Extended warranty. Worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, I know its an old thread, but reviving it here...rather than starting a new one.

I am considering an extended warranty:
1. I can't get a Mopar one, since I have Canadian Truck imported into the US (I knew factory wasn't honored but it was long gone anyway).
2. I get the cost/return thing on these warranties (I've made good on two (1 GMEPP, 2 EasyCare) ones with issues on my GMC and Buick), so with all the gadgets and such plus high repair costs they seem to do well. (Bad TQ converter on the GMC, plus a seat heater repair was more than my warranty cost).

What are some good third parties? I wasn't thrilled with EasyCare (dealer sold it to me, and it wasn't the top level plan), but I've looked a Carchex and Endurance. Any others? Experiences?

sirguynate503

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Now i'm thinking about buying the MaxCare plan.

I got an offer for 7 Year/85,000 miles for $1,400, $200 deductible.

I normally never buy warranties, its a money maker for the dealerships and its easy to roll in a few thousand into a loan.

However, this truck is different than my wife's Hyundai. We bought that thing new with the intent to drive it in the ground and it be worth nothing when we were done with it. We had two warranty claims on it that Hyundai's 10/100k standard factory warranty covered. A fuel faulty fuel gauge (digital,) and a bad wheel bearing.

The Ram is going to work a bit more, I do plan on towing as soon as we can go outside again. Mentioned it to one of my co-workers that owns three rams, two Diesel and 1 '14 Hemi. He has 120k on his hemi without any mechanical problems outside wear and tear.

Decisions, decisions.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
When I traded in my Jeeps for the truck the one with highest milage (58K over 4 years) I figured adding the 50k miles and 5 years (to get it 10/100) would be about perfect.

Within a year I hit 20k already. So at the end of 5 yrs I am expecting to have 100k, So basically I wasted the $$$ unless I curtail the driving. I haven't made very many roadtrips but because we now life out of town, I out on 50 miles jsut to get work.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My personal opinion, which works for me, is that I don't buy them. First, deductible is still out of pocket. Second, limited personal experience (with Toyota recently for my wife's van) was a pain. Third, depending on aftermarket items they have found ways to not pay two of my friend's claims in the past. Put the money in a Christmas market account with automatic withdrawals through the year and buy your truck a nice present the next October (unless you had a repair, then use money to pay credit card). Remember, it is insurance and it is priced for the company to make money. You may be the unlucky one who makes out, but odds are you will not use the full value.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
First, deductible is still out of pocket.
Second, limited personal experience (with Toyota recently for my wife's van) was a pain.
Third, depending on aftermarket items they have found ways to not pay two of my friend's claims in the past.

I would never ever go with a third-party extended service contract. On both my RAMs I did go with the Mopar MaxCare. The MaxCare is missing one thing, the fine print. I am cash ahead with both RAMs, vehicle repairs have exceeded what the cost of the MaxCare plan cost me.

You can get $0 deductible plans, my 2013 is $0 deductible and my 2015 is $100 deductible, the deductible is per service item and not per service visit.

It isn't reasonable to compare MaxCare to a Toyota plan which was third party.

If the modification were directly responsible for the failure, I wouldn't expect a plan to cover the cost.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, I know its an old thread, but reviving it here...rather than starting a new one.

I am considering an extended warranty:
1. I can't get a Mopar one, since I have Canadian Truck imported into the US (I knew factory wasn't honored but it was long gone anyway).
2. I get the cost/return thing on these warranties (I've made good on two (1 GMEPP, 2 EasyCare) ones with issues on my GMC and Buick), so with all the gadgets and such plus high repair costs they seem to do well. (Bad TQ converter on the GMC, plus a seat heater repair was more than my warranty cost).

What are some good third parties? I wasn't thrilled with EasyCare (dealer sold it to me, and it wasn't the top level plan), but I've looked a Carchex and Endurance. Any others? Experiences?
Check with your bank or CU. When I bought my wife's Explorer my credit union said they would be happy to sell me an extended warranty but I declined. This might be an option for you too. How many miles on your truck? If it's close to 100K or higher your options are probably going to be limited.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I would never ever go with a third-party extended service contract. On both my RAMs I did go with the Mopar MaxCare. The MaxCare is missing one thing, the fine print. I am cash ahead with both RAMs, vehicle repairs have exceeded what the cost of the MaxCare plan cost me.

You can get $0 deductible plans, my 2013 is $0 deductible and my 2015 is $100 deductible, the deductible is per service item and not per service visit.

It isn't reasonable to compare MaxCare to a Toyota plan which was third party.

If the modification were directly responsible for the failure, I wouldn't expect a plan to cover the cost.
Sorry you have so many repairs. it isn't reasonable to compare any two warranty plans unless exactly identical and for the same vehicle on written by the same company. As I stated it was just in my opinion plus my experiences. However, I stand by my statement that it is just like insurance and the whole point of them selling the warranties is to make money. So some people like you come out ahead for other people who never use them they come out behind. And again, it is always the fine print that you have to pay attention to, some modifications are covered others aren't. Again got to read your contract and pick the one that covers your particular vehicle if you're going to go that route.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Sorry you have so many repairs.

The 2013 has had one repair, replaced the BCM which requires programming, and three door latches. The truck had the popular no door lock issue.

The 2015, one repair. The rear air leveling system went out. Had to replace the ASCM, height adjustment compressor, and left rear sensor. The repairs required recharging the nitrogen reserve.

Have you priced repair parts, service labor costs, and diagnostic charges lately?

It goes without saying, they do not sell extended service contracts to lose money. Like any insurance, the majority pays for the minority.

If you would like to see how the MaxCare service contract reads, I'd be happy to email you a copy. You will not find any fine or small print. Everything is covered except wear items and soft trim.