Extended gas tank for Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
So, if I understand correctly, as long as it is fed from the top of the tank by a pump its legal. is there any requirement that it be bed mounted? IE: why can't you fab, buy, repurpose a tank to mount in place of the spare and plumb it the same as this. the only difference is location. What am I missing?
The important part about the tank from Tank and Barrel is it is placarded to show it meets the applicable standards. Not sure a custom fabricated or repurposed tank would meet the specifications cited on the placard. I suppose if the fabricator were knowledgeable enough and went through the process, then a custom tank could also be placarded. Keep in mind the placard is not some Government seal of approval. It is the manufacturer asserting the tank meets the applicable requirements cited on the placard.

Metternacht

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L hemmi
Ok, would there be any reason the location is out of bounds for tank placement? Assuming everything else is the same?

cdntrucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi

Attachments

• 2022-02-24_00-54.png
    2022-02-24_00-54.png
    440.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 2022-02-24_00-56.png
    2022-02-24_00-56.png
    388.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Bill G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Auxiliary tanks are legal for non-commercial use. The rules require the fuel to be drawn from the top of the tank which requires a pump. Gravity feed is not permitted for gasoline. Here is the setup. Nothing sketchy about it. The tank is placarded for gasoline and when plumbed correctly is legal for non-commercial use except in CA where they don't trust people to do it right so they ban them.

https://www.tankandbarrel.com/recta...ngle-gasoline-auxiliary-fuel-tank-p-1232.html

All those funky spring loaded gas nozzles we have on 5 gallon cans is due to CA. Apparently folks there can't refuel their lawnmower correctly without setting themselves on fire. So the great nanny state decided to mandate nozzles that don't actually dispense fuel.
Please quote me the DOT and it FMSCA rule that says gasoline auxiliary tanks cannot be used for commercial vehicles.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Posted this in another thread but it seems relevant to both.

In 2016 I bought a 77 gallon tank/tool box combo from Transfer Flow. Certified for gasoline and is almost completely stealth unless you are looking in the bed at it. Came with electric pump, switch is wired into the cabin. I have made four trips from Virginia to Florida pulling my 38 foot camper, among numerous other trips to Tennessee and around the East Coast. I usually just pull off in a rest stop, while the wife is making a sandwich in the back, I'll pull the pump nozzle out of it's nicely tucked away spot, fill up and then we are off. If I leave with a full load in both tanks I can usually make it all the way depending on how much traffic we hit. I have been inspected twice over the years by LE and have never been given any problem. Annual Virginia State Inspection has never questioned it and they know because they often poke around the switch. I tell them outright what it is and after discovering it's not gravity fed they always move on.
What brings me here is squirrels ate through my return line causing an EVAP leak and the dealership wants $2000 to fix it. I'd still like to get a larger stock tank BUT....to the point, we all want more capacity but my Transfer Flow has been the best solution (for me) that I have found. It was a bit pricey but the ability to store a good amount of tools and equipment in the toolbox is also useful. The only drawback is that I wish I had an 8 foot bed as a result.

Toddz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Unless they have made updates, Titan only makes diesel tanks. I wish the 52 gallon was available for the gas engine.