Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EXHAUSTed....still

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by RamthisGirl, Dec 28, 2020.

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. ramportin1

ramportin1 Sickest member here

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    It sounds like you're thinking all Y pipes are created equal and that is absolutely not the case, and any high end Y pipe made for these will not hinder anything at all instead they will help everything performance wise, unless you are some awesome big hp forced air build but thats a whole different deal.
    The factory Y pipes yes you are correct they are terrible because they are crushed Y's with way to small piping but it's to please all the regulations. Pictured is a example of my current Y pipe, made by Kooks with there high flow cats next to the factory Y and cats, you can see there is a huge difference. I have Kooks 1 3/4" long tube headers and I've played with all kinds of setups and tunes for each setup, including running the open header which sounded awesome haha but was a turd on power because way to open. Also pictured is my DEQ pipe setup that I made so I can get through emissions without having to remove the long tubes, no Y just open pipes with factory cats and dumped thats it, also a turd but not as bad as open header. Slap my Kooks Y on and bam power is amazing. As mentioned I've had custome tunes made for all these setups to see if I could get them to run better but just no comparison to having a good Y pipe. These 5.7's have no chance of sucking in more air than they can push out of a quality made Y unless they have some pretty decent sized forced air.
    Also I wanted to point out that the muffler alone isnt just what decides loudness and in cab volume as you stated, I could make a very loud exhaust setup with many different mufflers and still have it pretty darn quite in cab, changing location of exhaust exit/exits, tip size and shape, where the muffler is located, resonators, matting, piping size, header/manifolds used etc etc all play into decibel levels, tones and in cab sound levels.
    Also OP stated they live in Cali and as most people know they have pretty much the most strict emissions testing of any state so theres a lot they cant do or have to consider.
    Just sharing some quality info
    Picture 1" my DEQ pipe setup.
    #2: KOOKS Y with there HF cats vs factory.
    #3: you can really see how bad the crush is on the factory Y in this pic.
    #4: just for fun threw in a KOOKS long tube comparison vs factory manifolds lol[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

2. CorDog009

CorDog009 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I had my muffler shop get rid of the crushed section of the y-pipe and just ran true duals from just before the y and down to an x-pipe.

3. LoneWolf3574

LoneWolf3574 Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    How much did that run you? All I've got going right now is a muffler delete, I left the resonators in place.

slbenz600 - You also have to consider that RamthisGirl has a 5.9L Cummins vs a 5.7L Hemi and is in California; different rules than Utah.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 8:23 AM
  4. CorDog009

CorDog009 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I want to say it was about $100 with what all I had done. I was running a single 1-chamber Flowmaster and had them cut out that crimped section of the y-pipe and just turn it into 2 pipes, then run those into an X-pipe I brought and run the pipe down to another 1-chamber Flowmaster I brought.

Why would a Cummins need a y-pipe? They have a single downpipe.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 11:21 AM
  5. ramportin1

ramportin1 Sickest member here

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Whoops lol I assumed it was a hemi truck as well
    My apologies haha that changes some things

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

LoneWolf3574 likes this.
  6. LoneWolf3574

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    You have to ask RamthisGirl that question. I thought they were all just a single pipe into a trashcan muffler and out the back. Then again, I've never owned a diesel truck so my knowledge is very limited.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021 at 8:04 AM
    CorDog009 likes this.
  7. CorDog009

CorDog009 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I've owned one and worked on thousands. That's why it kinda got my attention.

Seems as though hers is an 02 5.9 360 engine, not the 5.9 Cummins.

LoneWolf3574 likes this.
  8. LoneWolf3574

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Huh, seems I missed that it was an 02, I got it in my head it was an 04 for some reason. Thanks for the correction CorDog009.

CorDog009 likes this.
  9. CorDog009

CorDog009 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I had to go search under her posts and found it there, it wasn't in this thread.

LoneWolf3574 likes this.