Exhaust V6 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hhhjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I have 2016 Ram 1500 SLT with V6 thinking of changing the exhaust. If you take the resonator off will it trip any codes or make it run different? Also want to change the muffler it is a single exhaust does any know the exact replacement muffler? Does anyone know the offsets and pipe size? Any downfalls to this?

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
From what I've read, you can purchase the stock v8 dual exhaust from the cat back. Do a search here, I know there are posts on this.

Good Luck!

Philip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
You might want to hold off unless you like the sound of V6 japanese cars like the Infiniti G35 or similair. I was going to open up my exhaust but researched and watched a ton of videos, the truck sounds like a V6 ricer with open exhaust.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Find someone with a OEM V8 dual exhaust and install on your truck. There’s a thread on here somewhere about the one rubber hanger on the drivers side you need. You don’t have to have the dual cutout bumper for it to work either.... I ran mine for over a year before I found a used bumper.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I too have an OEM takeoff from a sport (apparently the sport muffler is slightly different). It sounds great in my opinion. Not loud at all but a nice grumble to it.

It cost me about $150 from LKQ shipped to a local yard. I installed it myself in about 45 minutes...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Cesar592

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
I also have my double oem output of a 2017 at that time the grunt is not very strong but it changes a little and much better when you install them a carven exhaust competitor with pedal commander I love my ram with those three mods

stephane87

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 V6
Find someone with a OEM V8 dual exhaust and install on your truck. There’s a thread on here somewhere about the one rubber hanger on the drivers side you need. You don’t have to have the dual cutout bumper for it to work either.... I ran mine for over a year before I found a used bumper.

Hi, would it be possible to have more detail about what you did please? So you had a V6 single exhaust that you swap for a V8 double exhaust?

thanks

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, would it be possible to have more detail about what you did please? So you had a V6 single exhaust that you swap for a V8 double exhaust?

thanks

I start out with a non cutout bumper and single exhaust and swapped it out for a cutout bumper and dual exhaust. The only extra part you need is the driver side rubber hanger to hold the driver's side pipe. I ran the dual exhaust for a year with the non cutout bumper before a found a good take off dual cut bumper. The tips will fit just below the non cut out bumper with out any problem.

read thru this thread: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/single-to-dual-exhaust-conversion-s.132202/page-3

stephane87

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 V6
I start out with a non cutout bumper and single exhaust and swapped it out for a cutout bumper and dual exhaust. The only extra part you need is the driver side rubber hanger to hold the driver's side pipe. I ran the dual exhaust for a year with the non cutout bumper before a found a good take off dual cut bumper. The tips will fit just below the non cut out bumper with out any problem.

read thru this thread: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/single-to-dual-exhaust-conversion-s.132202/page-3

Thanks a lot for the informations... any pictures with the stock bumper (no cut off)?

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks a lot for the informations... any pictures with the stock bumper (no cut off)?

No, I can't seem to find any but it looks about the same just the tips are a little lower without the cut outs.

MojaveWarlock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

Here’s mine after I installed it. I can get you more pictures if you want.

I did the swap and love the results. Although the tips are adjustable, it drives me nuts that I can’t get them perfectly straight back so if anyone can take some measurements of where they sit in the dual cutout bumper I would be grateful! Either from the outside park sensor to the middle of the exhaust or from the outside edge of the hitch receiver to the center of the exhaust if you don’t have sensors.

59BF2FB8-3466-478D-8AE0-C4784E252952.jpeg

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The pentastar actually sounds good with some of the aftermarket mufflers available.

Thinking about a muffler swap myself, or just a powered cut out ahead of the stock muffler so I can have the best of both worlds.

MojaveWarlock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have 2016 Ram 1500 SLT with V6 thinking of changing the exhaust. If you take the resonator off will it trip any codes or make it run different? Also want to change the muffler it is a single exhaust does any know the exact replacement muffler? Does anyone know the offsets and pipe size? Any downfalls to this?

It’s a 3” inlet to the muffler and I believe it’s a 3” outlet for the single exhaust. From what others have said on this forum, the resonator just changes the sound a little so it shouldn’t throw any codes if you take it off.

Easy way to hear what it sounds like is to check YouTube. There is one video where the guy starts the truck with the full stock single exhaust on, then takes the resonator pipe off from the outlet and starts it. Then takes the muffler off and starts it. Everyone is subjective to what they like in an exhaust note so watch a lot of videos or if you have the time you can take it off yourself in 10 minutes and hear it in person. I settled on the hemi dual exhaust and it took me maybe 45 minutes to take my single off and put the dual one in.

stephane87

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 V6
The pentastar actually sounds good with some of the aftermarket mufflers available.

Thinking about a muffler swap myself, or just a powered cut out ahead of the stock muffler so I can have the best of both worlds.

What do you mean by « just a powered cut out »....

MWieser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins, Hemi 5.7, Pentastar 3.6
Here’s mine after I installed it. I can get you more pictures if you want.

I did the swap and love the results. Although the tips are adjustable, it drives me nuts that I can’t get them perfectly straight back so if anyone can take some measurements of where they sit in the dual cutout bumper I would be grateful! Either from the outside park sensor to the middle of the exhaust or from the outside edge of the hitch receiver to the center of the exhaust if you don’t have sensors.

View attachment 227039
Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Last edited: