Extended Warranty - Please Opine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
So, I have two Ram trucks. One is my 2015 2500 Megacab I bought new and purchased the Maxcare Lifetime warranty with it from a dealer I did not purchase the truck from and paid approx. $2450 or so. Totally happy with it so far.

Now I bought my son a 2017 1500 Laramie that he will be driving for the next two years in high school and through four years of college. At that point he can sell it after he gets an adult job and buy whatever he wants at that time..

Here is the deal. Truck is 2017, has 29,400 miles on it and I want there to be no issues especially with fixing trucks if there are mechanical issues for the next 6 or so years. I don't want any big repair costs since college tuition is already going to be expensive.

I know a lot of you in other warranty threads have recommended Zeigler Auto Group, a Chrysler dealer back in Michigan area, to get quotes from and they have "great' rates on the Mopar Warranties. I am looking at getting the 8 year 125K mile Maxcare warranty. Here is what they quoted me.

Zeigler seems very expensive and the guy on the phone had no desire to give discounts or anything.
8 Year 125K Miles $100 Deductible - $4145
8 Year 125K Miles $200 Deductible - $3865

Now I am looking on the Chrysler Warranty Direct website and they are showing the same plan for:

8 Year 125K Miles $100 Deductible - $3200
8 Year 125K Miles $200 Deductible - $2900

Do any of you have any other recommendations on places to purchase Factory backed warranties? Wont do 3rd party. Other threads people were talking about some discount codes they got. From where? What is your opinion? Don't want to hear from the peanut gallery about "don't buy extended warranties, they're a scam" Don't waste your time. Thanks in advance.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I have two Ram trucks. One is my 2015 2500 Megacab I bought new and purchased the Maxcare Lifetime warranty with it from a dealer I did not purchase the truck from and paid approx. $2450 or so. Totally happy with it so far.

Now I bought my son a 2017 1500 Laramie that he will be driving for the next two years in high school and through four years of college. At that point he can sell it after he gets an adult job and buy whatever he wants at that time..

Here is the deal. Truck is 2017, has 29,400 miles on it and I want there to be no issues especially with fixing trucks if there are mechanical issues for the next 6 or so years. I don't want any big repair costs since college tuition is already going to be expensive.

I know a lot of you in other warranty threads have recommended Zeigler Auto Group, a Chrysler dealer back in Michigan area, to get quotes from and they have "great' rates on the Mopar Warranties. I am looking at getting the 8 year 125K mile Maxcare warranty. Here is what they quoted me.

Zeigler seems very expensive and the guy on the phone had no desire to give discounts or anything.

Now I am looking on the Chrysler Warranty Direct website and they are showing the same plan for:

Do any of you have any other recommendations on places to purchase Factory backed warranties? Wont do 3rd party. Other threads people were talking about some discount codes they got. From where? What is your opinion? Don't want to hear from the peanut gallery about "don't buy extended warranties, they're a scam" Don't waste your time. Thanks in advance.
I believe that Zeigler code was PAYINFULL. All that being said I would jump on the Chrslerwarrantydirect quote fast since I don't believe PAYINFULL will bring the price down that much. Good luck!

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
For The price it doesn't seem worth it

Last edited:

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If those that you already got quotes from are both genuine mopar warranties and one is $1000 less than the other, $3250 is a very good deal for 8yrs/125K miles.

I have no problem with 3rd party contracts provided they're sold and/or backed by the dealership service departments you plan to use. I've used them on a few purchases over the years. Paid for some expensive repairs at zero cost (additional) cost to me.

You're a good dad. Hopefully your kids appreciate you! I couldn't do that for my 4 kids if I wanted to.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Try clay@robbinsmotors for a quote.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Those Ziegler prices can’t be right, unless they want to stop selling plans... I bought my plan in March. The 8y 125k $100 deductible was $2800. I went the 7y unlimited mileage because I’ll blow by 125k before year 7, and this plan was $2700 with a $100 deductible. I’m guessing this plan is not available anymore.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Those Ziegler prices can’t be right, unless they want to stop selling plans... I bought my plan in March. The 8y 125k $100 deductible was $2800. I went the 7y unlimited mileage because I’ll blow by 125k before year 7, and this plan was $2700 with a $100 deductible. I’m guessing this plan is not available anymore.

I think the difference is the mileage over 12,000. Be sure you also

Be sure you are getting quotes based on the same mileage from both sources. Over 12,000 miles makes a lot of difference. That's why I'll buy one before my 19 hits that mileage. The Ziegler is pretty close based on the higher mileage. If the other will sell it for that price, take it quickly.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just be aware, the the warranty will cover from inservice date, not from the time you purchased warranty. Fortunately, I was able to purchase the lifetime warranty at a reasonable cost for my 16.

