Factory air suspension acting up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This morning it was 28 degrees outside with a stiff wind in our area. Remote started the truck to warm it up. Noticed it was sitting a bit low when I came outside, especiall on the left front driver's side. Pushed the start button, heard/felt the air suspension system try to engage, at which point the front left and right went down to the bump stops. Tried letting it run for a few minutes. Cycled the engine off/on, didn't help. Drove it in the development for a bit, cycled again, still nothing - doesn't even feel like the system is trying to do anything now - wondering of the fuse blew? Had to get to work which fortunately is only 5-10 minutes away. Tried cycling the engine again when I got to work, still nothing. Called my local dealer, told them it's not really safe to drive in this condition from what I understand, yet the best they could do is to get me in next Wednesday, December 11. Color me unhappy at present. Driving a 2018 vehicle with 13k miles on the odo and having serious problems with the air suspension already, and the dealer has no loaner program either, and I have to wait a week? This is my only vehicle as a daily driver. Ramcares, can you help here?

Do you have any warranty left on your vehicle?

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have any warranty left on your vehicle?

Yes, it's a 2018 RAM 1500 Limited with 13k miles on it. Plenty of warranty left. :) I looked into the fuse issue and it turns out F5 - the big 40 AMP fuse, was blown. I stopped by the local Auto Zone to pick one up and replaced it right in the parking lot. The front air suspension came right up after doing so. Most likely just a temporary fix though, so I will keep my appt for next week just in case.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, it's a 2018 RAM 1500 Limited with 13k miles on it. Plenty of warranty left. :) I looked into the fuse issue and it turns out F5 - the big 40 AMP fuse, was blown. I stopped by the local Auto Zone to pick one up and replaced it right in the parking lot. The front air suspension came right up after doing so. Most likely just a temporary fix though, so I will keep my appt for next week just in case.

I wish mine was that simple, Can you keep us in the loop as to what the dealer tells you? I'm expecting a call on my truck soon. 10 days today since they ordered a reservoir, it was on back order. Seems suspicious when a part that's needed is back ordered. Must be lots needed through out USA and Canada.

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish mine was that simple, Can you keep us in the loop as to what the dealer tells you? I'm expecting a call on my truck soon. 10 days today since they ordered a reservoir, it was on back order. Seems suspicious when a part that's needed is back ordered. Must be lots needed through out USA and Canada.

Will definitely keep you all in the loop. Was even colder here overnight so still receiving the “immediate attention” alert for the air suspension as of this morning but I’m not on the bump stops yet so hopefully I can last until the middle of next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had two straight days in the teens and lower 20s and so far the suspension has held fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had two straight days in the teens and lower 20s and so far the suspension has held fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Sounds like you have a good truck and are good to go. There are many more trouble free Air suspension trucks out there. We just don't hear about them.

Brett Knudson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It was -26 below Sunday morning up in northern Minnesota. My truck was in the lowered position in the morning and suspension would not work. Made it down the road about 20 miles, couldn't stand the bouncing around, so I pulled into a convenience store to look things over. I removed the 40A fuse and inspected. Air suspension fuse was ok. Started up the truck and the system started working again. My theory now is the system is always on, I can hear it sometimes leveling with the key off. Guessing it went into fault overnight. The truck was fully warmed up and it was still -14 so is it possible that it reset or did I just get lucky?

BTW, the truck was in service for the same issue last year. They had it for 3-days and never found a problem. Next time it happens, I'll try removing and inserting the fuse. I'll let you know if it works. I might have a chance again Tuesday and Wednesday night. I park outside and the overnight low will be -26 and -31 here.

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It was -26 below Sunday morning up in northern Minnesota. My truck was in the lowered position in the morning and suspension would not work. Made it down the road about 20 miles, couldn't stand the bouncing around, so I pulled into a convenience store to look things over. I removed the 40A fuse and inspected. Air suspension fuse was ok. Started up the truck and the system started working again. My theory now is the system is always on, I can hear it sometimes leveling with the key off. Guessing it went into fault overnight. The truck was fully warmed up and it was still -14 so is it possible that it reset or did I just get lucky?

BTW, the truck was in service for the same issue last year. They had it for 3-days and never found a problem. Next time it happens, I'll try removing and inserting the fuse. I'll let you know if it works. I might have a chance again Tuesday and Wednesday night. I park outside and the overnight low will be -26 and -31 here.

Did you receive the EVIC notification to have the air suspension serviced immediately? This is what happens with mine on cold mornings. If I let it warm up for several minutes and then cycle the engine the air suspension will usually come online at that point unless the fuse is blown (which has happened twice now).

Brett Knudson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I did get the notification. I didn't restart the truck. I'll try that next time. Maybe it wasn't that I pulled the fuse and re-inserted it. Maybe it was me restarting. Thanks for the tip!

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did get the notification. I didn't restart the truck. I'll try that next time. Maybe it wasn't that I pulled the fuse and re-inserted it. Maybe it was me restarting. Thanks for the tip!

Yep IME the fuse doesn’t have to be reset, but once the truck registers the EVIC notification that the air suspension is not functioning during initial startup sequence, it will not try to reinitiate air suspension startup until you cycle the engine.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mines done that on a sub 20° morning here and there. I just can't wait until it goes to crap so I can just lift the truck for cheaper.

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And it starts.

My 2017 sat for 24 plus hours after trailer 400 plus miles. After unpacking the trailer I put the truck in “entry/exit mode, lowered it from the trailer, then put it in “off road” mode, backed it up over the trailer tongue right up to the crank for lifting the front of the trailer. Again it sat for about 24 hours this way.

Last night about 6pm wife and I get in the truck to go to dinner and spend some more money. Start the truck and start to pull away and hear a horrible scraping noise, truck slightly lurched. Looked in my rear view and the trailer moved a little, I’m thinking “WTF.” Look at my dash and my truck has dropped down to “entry/exit” mode.

Now before someone ask, I am sure I left it in “off road” mode because I have a bar and shield hitch cover on my truck and if it isn’t in “off road” when I back my truck over the trailer tongue the hitch cover will strike the tongue.

Tuesday into Wednesday night it was in the 20’s at our house, high yesterday was 46 degrees. 42 when we were leaving for dinner.