Exhaust q&a

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean tutor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
So I have a single in dual out flowmaster that came on truck but it just isn’t as loud as I want was wondering what would be my best option to get a deeper more aggressive tone with out the hassle of removing the catalytic converter and then having to have custom tune could I put a aftermarket cat on and it help if so any recommendations

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Loudest possible while still having a good sound and not popping without changing anything would be swapping current muffler for a flowmaster 10 series. Other options are carven or black widow something or other both of those brand make a loud/aggresive muffler. Both will be just a hair less noisy at WOT compared to a 10 series but trade off is they will both have a bit of a smoother tone to them. Depending on what kind of emission tests you have to pass, messing with cats can be a major PITA (I know from experience lol. ) Mufflers is like truck brands though, everyone claims the one they have is the best and have there own reasons why so be prepared to hear all 9f them, but I've played with all of the ones I listed along with magnaflows on hemis (rams and challengers) and to my ears what I said is true. But to each there own. I'd reccomend hitting YouTube and listening to as many videos of each one as you can to get a idea of the tones

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Gibson Super Truck cat-back stainless system is what you want!
the previous owner put this on before I bought this truck and it has the deepest, throatiest, non popping or droning sweetest sound I've ever heard, but not obnoxiously loud unless you get down on it.
Sorta like the old MOPAR's had, it'll even sound deeper once I get my Gibson shorty headers installed.
The Super Truck series all exit right in front of the right rear tire so there's not much pipe out of the muffler before it exits.
IMG_20150905_093804_194.jpg
IMG_20150905_094037_088.jpg

OP
OP
Sean tutor

Sean tutor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Loudest possible while still having a good sound and not popping without changing anything would be swapping current muffler for a flowmaster 10 series. Other options are carven or black widow something or other both of those brand make a loud/aggresive muffler. Both will be just a hair less noisy at WOT compared to a 10 series but trade off is they will both have a bit of a smoother tone to them. Depending on what kind of emission tests you have to pass, messing with cats can be a major PITA (I know from experience lol. ) Mufflers is like truck brands though, everyone claims the one they have is the best and have there own reasons why so be prepared to hear all 9f them, but I've played with all of the ones I listed along with magnaflows on hemis (rams and challengers) and to my ears what I said is true. But to each there own. I'd reccomend hitting YouTube and listening to as many videos of each one as you can to get a idea of the tones

OP
OP
Sean tutor

Sean tutor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Here In ms we don’t currently have any emissions or smog test so was wandering if maybe changing my own cat to a high flow cat or maybe even like a flowmaster cat then putting on one of the mufflers you suggested would that help because I was told that I can’t make my truck any louder with out doing away with my cats and I don’t want it so loud u can’t think but I would like it to be louder than what it is now

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here In ms we don’t currently have any emissions or smog test so was wandering if maybe changing my own cat to a high flow cat or maybe even like a flowmaster cat then putting on one of the mufflers you suggested would that help because I was told that I can’t make my truck any louder with out doing away with my cats and I don’t want it so loud u can’t think but I would like it to be louder than what it is now
Well without knowing what flowmaster you have it's hard to answer that 100% positive but if it's not a 10 series (about the size of a closed fist lol) then you absolutely can make it louder without touching the cats. Other things can make it a bit louder is shortening the tailpipe if yours exits out the back of the bed then shortening that to exit somewhere like what the guy above suggested in front of the rear wheel or whatever will add some DB. High flow cats do definitely make more noise as well. I have to put my factory cats on to pass emissions and when I do that it gets significantly quieter. But there is a chance of throwing 02 codes, but maybe not some people dont have any issue some do.
I've never heard of what the guy above has but it sounds like a nice system if it's a full stainless cat back, worth hitting YouTube seeing If you can find a video or two.
Before I swapped to long tubes i had the factory manifolds, cut out the resonators, factory cats then straight into the 10 series flowmaster and just a 6" turn down and it was super loud for basically just being a muffler swap, louder than any other muffler swapped ram I've heard. If your a princess who can't take "drone" which is simply a loud high DB exhaust then you won't want a 10 series lol you will hear it all the time in your cab, then I'd say check out carven or a flowmaster super 44. Those are still fairly loud mufflers but with smoother tones and a lower DB so wont be rappin in the cab as much.
Also for sure check out that system the member mentioned above it sounds like it's a nice setup.
Definitely hit YouTube before pulling the trigger on one though I'm sure you can find sound videos of dang near every muffler available

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And "being so loud you cant think" is per individuals opinion I suppose because I have the loudest hemi ram anywhere around by far, it will blow some eardrums out at WOT if your outside to the passenger side of the truck lol yet it is perfectly fine inside with windows down and everything I talk to my young kids driving it all the time and me and my wife have done road trips in it and go out on dates and have perfectly fine conversations talking at normal levels. only time you would have to actually raise your voice (actually pretty much yell lol) is if I have it full throttle but if you're doing that then I doubt you are also trying to have a conversation lol.
I have Kooks long tubes into Kooks high flow cat'd Y and dumped straight off the Y, exhaust exits right underneath the front seats and still talk just fine to my 8 year old in the back seat so it's more personal preference on what is "to loud" or obnoxious or whatever.

noodles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mine is personal secret sauce stuff. But, I get comments and looks when I coast by. :)

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is personal secret sauce stuff. But, I get comments and looks when I coast by. :)
Lol my buddy is same way with his F150, think I'm the only one who knows the exact setup besides him but he made me swear I wouldn't share what he has [emoji23] definitely a mean sounding F150 for sure, though I got him beat [emoji851]