Extended Warranty For The Win

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I have a fully loaded 2017 Rebel with Four Corner Air Suspension. Guess which part of that sentence this story is about?

A year ago, my Factory 3/36 was about to expire and I planned to keep the truck so I bought a Mopar 6/60 Max Care (which covers everything the Factory 3/36 covered) and paid $1700 in full at the time of purchase.

A month ago I noticed every morning I’d come out to see the front of the truck in Entry/Exit position (front tires very much stuffed into the wheel wells). Once I started the truck, the front bags filled after two minutes or so (annoying AF). Took the truck in for service (I actually LIKE my Dealer, they’ve always treated me and my vehicles right). Three weeks later (parts shortages, whatever) I picked up the truck.

Once the tech removed the compressor assembly, he replaced the valve block, feed hose, vent hoses and temp sensor. Then he refilled the system and let it sit overnight, all good. While the tech was rooting around, he noticed a small bit of oil on the Alternator and traced it to the Timing Cover. Removed cover, replaced gasket. This was an added bonus covered by the original Drivetrain warranty.

The Service Advisor believes that without the extended warranty in force, the Air Bag system repair with parts and labor would have been approximately $2600.00. For me, it was a $100.00 deductable, all in. My advisor saw immediately that the Extended Warranty was in force, and there was never a discussion as to whether any of the issues were going to be covered.

The math says that I’m ahead $800 (roughly), and the Extended Warranty is still in force through 2023 (it’ll be time, not mileage for me).

Obviously this isn’t everyone’s experience with their Dealers or Extended Warranties, YMMV.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That's exactly my experience with MaxCare warranty packages. I usually purchased the 7/70 plans.

I had to replace two REC/NAV head units (one in the SRT8 and one in the MegaCab) plus an 8.4N in the Bighorn. Cost me a total of $300 ($100 deductible per vehicle) and the retail cost of those OEM units averaged $2300! There were other claims processed under warranty on all three vehicles.

Basically those warranties paid for themselves based on what I saved.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I guess you can win both ways? I made it 7 years past the original 36 mos warranty and I didn't get extended warranty and I haven't needed it knock wood. So I guess I'm up 1700? So I win to this point, but you still can beat me, maybe you will get lucky and have engine implode and get a new one any day. Just so long as all ram forum members are winning that's all that counts?

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a fully loaded 2017 Rebel with Four Corner Air Suspension. Guess which part of that sentence this story is about?

A year ago, my Factory 3/36 was about to expire and I planned to keep the truck so I bought a Mopar 6/60 Max Care (which covers everything the Factory 3/36 covered) and paid $1700 in full at the time of purchase.
I'm glad your extended warranty worked out for you. I bought one for my truck also. But the extended mopar warranty does not cover everything the 3/36 does. You can read your contract to see, but here is some of the stuff under the "not covered" part:
• Exterior - tires; trim; name plates; appliques; body sheet metal; glass; plastic lenses; paint; bright metal; bumpers; side-view mirrors (glass/ housing); wheel covers; steel wheels; aluminum wheels; rusted or frozen rims; weather strips; rust; water leaks; restricted drain tubes; wind noises; all outer body panels; spoilers; plastic and fiberglass body parts; vinyl tops; convertible top fabric; repairs or damage caused by environmental factors such as acid rain, tree sap, salt or ocean spray;
• Interior - trim; carpet; upholstery; dash pad; door and window handles; knobs; buttons; moldings; arm rests and head liner; cargo cover; cosmetic appearance; torn/worn/soiled;
• Mechanical - manual clutch assembly; clutch disc, pressure plate, clutch release bearing and pilot bearing (manual transmission); damage to flywheel as a result of a clutch failure; repairs to snow plows, winches and trailer hitches regardless of their installation;
• Cost or expenses for teardown, rental, inspection or diagnosis of failures not covered by the Plan;

The reason I know is I had a wind noise fixed under the original warranty. They had to reseal the windshield. It came back just after my 3/36 ran out. Not covered now.

Last edited:

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Shoot it saved me on my 14 I traded in ( Even though I think it was a lemon)

lifetime Maxcare covered:
-a new 8spd transmission at 36k miles
-Manifold bolts
-electric HVAC module
-Second transmission 49k miles
-new catalytic converters
Traded the truck in lol

New ram is 2021 ram is 10 years 100k maxcare

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just don't but the warranties. Most times I win. Occasionally I lose... but so far I have saved a ton by NOT buying the warranty. That said I was lucky just recently that my head gasket failed just before the powertrain ran out. Dealer ended up replacing passenger side head and gasket for no cost to me. Also had broken exhaust bolts on the same side fixed. I still won't buy extended warranty.

Smokey613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Between the Hemi lifter/cam issues and the uConnect system, I will not own a RAM without a MaxCare warranty. But that’s just me. At soon to be 69 yoa, I don’t want any uncovered major expenses on our only means of transportation. We plan to sell this 2018 right before warranty expires and get another one with coverage. So far we have had the wiper motor replaced, soon to have the left seat track replaced and the 8.4 unit replaced. So yes, the MaxCare was a good investment for us.

