Extended warranty blues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I have a 2018 PowerWagon, bought in Georgetown Texas new off the lot. Purchased the MasterTech extended warranty through the dealer at purchase time. Now I take it to Oviedo Dodge in La Grange, TX and they say they don't honor those 3rd party extended warranties.

The truck is throwing 2 codes: Service electronic braking system and Service ABS electronic braking system. This happens on road trips after an hour or so of running at 75mph. Error codes appear, then clear out. Probably threw the code 100 times in a 80 mile stretch. When this occurs, it disables the Cruise control.

So 2 questions, anybody know about these codes ?

Should the dodge dealer honor the 3rd party extended warranty sold by another Dodge dealer ?

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
As dealers are usually independent businesses I can't see what would require dealer to honor a third party product sold by another dealer. Mopar does require all dealers to honor their warranties.

As an aside, most third party warranty companies have a list of shops they authorize to repair vehicles under their warranty. You might call Mastertech and see who they recommend in your area.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not really sure what they mean by "won't honor" the warranty. It's not like the warranty means the dealership is supposed to fix the vehicle for free. What happens is the dealership gets reimbursed by the warranty company for the cost of the repairs.......factory warranties work the same basic way as the manufacturer pays the dealership for the work. In any case the dealership should be pre-authorized to perform the repairs prior to doing them, which guarantees the warranty company will pay. I would contact the warranty company and talk to them about it.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They sold us on that Mastercraft crap for my Charger. I got to looking at what it actually covered and it was basically nothing and a scam. I dumped it late last year and didn't have to make another payment of the car until April lol.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I'm not really sure what they mean by "won't honor" the warranty. It's not like the warranty means the dealership is supposed to fix the vehicle for free. What happens is the dealership gets reimbursed by the warranty company for the cost of the repairs.......factory warranties work the same basic way as the manufacturer pays the dealership for the work. In any case the dealership should be pre-authorized to perform the repairs prior to doing them, which guarantees the warranty company will pay. I would contact the warranty company and talk to them about it.
If a dealership isn't part of the network for the 3rd party warranty, then they don't have to even attempt to mess with it. That's why I went with the Mopar MaxxCare warranty - any Dodge/Ram dealer in the country has to honor it. It cost me more up front, but 1. I got the Lifetime just before it went away, and 2. it actually covers stuff.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

Nationwide Repairs​

Repairs may be completed at any authorized repair facility in the United States and Canada.

Toll-Free Claims​

Call our toll-free number at 800.964.4811 to find an authorized repair facility near you.

. The MasterTech™ Complete Protection Program is not available in AR, CA, KS, MD, MA, MT, NM, NY, OK, UT, or WA.

OP
OP
Charlie W

Charlie W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I got lucky and had 700 miles left on my 36k manufacturers warranty. All repairs were done for free at the dodge dealership. Supposedly new HCU module and some brake fluid. Will see what happens on the holiday road trip.

hfd376

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 2018 is doing this as well. I bought mine used, and also an aftermarket extended warranty. I carried mine in just this morning, and not surprisingly was told the truck is out of warranty. I understand that this problem is fairly common. I'll be going back Friday to let them diagnose the cause. I've read that the HCU install runs around $900.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The dealer will do the repair, however, you pay up front and get your money back from the 3rd party warranty - only way I would deal with a 3rd party warranty also if I was a dealer or any repair shop - unless one of the actual 3rd party preferred shops.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Should the dodge dealer honor the 3rd party extended warranty sold by another Dodge dealer ?
Short answer, no. I see in their FAQ it says to take vehicle to selling dealer and if not possible call them on how to proceed. I wonder if your selling dealer even accepts it?

Ray_Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Too many scams for extended warranties. I hope I go far with Mopar...

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I purchased the factory extended warranty on my last two trucks. Surprisingly I found the best price online and the local dealer matched it. Saved me 50% over the local dealer price for the same exact warranty. Ended up cheaper than a third party warranty.