F-150 to Ram 1500, Looking for Thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tad Marko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L Magnum
I am currently in a 2017 F-150 that I leased "under duress" after my 2013 diesel Ram 2500 was destroyed in a hail storm. I miss the big truck, but don't necessarily need one, and I've come to like this "little" truck, especially the Ecoboost's altitude negating turbo charger. Colorado with my travel trailer was a breeze. Unfortunately, this truck has the cold start rattle. It was fixed back in October, but the problem is starting to return and Ford has yet to issue a final TSB on the matter. As a result, I don't think I will be keeping it past the end of the lease in April.

I'd prefer to go back to a 2500 diesel, but since I don't quite need that my truck, my current favorite replacement is the Ram 1500 with the EcoDiesel because I miss having a diesel and like turbo engines.

I'm looking for some thoughts and info on the following:
  • Does anyone know the max cargo on a 6.4' crew cab with the EcoDiesel? I haven't been able to find the 2020 towing guide yet.
  • Air suspension or conventional suspension for a truck I'm going to keep for a decade? Which has the higher cargo capacity?
  • What rear axle is under these trucks? I'm hoping it's as good as the Ford 9.75.
  • Any other thoughts on a truck that is used as a daily driver as well as a camper hauler?
Thanks!

Mchurch52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I just purchased a 2020 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel Crew Cab and the payload is 1135 lbs with a 9535 lb towing capacity with 3.92 rear end. GVWR on the truck is 7200 lbs. So far I'm really enjoying the Ecodiesel and think it'd be great as a tow vehicle, but the lower payload does limit how big a TT I could pull. A lower trim level should have a higher payload. As I recall the 2020 Ecodiesel Tradesman Quad Cab that TFL Truck tested had a payload of over 2000 lbs.

I don't believe the air suspension will do anything to increase payload on the yellow sticker, it is there mainly to keep the truck level and adjust ride height/stiffness. My truck has Ramboxes and the Offroad Package, all things that add extra metal to the truck and take away from payload capacity.

The EcoDiesel is proving to be a great daily driver so far, averaging 24 MPG in a mix of around town and highway driving.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tad Marko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L Magnum
I just purchased a 2020 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel Crew Cab and the payload is 1135 lbs with a 9535 lb towing capacity with 3.92 rear end. GVWR on the truck is 6900 lbs.

Yikes! 1,135 is crazy low. I've got 1,720 right now and it's tight.

It seems to me it's somewhat irresponsible for a truck to not be able to cargo at least 18% of its towing capacity.

Some of the decisions made by the people who makes these trucks mystify me. Ram told TFLtruck that they didn't put an exhaust brake on the EcoDiesel because "they didn't think that this class of truck needs it". How about asking their customers? I live in Texas and want an exhaust brake.

Mchurch52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Yikes! 1,135 is crazy low. I've got 1,720 right now and it's tight.

It seems to me it's somewhat irresponsible for a truck to not be able to cargo at least 18% of its towing capacity.

Some of the decisions made by the people who makes these trucks mystify me. Ram told TFLtruck that they didn't put an exhaust brake on the EcoDiesel because "they didn't think that this class of truck needs it". How about asking their customers? I live in Texas and want an exhaust brake.

Yeah, I traded in a 2017 F150 XLT 5.0 on this truck and it's payload was 1740. No doubt the aluminum body panels in the F150 give it a weight advantage. That being said, if you were to look at a Bighorn or Lonestar without all of the skid plates that come with the Offroad/Protection group and skip the Ramboxes, the payload should be more on par with your F150. I wasn't real crazy about the payload on my truck, but since we don't own a TT right now I wasn't too concerned about it. If we do buy another it will be a smaller couples trailer, so this truck should be able to handle the tongue weight fine.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am currently in a 2017 F-150 that I leased "under duress" after my 2013 diesel Ram 2500 was destroyed in a hail storm. I miss the big truck, but don't necessarily need one, and I've come to like this "little" truck, especially the Ecoboost's altitude negating turbo charger. Colorado with my travel trailer was a breeze. Unfortunately, this truck has the cold start rattle. It was fixed back in October, but the problem is starting to return and Ford has yet to issue a final TSB on the matter. As a result, I don't think I will be keeping it past the end of the lease in April.

I'd prefer to go back to a 2500 diesel, but since I don't quite need that my truck, my current favorite replacement is the Ram 1500 with the EcoDiesel because I miss having a diesel and like turbo engines.

I'm looking for some thoughts and info on the following:
  • Does anyone know the max cargo on a 6.4' crew cab with the EcoDiesel? I haven't been able to find the 2020 towing guide yet.
  • Air suspension or conventional suspension for a truck I'm going to keep for a decade? Which has the higher cargo capacity?
  • What rear axle is under these trucks? I'm hoping it's as good as the Ford 9.75.
  • Any other thoughts on a truck that is used as a daily driver as well as a camper hauler?
Thanks!

I know you didn’t ask, But have you looked at a the 6.4 with the 8 speed in the HD Class?. You may be pleasantly surprised.

OP
OP
T

Tad Marko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L Magnum
I know you didn’t ask, But have you looked at a the 6.4 with the 8 speed in the HD Class?. You may be pleasantly surprised.

I have. It's on the short list. I just know that if I do that, it's a 14-15 mpg truck always. A very capable one indeed, though.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All has to do with Driving habits/ Environment. The lie o meter on my 18 1500 tells me I’m getting the same as the lie o meter on my previous 6.4 2500.

OP
OP
T

Tad Marko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L Magnum
All has to do with Driving habits/ Environment. The lie o meter on my 18 1500 tells me I’m getting the same as the lie o meter on my previous 6.4 2500.
And what does it tell you?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45