Extended Warranty.....anyone buy from Mopar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
everyone is differnt.. I am due to retire in 6 yrs.. I want my truck to last 6 yrs then buy a new one before I retire.. truck are pricey these days.. if you got the money to spend fine. I dont have money that grows on tree.. even I have a good paying job still it wipes your butt on the cost of buying every three years. I done this for the past 21 yrs due to a job that require alot of travel time. it got to a point where truck get more pricey and my time getting short on the job..

Like ya said, lots of variables and depends on your situation and what you want. I've actually done great trading in every 2-3 years, but I trade in on lightly used instead of brand new. I've built more positive equity (what I owed vs what they were worth at trade in) in each of my last 3 trucks and haven't kept any of them 3 years. At trade in each time, I've chosen to finance the same amount (last 3 were within 1k of each other for how much I financed) and since that was the case, my payments are always right in the same ballpark. Combine that with building more positive equity each time, and I've gone from a regular cab sport just out of warranty(2011), to another regular sport with a good chunk of warranty left and less miles(2013), to a crew cab longhorn (my current 17) with also a good chunk of the full warranty left and lower miles.

Or I could have not upgraded on trim levels/miles/warranty each time and financed less each time, but I like upgrading. I also accept a payment as part of the monthly bills so I don't really care about ever keeping one long enough to pay it off. I've certainly seen plenty of people upside down on Rams and other vehicles, but it's entirely possible to do really well on them too. My first truck I had a grand to throw down as down payment and financed the rest, by the time I traded that one in I got about 7k more for the trade than I owed, and then when I traded that one in on my current ram, I got almost 13k more for it than I owed. Just made the payments for about 2 and half years and kept them as nice as possible, and it has worked out well at trade in time. Ironically now with my 17 I actually pay a little less per month on it than my payment was for my trade in.

Congrats on your upcoming retirement though, and I'm still looking for that money tree too, let me know if you find it!

Last edited:

Mandride

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For 2,800 with $100 deductible i plan on 20 years on my vehicle and likely wont be driving much after that so yes very good deal. I bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee as well Overland edition. Both with many complex parts and no worry about repairs. I can always afford $100. Trucks and jeeps maintain value and it would have to be a maaaajor repair before declined due to vehicle value not being greater than repair. That is when they cancel the warranty.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
I grabbed Maxcare 7y unlimited mileage. I’m only at 3 years 52k miles. I’ve made three claims on it so far, and I’ve practically broke even already. I’m glad I got it. Sleeping easy till July 30th 2023!

Last edited:

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am coming up on three months with the truck. So far, so good. I am chewing on buying the extended warranty. I think its about 3300 bucks or so depending on which variant I choose.

Are you folks buying them? Why or why not?
Go to the FCA service warrantee web site and you will get it for a bunch less. I paid $1250 for one that would have cost me $2800 at the dealer. Also lots of dealers actually do not like to issue the FCA warrantees as they don't make as much on them as they do other ones. Go to the web site and you will do fine.

Stacey Power

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
Another thing to consider is the oil change contract....I bought a 4 year 6 oil change contract for $355, that works out to $60 an oil change on my 2018 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Diesel.
You can't do it yourself for that price!! Bought from Mopar.

Last edited:

Rt71668

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am coming up on three months with the truck. So far, so good. I am chewing on buying the extended warranty. I think its about 3300 bucks or so depending on which variant
I’m bringing my 2017 Ram in tomorrow for a busted wheel bearing so I’ll let you know ! It’s supposed to be covered by my Max care 6year 100k plan. They did say that it would be covered as long as the dealer deems it a “manufacturers defect” so fingers crossed.

Floyd1979

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For that style of ownership I don't see the point in buying them either. I get rid of them every 2-3 years and get them almost new so obviously it would be wasted money for me. However, if I was going to buy a Ram for 5-10 years, I would have to consider them at that point. My last Ram had under 60k on it and was about to start costing me money, so off it went.
2009 Dodge Ram, crewcab Rambox hemi . 2009 came with lifetime power train warranty. Purchased Maxcare lifetime warranty 1800.00
430,200 on the clock, Original power train.
Nothing went out till around 225,000. Fuel pump and water pump

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
2009 Dodge Ram, crewcab Rambox hemi . 2009 came with lifetime power train warranty. Purchased Maxcare lifetime warranty 1800.00
430,200 on the clock, Original power train.
Nothing went out till around 225,000. Fuel pump and water pump
Have you had the cam/lifters go out yet? I would think with that many miles they might have had time to go out a couple times. You've definitely got your money's worth!

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I am coming up on three months with the truck. So far, so good. I am chewing on buying the extended warranty. I think its about 3300 bucks or so depending on which variant I choose.

Life time from Patterson dodge. ETandRE. No charge.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Life time from Patterson dodge. ETandRE. No charge.
You're talking about the FREE dealership warranty? Better make sure all your service is done there and I mean everything. Most of those free dealership warranty's are just powertrain warranty's so they don't cover anything else and you also got to hope that they don't go belly up.

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
You're talking about the FREE dealership warranty? Better make sure all your service is done there and I mean everything. Most of those free dealership warranty's are just powertrain warranty's so they don't cover anything else and you also got to hope that they don't go belly up.
You are absolutely right about everything you said. It is only DT and I will have everything done there. I keep track of what I do. Like you I have NEVER trusted a car dealership. Thanks for your thoughts.