warp they wont warp again havnt had a problem with any of my trucks re warping

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
normally once they warp they wont warp again havnt had a problem with any of my trucks re warping
I was curious too, you get a perfect port to port flatness with a belt sander?

David Skinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Are the short headers a real solution or would one be better off with aftermarket manifolds ?

OP
OP
GaedtkeC

GaedtkeC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Shorty headers will fix the problem but be prepared to have to re-torque the header bolts every 6 to 8 months as they loosen up over time. They make locking header bolts which are better but will also loosen up over time. I was going to go with shorty headers but was talked out of it by an exhaust shop who told me about this.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven’t had one loosen bolt loosen up on mine. I have long tubes. Not sure if it makes a difference.

Bent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yes I am also in this position. About a month ago I had to bring my truck in to replace exhaust manifold and bolts. I'm wondering if aftermarket headers would solve this issue. I agree with Hemi395 with rather having to tighten some bolts then dig out broken studs.

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Yes I am also in this position. About a month ago I had to bring my truck in to replace exhaust manifold and bolts. I'm wondering if aftermarket headers would solve this issue. I agree with Hemi395 with rather having to tighten some bolts then dig out broken studs.
I agree. I wish i could get short headers for mine. but all there is are the over priced long tubes.

OP
OP
GaedtkeC

GaedtkeC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I actually changed my mind. I sent back the doorman exhaust manifolds, will be ordering shorty headers. Hemi395 you talked me into it LOL!