TerryH

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 3500
Engine
6.7 turbo
My '11 Ram Laramie Sport with 160k and wife's '12 R/T Charger with 140k both have Max Care Unlimited. Max Care has way more than paid for itself on both. They don't sell the unlimited mileage and unlimited time warranty any more. My dealer says it's because of us. lol... We're keeping these forever.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rule18

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I just don't but the warranties. Most times I win. Occasionally I lose... but so far I have saved a ton by NOT buying the warranty. That said I was lucky just recently that my head gasket failed just before the powertrain ran out. Dealer ended up replacing passenger side head and gasket for no cost to me. Also had broken exhaust bolts on the same side fixed. I still won't buy extended warranty.
I've been lucky like that a few times myself, but I couldn't be happier that I bought one this time. Like I said, YMMV.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Air suspension definitely tilts the odds toward needing it. I wouldn't consider a vehicle equipped if I planned to own it long term, period.

OP
OP
rule18

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I'm glad your extended warranty worked out for you. I bought one for my truck also. But the extended mopar warranty does not cover everything the 3/36 does. You can read your contract to see, but here is some of the stuff under the "not covered" part:
• Exterior - tires; trim; name plates; appliques; body sheet metal; glass; plastic lenses; paint; bright metal; bumpers; side-view mirrors (glass/ housing); wheel covers; steel wheels; aluminum wheels; rusted or frozen rims; weather strips; rust; water leaks; restricted drain tubes; wind noises; all outer body panels; spoilers; plastic and fiberglass body parts; vinyl tops; convertible top fabric; repairs or damage caused by environmental factors such as acid rain, tree sap, salt or ocean spray;
• Interior - trim; carpet; upholstery; dash pad; door and window handles; knobs; buttons; moldings; arm rests and head liner; cargo cover; cosmetic appearance; torn/worn/soiled;
• Mechanical - manual clutch assembly; clutch disc, pressure plate, clutch release bearing and pilot bearing (manual transmission); damage to flywheel as a result of a clutch failure; repairs to snow plows, winches and trailer hitches regardless of their installation;
• Cost or expenses for teardown, rental, inspection or diagnosis of failures not covered by the Plan;

The reason I know is I had a wind noise fixed under the original warranty. They had to reseal the windshield. It came back just after my 3/36 ran out. Not covered now.
Yes, I'm aware of the exclusion pages at the back of the contract. I should have said, covers all the major expensive parts of my truck that I don't want to pay out of pocket to have fixed or replaced.

Quick42

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ECO Diesel
I have had the exact opposite in luck with my extended warranty on the 2015 Laramie that I currently have They refused to replace the uconnect radio due to an "un-approved modification" which is causing the problem. The modification is a set of AMP electric steps that uses the OBD port for door open signals. The creaton at the Tyler dealership determined that and that was the cause of the warranty rejection. The problem that I was having, the back up camera wasn't working. I have since purchased a replacement radio and everything operates again

OP
OP
rule18

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I have had the exact opposite in luck with my extended warranty on the 2015 Laramie that I currently have They refused to replace the uconnect radio due to an "un-approved modification" which is causing the problem. The modification is a set of AMP electric steps that uses the OBD port for door open signals. The creaton at the Tyler dealership determined that and that was the cause of the warranty rejection. The problem that I was having, the back up camera wasn't working. I have since purchased a replacement radio and everything operates again
Sorry to hear that but yeah, they get a little testy about certain mods. At least you're back in business...

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Your not done shopping yet, you need to find a new dealership too.

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It's nice to hear good news stories like that.

OP
OP
rule18

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
It's nice to hear good news stories like that.
Right, that's mainly why I posted it. Forums, by nature, are loaded with negative content because it's where people can go to help themselves solve their problems (oh, and to find a hundred ways to spend all tneir money LOL). Every once in a while there's a Win thread...

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

A month ago I noticed every morning I’d come out to see the front of the truck in Entry/Exit position (front tires very much stuffed into the wheel wells). Once I started the truck, the front bags filled after two minutes or so (annoying AF). Took the truck in for service (I actually LIKE my Dealer, they’ve always treated me and my vehicles right). Three weeks later (parts shortages, whatever) I picked up the truck.

Once the tech removed the compressor assembly, he replaced the valve block, feed hose, vent hoses and temp sensor. Then he refilled the system and let it sit overnight, all good. While the tech was rooting around, he noticed a small bit of oil on the Alternator and traced it to the Timing Cover. Removed cover, replaced gasket. This was an added bonus covered by the original Drivetrain warranty.

The Service Advisor believes that without the extended warranty in force, the Air Bag system repair with parts and labor would have been approximately $2600.00. For me, it was a $100.00 deductable, all in. My advisor saw immediately that the Extended Warranty was in force, and there was never a discussion as to whether any of the issues were going to be covered.

The math says that I’m ahead $800 (roughly), and the Extended Warranty is still in force through 2023 (it’ll be time, not mileage for me).

Obviously this isn’t everyone’s experience with their Dealers or Extended Warranties, YMMV.
What dealer do you use ?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio