Exhaust recommends (No drone)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
X2 on the Carven Progressive start up. Especially on cold quiet winter mornings. That damn thing roars to life like you wouldn’t believe. But after she comes down off high idle and settles in you barely hear it. And I leave for work between 2-3am.

I love my neighbors, but when they start paying my mortgage, I’ll let them choose what kind of muffler I run.

Do you have a sound video of that progressive? Would you mind posting one when you get a chance?

slbenz600

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L
What's up guys...

So I'm looking into upgrading the exhaust on my 2014 5.7L Ram, I don't want something to loud, to where I'm shaking the ground through the neighborhood LOL. I've had loud trucks before, trucks even with that annoying droning sound.

I just want something that's got a little more rumble then factory when stepping on the pedal. I've heard ideas like muffler delete, but not sure if that will mess with inspection or check engine lights.? I also been looking on American trucks and came across an exhaust called the Carven, they have a few different options as far as 5" tips chrome or black, a mild sound or very loud, But what I really like is the fact that it's DIY practically, so I can do it in my driveway.

So what are yalls thoughts on it? What kind of sets ups you guys running? but also avoiding that drone sound, or if yall are experiencing the drone which exhaust is it?

You have to remember that there is a 3 inch pipe that runs into catalytic convert and out with 3 inch pipe then into the one inch pipe. Both cats are side by side at the back of exhaust where the two pipes come together and goes to single three inch pipe, that pipe is maybe 2 to 3 inches long. on the rear of the catalytic converters weld either wild am X-pipe or "you said low exhaust flow down" Flowmaster makes an X=Muffler. Your exhaust system is three inch from cats to rear of your truck.
If that isn't clear I will see if I can take a picture of mine.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Drone is not caused by MDS. It’s due to the exhaust configuration and resonance of the system as well as location of the resonance in relation to the body of the vehicle which will amplify sound waves.

MDS equals horrible exhaust note as you are losing 4 cylinders but that’s not drone. Drone is resonance created by the exhaust, which can be amplified by our trucks bc the muffler is located under the pass rear seat area which acts like a microphone. Depending on engine load vs rpm you can actually change the resonance slightly where you can hear it resonate something new like a different window or interior plastic which illustrates the point of it’s more of a vibration due to sound waves aka resonance. If I hold my truck in gear and apply more load (more gas) without letting the truck downshift say on a hill (no speed increase) I can amplify the resonance and make it louder and hear the vibration in different parts of the truck.

best way to fix it is to cancel the sound waves that cause the resonance (J pipe). 2nd best is to get a muffler that doesn’t amplify the resonant frequencies (chambered mufflers have no sound absorption and usually make it worse) so straight through or mufflers with packing will do better. You can also move the mufflers placement in the exhaust which will help sometimes but that’s not viable for all platforms. You can also help a lot by adding sound deadening to the truck body around the areas that resonate so on the floor and rear doors and rear cab wall (large sections of flat metal). Using butyl sound Mat can help cut down on the resonating frequencies big time as well as other road noise. Also remember then applying butyl Mat you don’t need 100% coverage and anything between 30-70% usually has the largest affect on sound absorption which anything higher is essentially a waste of material as you don’t gain much more absorption. So when you see vehicles completely covered it’s basically overkill with no real benefit however it looks nice.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm looking to do this too. I don't want anything with too much of a drone and something that has a deep, tuned note. Out of the American exhaust, I like the sound of the Borla Stinger and the Magnaflow.

But here is a twist. Has anyone tried or heard of the Australian exhaust for the Ram 1500?
Sound and drone is subjective and not to everyone's taste, but I think it sounds really cool.

(I can't post youtube media like I used to, so here are the links)

Manta Exhaust 1

Manta Exhaust 2

Torqit Exhaust

Redback Extreme

Dragon62

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put in a flowmaster flow FX muffler a few weeks back. Only replaced the muffler, stock all else. Better then stock, at least it sounds like a truck now. Mild tone upgrade but I didnt want a blast. I like the sound and no drone tone at all. I day ago we put in a cold air intake, K&N 77, that makes a difference! More air in, more air out and, sounds like a truck on a mission.