Factory bead lock wheels.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LaramieAdam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Limited
Engine
Are the bead lock wheels on these trucks true bead lock? I have a 21 75th anniversary and the tire shop put on my new tires with the bead rings attached and now a ring is damaged and I could be looking at 5 months waiting for a new ring.

If they are true bead then the rings should have been removed. I'm worried if I should even take a 3/4 ton truck on the highway now .

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

wobly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The rims on the 75A are "Bead Lock Capable". The rings that are mounted on the rims are mainly decorative, from my understanding. There should be actual rings available to use them as actual bead locks wheels.

With that being said, when I took my truck to have the new tires put on, I told the shop that I would remove the bolts and rings, have them mount the tires, I would install the rings and then have them balance the entire assembly. They agreed and we knocked it all out very quickly. My take on the rings is that they are pretty dang stout for decorative pieces and I suspect that they actually could be used as a real bead lock ring. I could be wrong on that. If you are going to remove the rings, you will need a T-45 Torx bit to do it.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As a quick note, it's basically impossible to mount and unmount tires on a true beadlock wheel without removing the ring first. The entire purpose of a beadlock is to keep the tire from coming unbeaded as the ring clamps the outer bead to the wheel. If the tire shop put new tires on without removing the rings that is a 100% indicator it's not a true beadlock.

wobly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
As a quick note, it's basically impossible to mount and unmount tires on a true beadlock wheel without removing the ring first. The entire purpose of a beadlock is to keep the tire from coming unbeaded as the ring clamps the outer bead to the wheel. If the tire shop put new tires on without removing the rings that is a 100% indicator it's not a true beadlock.
I agree with this statement, IF the beadlock ring is holding the tire bead. But, I think of these rims as more of a hybrid. They have the standard tire lips to mount tires like they are usually mounted and DOT compliant. They also have the capability to run as a beadlock rim, but most will not do that. If someone is going to air down one of these trucks to 5-10 psi, then, yes, I think they would be a great candidate to run the beadlocks vs standard installation.

In my case, I didn't want to have the tire shop (Discount Tire) have the opportunity to mess up the rings, so I removed them before they did the work.

squid013

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 power wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
Do we know what the offset of the factory beadlock is?