Exterior Door Handles stopped working suddenly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeaves726

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I went outside to get in the truck this morning and the driver side exterior door handle wouldn't open the door. I figured something had come undone and was planning to pull the door panel to reconnect it, but I'm not sure that's it. The rear driver side door worked just fine so I crawled in the backseat and opened the door without any issue from the inside. The next time I went out to the I decided to crawl in from the passenger side rather than crawl from the backseat and the front passenger side exterior door handle wouldn't work either. So, here's a breakdown:

Front Driver Side Door: Exterior handle doesn't work, interior does.
Front Pass Side Door: Exterior handle doesn't work, interior does.
Rear Driver Side Door: Both exterior and interior handles work.
Rear Pass Side Door: Both exterior and interior handles work.
All four doors lock and unlock fine with no issues.

I find it odd that BOTH front exterior handles stopped working at the same time and feel it may be something more electronic rather than a bad part on both doors. Just thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions on possible causes/fixes. It was freezing overnight, but the doors are not frozen shut.

Thanks for any help!!!

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Is yours passive entry?

OP
OP
J

jeaves726

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Negative. I have to press a button on the remote to enter.

OP
OP
J

jeaves726

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
They just started working again. No idea.....

Lee Pedrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
They just started working again. No idea.....
Did you have freezing rain or rain then rapid freeze? Even if you did, that should not happen. You talking about the 2013? Sounds like pull the panels and lithium the mechanics. Some trucks you can set the locks to open just the drivers door, then a second click will open the rest of the doors. Thats in case the living dead are trying to get in your passenger door. Just sayin.

lawdenk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I had a similar thing happen. The outside drivers door would not open. I thought it was frozen (about 20 degrees) but the inside handle worked. About an hour later it started working again. The only thing I can think of is that something on the inside may have been frozen which did not allow the handle to work.