Extended Warranty options/cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

o2cmefly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So my 2019 Limited is on it’s way to me. Should arrive any day now. I’ve got most of the details nailed down but one. Warranty coverage. I do want some, and am thinking of 100k/7 yr. Now that the MOPAR lifetime warranty is gone, what’s a good price on the above coverage? The price the dealer quoted was much higher than I thought it should be. What kind of number should I shoot for, or will be able to get him down to?

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
I pulled up the Ziegler website right in front of the finance guy and said beat this price or no go. They beat it by $100 bucks so I took it. Ziegler and Chrysler Warranty Direct I think is the other one. Google those and you’ll find them. No reason to pay more than that.

One other thing, don’t know if it was an honest mistake or they tried to pull one over on me but when it showed up on the Mopar site it said I had the $200 deductible instead of the $100. I called the dealership and the first guy I talked to said that the paperwork I signed showed $200. I told him that’s funny because I’m looking at my paperwork right now and it shows $100. They transferred me to the finance guy I bought from and about 2 weeks later is showed correct on the website. Just something to watch out for when you eat into their normal margins I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
o2cmefly

o2cmefly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I pulled up the Ziegler website right in front of the finance guy and said beat this price or no go. They beat it by $100 bucks so I took it. Ziegler and Chrysler Warranty Direct I think is the other one. Google those and you’ll find them. No reason to pay more than that.

One other thing, don’t know if it was an honest mistake or they tried to pull one over on me but when it showed up on the Mopar site it said I had the $200 deductible instead of the $100. I called the dealership and the first guy I talked to said that the paperwork I signed showed $200. I told him that’s funny because I’m looking at my paperwork right now and it shows $100. They transferred me to the finance guy I bought from and about 2 weeks later is showed correct on the website. Just something to watch out for when you eat into their normal margins I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! Thanks! Yeah, I’m pretty scrutinizing when it comes to details and paperwork too. Can’t be too careful.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
1)
Purchased mine from:
Rodney Melton, Cell 517-306-0079
Chrysler Warranty Direct
888-352-6103
chryslerwarrantydirect.com
C. R. Motor Sales
518 S. Meridian Rd.
Hudson, MI 49247
2)
Here are quotes for Lifetime policy on 08/09/18.
No longer available but gives an idea of pricing:
1 - $2795 Clay Robbins (https://www.robbinscdjrf.com)
2 - $3045 Chrysler Warranty Direct (https://www.chryslerwarrantydirect.com)
3 - $3110 Zeigler Auto Group (http://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/)
4 - $3331 Chrysler Warranty (https://www.chryslerwarrantys.com)
5 - $4195 MOPAR Service Plans (1-866-224-4953)
3)
Another popular vendor with good rates:
Tom Winkels, Finance Manager, HAYES JEEP
3718 Stadium Drive
Kalamazoo, MI 49008
269-488-2080

OP
OP
o2cmefly

o2cmefly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
1)
Purchased mine from:
Rodney Melton, Cell 517-306-0079
Chrysler Warranty Direct
888-352-6103
chryslerwarrantydirect.com
C. R. Motor Sales
518 S. Meridian Rd.
Hudson, MI 49247
2)
Here are quotes for Lifetime policy on 08/09/18.
No longer available but gives an idea of pricing:
1 - $2795 Clay Robbins (https://www.robbinscdjrf.com)
2 - $3045 Chrysler Warranty Direct (https://www.chryslerwarrantydirect.com)
3 - $3110 Zeigler Auto Group (http://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/)
4 - $3331 Chrysler Warranty (https://www.chryslerwarrantys.com)
5 - $4195 MOPAR Service Plans (1-866-224-4953)
3)
Another popular vendor with good rates:
Tom Winkels, Finance Manager, HAYES JEEP
3718 Stadium Drive
Kalamazoo, MI 49008
269-488-2080

Great info! Thanks so much!

tbta02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I got the lifetime max care on my 2019 in July of 2018 when I got my truck .

Steve Foulks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Extended warranties are RAM's highest profit margin item, which means they are a bad deal for you. Someone earlier said they are a wash. Nothing could be further from the truth. When RAM makes a lot of money, it is the customer's who pays that money, it doesn't fall from the sky.

I am not saying that insurance to protect you from catastrophes is a bad idea, what I am saying is that extended warranties are way overpriced. How many of you would think nothing of paying $10 a gallon for gas today? You all understand gas pricing, and realize that would be way too high. How many of you understand the economics of extended warranties? When you buy these extended warranties, you are, in essence, paying $10 a gallon for gas. If I told you that the average extended warranty costs RAM $100 and they charge $1,000 each, you would probably think their profit is excessive. Guess what guys that is what they are doing. There are going to be a few people who will tell you about how much the extended warranty saved them once, just like you will read about how rich a state lottery made some individual, but what about all of the rest who paid big bucks and got nothing in return?

One of the things to note is what they don't cover. Like all insurance they have exclusions. Many of them have conditions (like going in for a check up on a certain date) that you must comply with, which many people forget.

Most products tend to fail initially, if they are faulty, and then much later when they wear out. In between they generally perform flawlessly. Guess what period the extended warranty covers - that flawless period.

I have had many new cars and products during my lifetime and the only ones that I can think of that failed during the extended warranty period was a computer monitor.

In summary, extended warranties are a very, very bad buy overall for consumers. Instead of buying them, invest the extended warranty money yourself and self-insure. In the long run you will be much further ahead.

Steve Foulks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used to own a Honda, Nissan, Isuzu dealership so I do how much we used to make. It should be easy to negotiate the price down since there is such a large profit margin on each contract. I am sure you negotiated your truck's price. Do the same thing with the extended warranty.

darynm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With all the tech. in my new Ram 1500 Limited with 12' Uconnect and everything else and first year model of it, you darn well bet I got a warranty understanding the argument that it's another way for the company to make more money. The 2900.00 I spent for a lifetime warranty with 100 deductible is peace of mind. Further more, if you sell your vehicle before the end of term you can get a pro-rated amount back. So glad I purchased before they ended the lifetime warranty deals. I hope they bring it back...

ChaoT1C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@o2cmefly I can look at options for extended warranty. I do financing for a credit union and this is a product that we offer. Generally we beat what the dealer has to offer and we aren't limited to their dealership for coverage. Being new you should be able to find 7-8 year and about 125k mile coverage for about 1900-2200 with $0 deductible.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So in a related question. When would be a good time to get an extended warranty?

With all cars and trucks, the powertrain warranty is 3 years 36k miles. Then you have the 5 year 60k miles limited warranty after that.

What is difficult and not explained is when this stuff kicks in and when is a good time to get the warranty. You dont want to go past the 5 year 60k mile warranty, but dont want to get coverage too early in that the plan you buy overlaps what the factory warranty is. Hope that makes sense.

Former owner of a 2012 Ram 1500...and future owner of a Ram 1500

mike5809

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@o2cmefly I can look at options for extended warranty. I do financing for a credit union and this is a product that we offer. Generally we beat what the dealer has to offer and we aren't limited to their dealership for coverage. Being new you should be able to find 7-8 year and about 125k mile coverage for about 1900-2200 with $0 deductible.

I assume these are not Chrysler warranties but third-party right?

Bill B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone from Florida bought an extended warranty lately? I am in Florida and have been told you have to pay full retail for an extended warranty. My new Limited will be in soon and want to get the warranty. Funny when I bought my 2014 Limited at the end of 2013 I had no issues getting a discounted price. Any comments would be appreciated.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Do yourself a favor and run away from 3rd party warranties!!! They can be a nightmare to deal with!!!