Exhaust shopping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone, love my truck but I want to be able to hear my HEMI a little more. I was looking for something that won’t break the bank and that I can do myself. With just a little research around here I noticed a few of you guys have a mufflex brand exhaust. Can anyone vouche for this one in particular or if anyone has another suggestion I’d love to hear it.

PS I want it to sound right, like a V8 should so if this brand sounds cheap or weak and I need to invest in a full system or different setup please be honest.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, please look over our muffler direct swap kit options from Carven and Solo Performance here
https://gotexhaust.com/c-1183874-ram-owners-preferred-products.html

We have sold a TON of these due to their great value, sound and most of all quality. Let me know if you have any questions are if interested in purchasing any of them. I can offer you a forum discount!

A full cat back wont be necessary for better sound. The muffler kits will work just fine. The Carven progressive and competitor as well as the solo mach 40 all will sound great!

atrupo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I poured over YouTube videos when I was looking for my exhaust. They at least give you an idea of what things sound like. I ended up buying a cheap eBay Flowmaster kit. I think Flowmaster has the best V8 sound. Sorry, I'm not too familiar with Mufflex.

OP
OP
Matt Todd

Matt Todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just remember that when you go aftermarket exhaust, it sounds bad when MDS kicks in.

Do you mind elaborating a little please? What’s an MDS and how does it sound bad?

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the mufflex D18 magnaflow muffler and love it. Direst replacement was pretty easy. It does have a bit of a drone at cruising speed but Im ok with it. I also have 5" carvin tips which make the tone a bit deeper. I got tips first and they sounded great even with oem muffler.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you mind elaborating a little please? What’s an MDS and how does it sound bad?

Oh, you'll know...when cylinder deactivation engages (FCA's name for it is MDS), the motor sounds like it's bogging down.

I never had that issue with my present or past Ram but I did on a '14 Charger R/T. Ugh...quite disappointing considering how much I spent on that cat-back system!

Anyhoo, I have a Borla ProXS on my Reb and it rocks! Cold-weather starts are nice and loud, but it mellows perfectly once warmed up. There's a little drone at cruise rpms, but nothing nearly as bad as the Flowmaster system did on my Charger.

Tips play into this, too, BTW, and while I don't run the trumpet-on-steroids Carvens that many prefer here, I'm running Go Rhino! 4-inch black-powder coated SS exhaust tips (GRT25414B). The result, as I said, makes the Hemi sound like it should've from the factory.

TXCOMT

Reactions: Mop

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

You don't notice it much with the stock exhaust, but MDS (not sure what it stands for) is a system that kicks in that reduces your 8 cylinders down to 4 in an attempt to help fuel mileage when cruising. The sound of that switch is very noticeable with an aftermarket exhaust. It's kind of a gurgling sound and it's not pleasant. I always turn mine off by selecting the gear +/- switch on the steering wheel. I put it in 8 and let'er rip.

carlcochran79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, it is all personal preference. Having listened on youtube (not the best sound test but better than nothing) I personally think I will be going with the magnaflow mufflex 18. I don't have one yet though so my opinion may not be the best one on the subject.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a feeling I’m about to be balls deep into YouTube videos while shopping for an exhaust
Yes... yes you will be.. you can maybe narrow it down by the most popular choices like searching for carven, borla, magnaflow 14”, and just a muffler delete to make it a lil easier. Love my carven just to add my two cents.

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're looking for direct fit you have a few options...Muflex, Carven, Solo, etc. If you don't mind welding or having a muffler shop install, then you open yourself up to a lot more options. So far I've had a Magnaflow 14" and my current muffler a Borla Pro XS. The Magnaflow sounded good, but the interior drone was deafening at certain RPMs. The Borla sounds close to the MF, but has no drone....it's awesome. Borla is a great compromise on sound/tone, loudness, and drone IMHO.

Having said that, I just ordered a Spintech Super Pro Street 9000XL to try out. Even though I like the Borla, I want something with a little more sound. Spintech's get great reviews for sound and little to no drone. Will see how it goes next week when I get it installed. If it sucks, then the Borla will go back on. I also have the Blackwidow Venom and Gibson MWA on the back of my mind......I think I have a problem.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have a feeling I’m about to be balls deep into YouTube videos while shopping for an exhaust

Yup..that's how I picked exhaust for several vehicles.

KnurledNut

SemperFi
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm a fan of Carven. Deep & throaty w/ minimal drone a radio can handle. Easy DIY install.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the catback Magnaflow and really like it, but my buddy has a muffler swap Pypes, and it may sound a tad better in my opinion. It just sounds a bit more raw, in a good way.

OP
OP
Matt Todd

Matt Todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I poured over YouTube videos when I was looking for my exhaust. They at least give you an idea of what things sound like. I ended up buying a cheap eBay Flowmaster kit. I think Flowmaster has the best V8 sound. Sorry, I'm not too familiar with Mufflex.

Would you like to share what type of Flowmaster setup you purchased?

OP
OP
Matt Todd

Matt Todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're looking for direct fit you have a few options...Muflex, Carven, Solo, etc. If you don't mind welding or having a muffler shop install, then you open yourself up to a lot more options. So far I've had a Magnaflow 14" and my current muffler a Borla Pro XS. The Magnaflow sounded good, but the interior drone was deafening at certain RPMs. The Borla sounds close to the MF, but has no drone....it's awesome. Borla is a great compromise on sound/tone, loudness, and drone IMHO.

Having said that, I just ordered a Spintech Super Pro Street 9000XL to try out. Even though I like the Borla, I want something with a little more sound. Spintech's get great reviews for sound and little to no drone. Will see how it goes next week when I get it installed. If it sucks, then the Borla will go back on. I also have the Blackwidow Venom and Gibson MWA on the back of my mind......I think I have a problem.

So far I like the sound of the borla, question...when shopping for an exhaust how do I know that I’m heading in the DIY direction? Whatever I get has to be in the realm of doing it myself with no welding or taking it to the shop to do it. Should I be looking out for “mufflers” or “kits”?

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So far I like the sound of the borla, question...when shopping for an exhaust how do I know that I’m heading in the DIY direction? Whatever I get has to be in the realm of doing it myself with no welding or taking it to the shop to do it. Should I be looking out for “mufflers” or “kits”?

If you don't want to do any welding or have a shop do it, you'll need to be looking for kits that have the muffler and extra piping/clamps that will just bolt on. That will limit what you should be looking at....Muflex, Carven, maybe Flowmaster, etc.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Mufflex muffler delete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atrupo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would you like to share what type of Flowmaster setup you purchased?

There are generic ones all over eBay with Flowmaster, Cherry Bomb, etc. mufflers. The one I found was a Super 44 with 2.5" duals for like $200. The piping was all mandrel bends. The hangers sucked, the tailpipes sucked and I needed an extra piece of straight 3" piping to make up for the smaller muffler, but it was so much cheaper than a brand name setup. If you just search for Ram 1500 exhausts on eBay, you'll find hundreds of catbacks. If you do go with Flowmaster, make sure it's 409S or it will might rot out.

I mention that it had duals because I went from single exit to dual.