Exhaust Tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twelver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How does the size of exhaust tips effect the sound?? Does a smaller diameter vs a larger diameter effect the sound and how?? Same question about shorter vs longer and how?? I am considering swapping my factory dual exhaust tips to different ones and would like to know what the difference in tips would be. Thanks in advance!!

pld

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
For me switching to 5" X 12" long deepened my exhaust sound using the same muffler.:favorites13:I don't think a 5" stubby tip like the factory ones would have any effect probably because the exhaust is exited too quickly. I have the MBRP T5053 tip's and i used the factory tip's (cutdown)for the reducers

Last edited:

hotrodderscott

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
For me switching to 5" X 12" long deepened my exhaust sound using the same muffler.:favorites13:I don't think a 5" stubby tip like the factory ones would have any effect probably because the exhaust is exited too quickly. I have the MBRP T5053 tip's and i used the factory tip's (cutdown)for the reducers

Using the factory tip as your reducer how far past the bumper do your new 5" tips stick out?
any pics?

pld

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Using the factory tip as your reducer how far past the bumper do your new 5" tips stick out?
any pics?

I cut back the tailpipe 2" in front of the resonators and rewelded the cut down factory tip. My Tip's are perfectly flush and 3/8" space from the top of the bumper cutout:)

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This thread and topic is worthless without pictures!! Seriously PLD, pictures!! :)

OP
OP
T

twelver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I could care less about pictures!! lol I am wondering how it affects sound. So, would a shorter, smaller diameter tip give it a higher tone vs a longer larger diameter tip giving it a deeper tone? Thanks for the replies!

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I could care less about pictures!! lol I am wondering how it affects sound. So, would a shorter, smaller diameter tip give it a higher tone vs a longer larger diameter tip giving it a deeper tone? Thanks for the replies!

I don't have any special sound analysis training to back this statement, but I would say that longer and wider should produce deeper sound. :)

I have the MF catback with 22" muffler, 5" dia tips. When I took the tips off to have them powder coated, most of the sound was pretty much gone. With the tips on, the truck has a very low bass-rumble , no popping or gurgle.

Attachments

• Tips Powder Coated 6.jpg
    Tips Powder Coated 6.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 253
  • Tips Powder Coated 3.jpg
    Tips Powder Coated 3.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 2,882

pld

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
another one

Attachments

• tips1.jpg
    tips1.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 1,153

pld

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Did I not try and answer your Question or is this gonna be pete and repeat?Spend some cash and find out like most of us did:sleepy10:

OP
OP
T

twelver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did I not try and answer your Question or is this gonna be pete and repeat?Spend some cash and find out like most of us did:sleepy10:

Yes you did answer my question!! I wasn't the one that said this thread was useless without pictures. I simply stated I did not care about pictures, I was more interested in the sound difference which you and Davidram answered. So I don't know why you are getting on me about it. I thought this was a forum to share information. Sorry, I am not made out of money to just go and buy all kinds of different stuff to try and find out what I like or don't like. My comment about not caring about pics was not directed at you anyway so chill out!!

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Why does everyone have to be a bunch of ******* **** heads on this forum.
It's really getting old.
If you think someone has a stupid question or responce then just **** off and don't be a **** or smartass.

OP
OP
T

twelver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have any special sound analysis training to back this statement, but I would say that longer and wider should produce deeper sound. :)

I have the MF catback with 22" muffler, 5" dia tips. When I took the tips off to have them powder coated, most of the sound was pretty much gone. With the tips on, the truck has a very low bass-rumble , no popping or gurgle.

DavidRam Thank You for your response. You always have informative responses and you are always nice about it. Your powder coated tips look awesome by the way. I might have to look in to doing that as well. Thanks Again!!

pld

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yes you did answer my question!! I wasn't the one that said this thread was useless without pictures. I simply stated I did not care about pictures, I was more interested in the sound difference which you and Davidram answered. So I don't know why you are getting on me about it. I thought this was a forum to share information. Sorry, I am not made out of money to just go and buy all kinds of different stuff to try and find out what I like or don't like. My comment about not caring about pics was not directed at you anyway so chill out!!

:favorites13:

OP
OP
T

twelver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's really getting old.
If you think someone has a stupid question or responce then just **** off and don't be a **** or smartass.

How was I being a **** Head??

pld

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It's really getting old.

Last edited:

daddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Damn I like that black. I wonder what they would look like with a chrome bumper.

daddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've never really looked under there, but are the stock chrome tips bolt on or welded? I really like that black.