Expensive HVAC Module alternative??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The HVAC module used to upgrade a 2013 to 2017 with 7 speed from a 5" to an 8.4" has not become astronomically priced. The part number this appears to be # 68268186Ax. The cost of this module is not so expensive that it makes this ugprade unaffordable. Are there any lower cost alterntive units that will work? I bought a 2015 8.4 with nav and was supposed to get the bezel and module from the same truck. In a nutshell, I got screwed over. Now I have the 8.4 but would have to buy the bezel which is a couple hundred, the HVAC module, and conversion harness. Putting these additional costs all together on top of paying for the 8.4 just makes the whole project way too expensive. As much as I would rather have an OEM 8.4 set-up I'm thinking I need to sell the 8.4 I bought and go with one of the chinese android based units. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The HVAC module used to upgrade a 2013 to 2017 with 7 speed from a 5" to an 8.4" has not become astronomically priced. The part number this appears to be # 68268186Ax. The cost of this module is not so expensive that it makes this ugprade unaffordable. Are there any lower cost alterntive units that will work? I bought a 2015 8.4 with nav and was supposed to get the bezel and module from the same truck. In a nutshell, I got screwed over. Now I have the 8.4 but would have to buy the bezel which is a couple hundred, the HVAC module, and conversion harness. Putting these additional costs all together on top of paying for the 8.4 just makes the whole project way too expensive. As much as I would rather have an OEM 8.4 set-up I'm thinking I need to see the 8.4 I bought and go with one of the chinese android based units. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Do you already have steering wheel controls for the radio on the back of the wheel?

OP
OP

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you already have steering wheel controls for the radio on the back of the wheel?
No. I do want to get those too but I really want dash mounted controls as well. I'm not sure I would like the steering wheel controls by themselves. Also, the 8.4 screen doesn't look that great in the 5 inch bezel. Thanks

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
No. I do want to get those too but I really want dash mounted controls as well. I'm not sure I would like the steering wheel controls by themselves. Also, the 8.4 screen doesn't look that great in the 5 inch bezel. Thanks
I mention it only to say that it will allow you to step through the upgrade piece by piece. You can get great prices on things from salvage yards, but it can take time.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try car-part.com or see if any salvage yards near you have any Rams in their yard. Might be worth a try to see if it is cost prohibitive.

OP
OP

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Try car-part.com or see if any salvage yards near you have any Rams in their yard. Might be worth a try to see if it is cost prohibitive.
I actually just ordered a leather heated steering wheel with radio controls today for about $145 with shipping. It's supposed to be in excellent shape. We will see when it comes in.

OP
OP

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, I got a leather, heated steering wheel with volume controls, installed it, reinstalled the 8.4 that I had put in briefly before and everything seems to work and I now have Nav too. I do need to call SiriusXM and get my subscription switched over. I can already tell the steering wheel controls alont will not be a long term solution but it's good enough for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963