Exhaust Manifolds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mooreo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Y’all, sounds like I got a leak in my passenger exhaust manifold. I was looking at maybe upgrading both instead of just replacing. Can anyone suggest a good performance enhancing replacement? I was looking at maybe doing all Mopar but wasn’t sure if that was the best way to go about it. Thanks!

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you want to do shorties you can pick up a little hp. I would recommend the AFE shorties.

If you want to go long tubes and gain a nice chunk of power go ARH or Stainless Works.

We offer all these options and you can message me for a quote and more info.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Does 6.1, 6.2, or 6.4 fit our trucks? Do those also have problems?

-Mike
Rumour mill says the 6.1/6.4 Jeep manifolds supposedly can be made to work,but i've never actually seen anybody post up,that they are running the Jeep manifolds.The mid pipe would probably have to be a modded Jeep midpipe

Ghost1500

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'll end up with shorty headers that are a direct replacement. Seems like the easiest route with less power lost down low and a decent increase up top. Plus, it's the easier install between the two. Long VS short. I was thinking of getting something on the cheaper side and having it Jet-Hot coated. I have my 3" down pipe Jet-Hot coated on my Veloster N and it cuts down on engine heat a ton!!!

Best regards,

-Mike

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'll end up with shorty headers that are a direct replacement. Seems like the easiest route with less power lost down low and a decent increase up top. Plus, it's the easier install between the two. Long VS short. I was thinking of getting something on the cheaper side and having it Jet-Hot coated. I have my 3" down pipe Jet-Hot coated on my Veloster N and it cuts down on engine heat a ton!!!

Best regards,

-Mike
You're on the wrong planet,if you think shorties are easier to install,lol. Don't even waste your time with them,go right to long tubes.Long tubes generate bottem end torque,which is what you want in a truck,while shorties are more top end based. Long tubes and a good tune are one of the better bang for your buck mods you can do on the trucks,the only better bang for buck mod is a small shot of nitrous.If your 14 has the 8 speed,don't even think about a Diablo tuner,it's hit or miss on whether it'll be able to tune a 14's 8 speed,while HP will tune it.

Ghost1500

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Well, the ONLY reason I would do headers in the first place is if I got the dreaded manifold ticks. Then I would. Other than that, I am fine with just a better sounding mid and muffler which I already changed. Living here in this expletive of a state I will never do long tubes. I'll be stopped all the time.... My friend that went long tubes, cat delete, and better mufflers got fined and the next fine was $10,000. He put it all back stock except the muffler. He lives right up the street. So no long tubes for me. I need something that will bolt up the factory type cats in the truck. Short tubes are a better option than the factory manifolds that will just leak again.

Best regards,

-Mike

Dirty D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, the ONLY reason I would do headers in the first place is if I got the dreaded manifold ticks. Then I would. Other than that, I am fine with just a better sounding mid and muffler which I already changed. Living here in this expletive of a state I will never do long tubes. I'll be stopped all the time.... My friend that went long tubes, cat delete, and better mufflers got fined and the next fine was $10,000. He put it all back stock except the muffler. He lives right up the street. So no long tubes for me. I need something that will bolt up the factory type cats in the truck. Short tubes are a better option than the factory manifolds that will just leak again.

Best regards,

-Mike
mmm actually once the warping of the manifolds occure and you have the mounting surface planed flat again...thats it...no more warping...its called heat treating.

PT-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Approximate cost of long tubes vs. planing your existing manifolds??
Also, any danger of just living with the ticking manifolds? Sound drives me nuts, but wondering if it's dangerous to live with it for a while?

Hydrasport23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed new coated shorty headers when I replaced the cam and lifters. I had replaced the exhaust manifold bolts a few months earlier but decided to replace the OEM manifolds with shorty headers because the engine was apart. The only reason I installed shortys was to get away from the longer exhaust bolts and the potential for them to break again. If I had to do it over, I would use the new Dorman exhaust manifold bolts and reuse my OEM manifolds. The shorty headers have been off twice due to exhaust leaks near the collectors. Finally brazed the cracks in the headers and they seem to be holding, but the expense and extra work is not worth the benefit of shorty headers. The cracks became noticeable when the headers were 13 months old and the warranty was only 12 months.
Long tube headers and new crossover is a lot of money for very little HP but the sound improvement may be worth it to you.
I used a Diablo tuner to improve performance of the engine, turn off MDS and have the potential to change rear gear ratio one day in the future.
The Diablo will not tune the 8 speed and Diablo admits that it will not change anything in the ZF's TCM. No can tuner will do that and most high price tunes will not improve the ZF 8 speed. Service the transmission and leave the transmission tune alone.

Dan90

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I installed new coated shorty headers when I replaced the cam and lifters. I had replaced the exhaust manifold bolts a few months earlier but decided to replace the OEM manifolds with shorty headers because the engine was apart. The only reason I installed shortys was to get away from the longer exhaust bolts and the potential for them to break again. If I had to do it over, I would use the new Dorman exhaust manifold bolts and reuse my OEM manifolds. The shorty headers have been off twice due to exhaust leaks near the collectors. Finally brazed the cracks in the headers and they seem to be holding, but the expense and extra work is not worth the benefit of shorty headers. The cracks became noticeable when the headers were 13 months old and the warranty was only 12 months.
Long tube headers and new crossover is a lot of money for very little HP but the sound improvement may be worth it to you.
I used a Diablo tuner to improve performance of the engine, turn off MDS and have the potential to change rear gear ratio one day in the future.
The Diablo will not tune the 8 speed and Diablo admits that it will not change anything in the ZF's TCM. No can tuner will do that and most high price tunes will not improve the ZF 8 speed. Service the transmission and leave the transmission tune alone.
curious, which brand shorty headers did you put on?

I had a similar experience with JBA's a while back and drove me to put stock manifolds back on.

Would go with a quality long tube (ARH) if I were to do it again.... which I might need to do considering I have a broken passenger side front bolt... again... o_O

rneal55555

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm in the just true up what you have and reinstall. The little bit of improvement you get from headers/tune you won't even notice in a daily driver driven normally.

Dirty D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm in the just true up what you have and reinstall. The little bit of improvement you get from headers/tune you won't even notice in a daily driver driven normally.
im 100% going to disagree with you. i put my ARH 1 7/8s on with a Borla S-type catback and a tune and umm big difference.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The Engine Masters guys were dyno'ing app. +10% torque with LT Headers. Didn't really kick in till app. 3k rpm, if I recall.

Exhaust leak will only kill ya if running in a service bay with door snorkel exhaust. Also is bad if it impinges on anything burnable - don't know if any elastomers are near passenger side front cyl. Third thing you might fail a sniff test if you live in the mandatory sniff test locations.

Other than these, it's an annoyance for sound.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My truck had less then 2,000 miles on it when i put long tubes and tune on it,the combo was good for over a 1/2 second at the track ,but the part throttle differance was where the combo was really noticable. The manifolds on the trucks are a peanut port design,and really restrict the exhaust flow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dyadeta