Exterior Trim Detailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
What is everyone using for the exterior Black trim that does not run after rain? I've tried 303, love it on the interior, not so much on the exterior. I've also tried Griot's Black Shine Trim & Tire Coating, again 1st rain it leaves streaks. I was looking at trying Meguire's Hyper Dressing. Thoughts, suggestions?

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use both of these products. They are both sealers that are for use on paint and trim work. They both last around 6 months long; a little less during a harsh winter.

https://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-seal.html

https://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-reload-spray.html

They both darken the black trim so it looks refreshed. The Opti-Seal is wipe on and it flashes off. You only have to buff off if you apply to much.

The Reload you apply then wipe off while it's wet.

Both are outstanding products from two of my favourite companies.

OP
OP
WTM75

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I use both of these products. They are both sealers that are for use on paint and trim work. They both last around 6 months long; a little less during a harsh winter.

https://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-seal.html

https://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-reload-spray.html

They both darken the black trim so it looks refreshed. The Opti-Seal is wipe on and it flashes off. You only have to buff off if you apply to much.

The Reload you apply then wipe off while it's wet.

Both are outstanding products from two of my favourite companies.

I actually have some Reload, from when I put ceramic coating on my running boards. Didn’t know I could use for the black trim also. I’ll try that next.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually have some Reload, from when I put ceramic coating on my running boards. Didn’t know I could use for the black trim also. I’ll try that next.

I specifically use the Reload on the rear bumper black treads after the winter. I spray it on then use a soft brush to work it into the groves then buff it off with a thick drying towel like the "Dry Me Crazy" microfibres.

Also my antenna base still looks brand new and not all dried out and hazy like a lot of them end up looking like.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used Meguiars trim detailer. It is tedious but it worked on my tow mirrors.

CarParts.com

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I can say I've used the Adams trim coatings and they are excellent and easy to use.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
What is everyone using for the exterior Black trim that does not run after rain? I've tried 303, love it on the interior, not so much on the exterior. I've also tried Griot's Black Shine Trim & Tire Coating, again 1st rain it leaves streaks. I was looking at trying Meguire's Hyper Dressing. Thoughts, suggestions?

Gtechniq C4

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wipenew. Apply it when you know it won't rain for 24hrs and that **** lasts for a good long while, even through car washes. Brought my front and rear bumper step pads back to life.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I use Adams vrt. At one point I will clean them up and ceramic coat them but in the mean time vrt works great....also good for tires

Pana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wolf's Nano Trim Coat along with the glass sealant. Good luck getting your hands on it tho :)

Last edited:

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone tried to paint the black plastic pieces? I bought mirror covers that do not cover the entire mirror and door handle covers that still show a bit of the plastic trim. I was thinking about painting the remaining pieces such as the windshield trim with some paint like POR 15 Top Coat but wanted to see what others had to say. I want something that is going to last and not fade or need to be reapplied.

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ive had good luck with chemical guys VRP. Also use it on my tonneau cover, doesn't run when it rains and if it does its not noticeable.