Exhaust sound 2022 RAM 2500 Cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stlouisSteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins diesel
After initial start up and engine warm up, I hear a very low-pitched intermittent sound from the muffler. It's like a thumping bass sound, even when the audio/radio is off. If it wasn't a diesel, I would think it is a "backfire" . It occurs at idle and acceleration on city streets. It does not appear to persist on the highway at those speeds. Does anyone have input on this. It must have something to do with the engine being diesel, but I don't know if it is related to the DEF injector system. I have sinced learned the 2022 RAM has a feature called active noise cancellation, which cannot be turned off, according to the owner manual. Can it be adjusted? And I have six microphone sensors in the cab: two forward, two on front seats over the windows, and two in the rear. All in the headliner. Could active noise cancellation be the cause of the low pitched, thumping sound I hear? I know the cancellation can be disabled only by rolling down the front windows. This seems pointless.

Last edited:

Redrunner97

Reaction score
Ram Year
I'm having this same issue. Haven't had a chance to get it to the shop yet to ask. I thought it was a blown sub speaker at first but it's not the sound system. I was wondering if it had to do with the exhaust? To me it sounds also like big fireworks going off in the distance. Definitely gets faster as you accelerate and is only noticeable at idle or in town speeds. Doesn't always happen either.

Country Carpenter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm having the same issue with my new 2022 2500 6.4l. It's annoying. It seemed to go away when you switch to neutral while driving so I can't for the life of me even guess what it is.

OP
OP
stlouisSteve

stlouisSteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins diesel
Read my last two sentences about Active Noise Cancellation. According to the owner manual, it cannot be turned off(it could probably be disabled) but when you roll down the driver's window halfway or more, it DOES turn the system off. So run a test at idle and see if that is what you hear. It is active even with the radio off or muted. Then call your dealer and report the issue. I have a suspicion that they can adjust the system.

Rodsaylor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Turbo diesel
I have the same issue, it is the Active noise cancelling system, try the window test sitting still you will see it goes away, maybe if enough people complain they will do something

OP
OP
stlouisSteve

stlouisSteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins diesel
I recently took my truck to a dealership to address the Active Noise Cancellation issue. I was informed that there is no "flash" update for this concern. I have taken the issue directly to RAM and have not heard back from them. I know how to disconnect the feature, but I don't want to alter the system because the truck is under warranty.

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have a 2022.. unplugged the active noise mics and no more issues.. did the same thing on my 2019 power wagon.. never had a problem getting warranty work done @stlouisSteve… and my power wagon was In the shop over 10 times.

Lettikka

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am pretty sure I had the same issue on my 2019 Laramie, there were a few guys posting about it . It was happening only with the Harmon Kardin systems if I remember correctly. It was a while ago but I think there was an update that fixed the issue and I thought it came remotely without having to take the truck to the dealer. No issues with it after the update.