OP
OP
Skrap

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Thanks for the replies. I think I mention that the Ziegler quote was originally from a service rep calling me and quoting me over the phone. I happened found a part of the Zeigler website I must have missed yesterday and the quote I got from the Zeigler site using the PAYINFULL ended up being just about the same price as the Chrysler Warranty Direct rates. The big HOWEVER is that all rates seemed to go up overnight by a couple hundred $$.

Looks like the 8 Year 125K Miles is $3445 and the Chrysler Warranty Direst is $3595.

These are getting pricey and more than I really want to spend so I may wait a week or so and see if things settle down a bit. I really want to get something for my son's truck because I have the personality that with my work, my wife's career, son will be off to college and us paying cash for his education that if his truck had a major mechanical repair needed I tend to be unpleasant and get very stressed. Not to mention, there is a 95% chance that our son will be going to college at least 1000 miles from home. So, if something happens to the truck he takes it to the dealer and they fix it under warranty. Less stress for me in the long run.

OP
OP
Skrap

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Thanks for the replies. I think I mention that the Ziegler quote was originally from a service rep calling me and quoting me over the phone. I happened found a part of the Zeigler website I must have missed yesterday and the quote I got from the Zeigler site using the PAYINFULL ended up being just about the same price as the Chrysler Warranty Direct rates. The big HOWEVER is that all rates seemed to go up overnight by a couple hundred $$.

Looks like the 8 Year 125K Miles is $3445 and the Chrysler Warranty Direst is $3595.

These are getting pricey and more than I really want to spend so I may wait a week or so and see if things settle down a bit. I really want to get something for my son's truck because I have the personality that with my work, my wife's career, son will be off to college and us paying cash for his education that if his truck had a major mechanical repair needed I tend to be unpleasant and get very stressed. Not to mention, there is a 95% chance that our son will be going to college at least 1000 miles from home. So, if something happens to the truck he takes it to the dealer and they fix it under warranty. Less stress for me in the long run.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well I noticed that you put more of an emphasis on POWERTRAIN issues so you could always go with the Added Care plus- $2465 for 8/125K through Zeigler and apparently they still sell just the Powertrain warranty too for $1765 for the same term and mileage. Personally I have the lifetime Added Care plus and it pretty much covers anything that could go wrong. If your looking to save some money these options are a lot cheaper.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Is it possible you are looking at the wrong type of vehicle ? Asking because "been there done that".

OP
OP
Skrap

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Is it possible you are looking at the wrong type of vehicle ? Asking because "been there done that".

I don't know. You say rates I was looking at I punched in the wrong vehicle, possibly? Any things possible. When I'm watching some college football tomorrow and relaxing, I drill into these sites again.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't know. You say rates I was looking at I punched in the wrong vehicle, possibly? Any things possible. When I'm watching some college football tomorrow and relaxing, I drill into these sites again.

What I meant was, are you looking at the right vehicle for your son?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn’t spend a dime paying extra for an aftermarket warranty much less when the vehicle was made in 2017 and still has factory warranty left.

You have the bumper to bumper Mopar warranty up to 36k miles and year 2020 and the extended warranty up to 2022 and 100k miles? So you’re covered for the next 3 years without paying extra. And the dude needs to learn to work in his truck anyways so I’m sure he will want to mod his truck. Who knows what the warranty will cover after that :)

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I wouldn’t spend a dime paying extra for an aftermarket warranty much less when the vehicle was made in 2017 and still has factory warranty left.

You have the bumper to bumper Mopar warranty up to 36k miles and year 2020 and the extended warranty up to 2022 and 100k miles? So you’re covered for the next 3 years without paying extra. And the dude needs to learn to work in his truck anyways so I’m sure he will want to mod his truck. Who knows what the warranty will cover after that :)

I totally agree that extended warranties are kind of a waste early on, when you're still under the 3/36 bumper/bumper coverage. Then some power train equipment is covered for 5/100. You're still left wide open for tons of potential failure items though.

Not Ram related but the bride's 2016 Nissan Quest minivan lost it's a/c early this summer. Had about 80K miles on it at the time. Turned out to be one of the pre-formed metal refrigerant lines towards the rear was leaking. It's all one component, refrig, coolant and evap core. It was a $1200 repair that was thankfully covered by the warranty I bought with the van when we got it used in 2017 (was an ex rental). Still got another $1200 to go to cover the cost of that damn warranty though! LOL.

Financially they are almost always a loosing proposition. I likely won't make up the cost of mine when it's done @ 100K miles. We're just under 90K miles currently.