F250 manual hubs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So I'm in the market for a used 3/4 ton pickup to have around the farm. Seen some Ford F250 trucks on-line that are promising but noticed they have manual front hubs. What are your thoughts on manual hubs in today's world? Prefer the convenience of auto hubs but would be willing to live with manual hubs based on how hard it is to find a truck that meets my needs and isn't out-landishly priced. The truck will be driven on the highway also; not just off-road.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wish my PW had manual hubs. I have had plenty of fords with manual hubs and never had an issue. I would turn them in in the winter and just leave them. My buddy just bought a new F250 and it has manual hubs but they do not need to be turned in to shift into 4wd on the highway.

Jdemp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you are referring to the newer ford F250s 1999 and up they are not manual hubs as you are use too. I believe this is the same all the way back to the first “super duty” (my buddies 01 has them).

They are two positions auto and lock.

The auto would function just as the dodge/ram would.

The lock is just that locked.

I have an 18 250…works fine in auto just like my dodge and I run it in 4wd quite a bit as my WV place is 4x4 access only. I’ve never moved them..

Last edited:

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I had a 1994 F250 with lockout hubs and the 4WD quit the first time I used it. They had used plastic gears in the hubs and they had sheared off. Replaced them with MileMarker hubs that fixed that issue but heard there were big issues with the plastic gears. Not sure who would ever think that would be a good idea.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
If you are referring to the newer ford F250s 1999 and up they are not manual hubs as you are use too. I believe this is the same all the way back to the first “super duty” (my buddies 01 has them).

They are two positions auto and lock.

The auto would function just as the dodge/ram would.

The lock is just that locked.

Same way the old Lock-o-matic/Scout-o-matic hubs worked on IHC Scouts. Best of both worlds, you can shift on the fly without having to get out of the truck, but can lock in full time before getting into trouble if you need to do that.