Factory brake controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oceanviewer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put an aftermarket one in but dealership charged $100 to flash computer to get it to work. It plugged into factory wiring. Worked in my 2015 also. My dash light will not go off an dealer said live with it or buy one from them. Anyone have this problem.
Hi, I have the same vehicle as you and also the aftermarket controller. Can you tell me where you found the port for the plug and play? How many panels did you have to take off?

pojv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
After a two month wait the dealer finally got in the brake controller and installed it. Now I can see how this new truck tows my 4K trailer as compared to my 05 Dakota.

hireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
After a two month wait the dealer finally got in the brake controller and installed it. Now I can see how this new truck tows my 4K trailer as compared to my 05 Dakota.
Do you have a pic of it installed? If you dont mind me asking what was the installed price?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

pojv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I will try to get a pic later today. If you are not looking for it your will never notice. Much nice that the after market I had on the Dakota.
The price was negotiated in the deal as the dealer new I told a trailer.
Phil

Ram19 Owner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hope this isn’t to silly of a question. New to the truck world with my 2019 Laramie and have the brake controller without tow package. Like most didn’t want those gaudy mirrors but the power fold instead. What exactly does the brake controller do and how is it used? I’ve seen where you can also make trailer profiles in the settings. When using the profiles, do you have to adjust the controller every time or does it remember that as well?

hksvr4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hope this isn’t to silly of a question. New to the truck world with my 2019 Laramie and have the brake controller without tow package. Like most didn’t want those gaudy mirrors but the power fold instead. What exactly does the brake controller do and how is it used? I’ve seen where you can also make trailer profiles in the settings. When using the profiles, do you have to adjust the controller every time or does it remember that as well?

The trailer brake controller is used for the brakes on the trailer your towing. It sends, I believe, electrical signals to the trailer. By adjusting the +/- it send the amount of pressure to be applied to them. When you press the brake pedal in the truck, it send the signal to the trailer brakes. The harder you press the harder the trailer brakes are applied. The trailer brakes and the truck brakes should grab at the same time.

By squeezing the trailer brake controller, it applies the amount of pressure you sent to it. The higher the number the harder it stops. Different size trailers will have different weights.

Go about 15mph then squeeze the trailer brake controller. The brakes on the trailer should stop the truck without the truck brakes. Then your set. I assume that it would remember the trailer you’re towing buy setting the profile. I only have a 1 profile for a travel trailer.

Ram19 Owner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
The trailer brake controller is used for the brakes on the trailer your towing. It sends, I believe, electrical signals to the trailer. By adjusting the +/- it send the amount of pressure to be applied to them. When you press the brake pedal in the truck, it send the signal to the trailer brakes. The harder you press the harder the trailer brakes are applied. The trailer brakes and the truck brakes should grab at the same time.

By squeezing the trailer brake controller, it applies the amount of pressure you sent to it. The higher the number the harder it stops. Different size trailers will have different weights.

Go about 15mph then squeeze the trailer brake controller. The brakes on the trailer should stop the truck without the truck brakes. Then your set. I assume that it would remember the trailer you’re towing buy setting the profile. I only have a 1 profile for a travel trailer.

Thanks so much for the answer. That really helps explain it in laymen’s terms to me. :favorites37:

smitty2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
the dealer told me the controller was back ordered and it won't be available until some time in june. anyone know of a way to get it sooner. I would like to rent a travel trailer , but they won't rent it to me without the controler

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just call a bunch of dealers and see if one has it in stock. If its dealer back ordered then none of them will be able to order one and get it quicker, but they don't show other dealers stock. Also a couple ebay sellers have them. The dealer should be able to install it for you if you find one even if not bought there under the circumstances.