factory air suspension lift options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbrock34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Adjustable links able to raise the truck up to 2"

Adjustable Air Ride
Yep. That's what I made with $67 worth of parts ordered on Walmart.com. I can say that now with the Jeep in OR1 on the road, which is actually OR2 height, it rides like a brick. The airbags are fully extended. I wouldn't go higher than an inch or so with this method. I'm not sure if the Ram has more travel than the Jeep though.

Runis

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Question....why would someone want the air ride combo from the factory when they know they will lift it later? I'm just scratching my head on that reasoning. Your essentially dumping that option on your truck that you paid for.

Also isn't than computerized so I would think a compute flash is in order?

Angel

"worrying about MPG in a truck is like looking at a Prius tow rating"

Any update on a lift kit for 2014s with air suspension?

My opinion on your question: when buying new you have all the flexibility to choose exactly what you want. In the used market you have to make compromises and like me did not consider how big of a challenge the air suspension would be.

mjpep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep. That's what I made with $67 worth of parts ordered on Walmart.com. I can say that now with the Jeep in OR1 on the road, which is actually OR2 height, it rides like a brick. The airbags are fully extended. I wouldn't go higher than an inch or so with this method. I'm not sure if the Ram has more travel than the Jeep though.

dbrock34, I've been looking around for parts to rebuild the sensor link arms. The threaded rod and turnbuckles are common but the ball socket at each end is harder to find. Would you mind explaining how you did it, or show a picture of your setup?

Thanks!
MJP

dbrock34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
dbrock34, I've been looking around for parts to rebuild the sensor link arms. The threaded rod and turnbuckles are common but the ball socket at each end is harder to find. Would you mind explaining how you did it, or show a picture of your setup?

Thanks!
MJP
I ordered everything from Walmart.com and it arrived in a couple of days. Here is the elbow that is needed---BANSBACH EASYLIFT 96111 8mm Ball Socket 22mm M5 Thread Elbow. I bought 8 of these and one 3 foot section of the threaded rod and that is all that is needed. I wish I would have taken pictures but I didn't. I was too anxious to get them on once I realized how easy it was. The stock links popped right off with my hand, no tools needed. You want to make sure your suspension is in 'jack mode', otherwise the vehicle will lower all the way down to the tires as soon as you remove a stock link(I didn't do this on my second attempt to fine tune the height and ended up having to jack the jeep up to get the link back on). I basically made some measurements of the elbows/ball sockets and cut the rod long enough to thread into each ball socket. To raise the the rear about an inch, I made the rear link about a quarter to half inch longer and the front you have to make about a quarter to half inch shorter to raise it(on the Jeep anyway. I assume the Ram is the same). I used a tiny cutoff blade on my dremel to make the cuts. There's a much better write up on the JeepGarage Forum that I used. The hardest part is cutting the rod the correct length to get the correct amount of lift and making sure the ball sockets are facing the right direction when threaded on. You'll see what I mean when you look at the stock links. The rod is pretty thin though and only took about a minute per cut with my little dremel. I attempted to attach a photo taken from the Jeep forum so I hope it works.

lift%20links%20compare%201.jpg

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Whenever I find some time I'll be finishing this up for my truck.

I'll try and remember to take measurements to post on here. If you've got a 2016 remember that one of the ball sockets needs to be a 10 mm, and the other is an 8mm.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

AzRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I was lazy and just bought the links. I ended up only using the fronts to level it out. They worked as expected and I still have OR1 and OR2 settings available. I raised the front 2" with the links.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I was lazy and just bought the links. I ended up only using the fronts to level it out. They worked as expected and I still have OR1 and OR2 settings available. I raised the front 2" with the links.
Pics?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Has anybody heard of a mopar lift for the air suspension rams at all. I've been considering the BDS kit, but with all the potential problems I bought extended warranty only because of the suspension. If the dealer installs it they'll usually continue warranty work on it. I'm fine spending the $ on a premium kit, but don't want to continue spending a bunch to repair the air suspension if it's problematic.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No mopar lift. BDS is the only option.

I have seen a video of a rebel that did the lift links then put daystar spacers on top so do air bags weren't over extending. Said it rode like stock and got a 2" lift all around

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
No mopar lift. BDS is the only option.

I have seen a video of a rebel that did the lift links then put daystar spacers on top so do air bags weren't over extending. Said it rode like stock and got a 2" lift all around
thanks for the update. I did see the Rebel that did the spacers, but I'm not going to pull them out if I have to take the truck in for dealer service. Out of warranty I'd probably try it. I have the lift links, but I took them out because the truck rode too rough and gave me problems switching modes. Maybe mopar will eventually get the BDS kit or something similar in the future, but with gen5 coming out I'm not holding my breath. Stock height still fits my 34's fine and I can go into OR2 and gain 2" when I need a little extra clearance as long as I drive slow. I guess it stays the height it is for now.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I'm going to wait until my bumper to bumper warranty is up, then I'll put this spacer lift and 35s on with a tuner. If I wouldn't lose the tow hooks I'd put a body lift on too.

I may even do a body lift if I can make my own front bumper in the future. Same prerunner style as the Rebel, just without factory tow hooks.

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I have. 2014 Limited with the air ride and I have a 3” body lift with the air links to level it out. I have the links adjusted to the max lift possible that still retains my OR1 and OR2 functionality. I’m guessing the links are likely giving me 1.5” in the front, definitely no more than 2”.

I never considered that the links could over extend the air bags. I assumed there was a max extension bump stop somewhere that the links could not override. Can you clarify this?

My ride is fine, I haven’t noticed it being any rougher than without the links. Why would the links cause a rough ride, other than potentially causing some slight camber change.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The ride is rougher because as the bags get closer to max inflation, they become more stiff. With a stock truck, going from normal up to off road level is noticeably more stiff. Putting links on make the truck think it's in normal, but it's actually higher. This should cause a rough ride as well.

The air bags have some sort of max level I'm sure, they won't just explode lol.

Vikto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would like to put 1 or 2” lift on my 1500 2014 with factory air suspension while still having the factory air suspension on.

The idea is then that I would be able to lift it with air to 2”+ 1 or 2” when needed.

Is there any kits for this, is it a bad idea ?

I guess 2” spacer is to much to use with factory lift, any thoughts? What is the maximum I can raise on the cheap.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Pretty sure that's what the guys on the rebel forum have been using. Keep in mind when you go to OR2 you lose almost an inch of rake so if you level in normal it would ride nose high in or2. Also, I believe you have to crack open the system to install the spacers so it would need a properly done air purge with nitrogen or you'll have nothing but issues afterwards with moisture. The daystars are listed as not for air suspension, but guys have still used them and say it's worked fine. This route the bags will still operate in the factory range running stock pressures vs more bag pressure to lift the truck. The more you use the bags for extra lift the rougher the ride. I suspect you could also get a rear spacer if you wanted to go 2" front and 1"rear. Keep in mind daystar specifically says not for air ride so all is at your own risk.

Vikto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did make it perfectly level in offroad 2, the width of the front wheel well makes it look higher than in the front, so I prefer slightly lower front to make it look level instead off my measurement.

But the ride comfort took a bit hit and 6 weeks later my air suspension started to have problems. It got stuck in the offroad 2 and with the extra lift that now feels like driving a boat, tried deflating manually (nitrogen already leaked out). This was a bad idea, I cut the **** and put a regular air pressure/compressor fitting on the bags. It made the car have at least a little suspension until I can springs to install.

Conclusion, don't f*ck with the air suspension. If you do, only lift like 1" in the front.